Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
muzzonster
muzzonster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G
Kindle Dictionaries

I've started to learn french and the first problem I've faced with was the lack of a good dictionary.

The main problem I've faced with was that Kindle doesn't allow to choose PART of the word for the translation which is awful.
For example, I want to translate " l'immeuble ". The dictionary doesn't have an answer because of the apostrophe.

Any suggestions how to fix that?

I've found the same thread, but no solutions were proposed. ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/arc.../t-166174.html ).

The only one solution of the problem I can think of is to make my own dictionary which will contain all the word starting with vowels in format L'+Word.

In this case, where's it possible to find big databases with dictionaries?
muzzonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
I no longer own the Kindle Keyboard, but I remember this being a real problem. IIRC, you can highlight the whole word, including any articles (in your example 'l'immeuble'), then hit the space bar. The word should then be copied to a dialogue box where you can manually remove the article and apostrophe, then select 'Dictionary' at the bottom (by scrolling all the way to the right). My memory is a little fuzzy, though, as I haven't had a KK for over six months now.

I was very relieved to find that this is not a problem on the Kindle Touch. For instance, you can select 'l'immeuble' or even words with pronouns or guillemets attached to them (like j'apercevais -> apercevoir and «rançonneuses» -> rançonneur), and they are found correctly in the dictionary.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert