Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Finally a Free Tether for my Droid X to Nook

I rooted my Droid X, the main reason was so I could make my Nook Wi-Fi able to download books over 3G whenever I had my phone

Apparently the Droid X only did Ad-Hoc with the Free apps that were out there, and the Nook can't see Ad-Hoc networks.

Well....I found a direct hack to the NVM that allowed me to use the 3G HotSpot that came on the phone without charging me the $20-$30 for the mobile hotspot feature. You can test this because when you open a web browser it points you to verizon.com or if you didn't pay, ask you to pay. Kind of like ATT Wifi

With the hack, it just takes you to your default homepage. So viola! LOL, pretty excited. The only reason I want to tether is for the Nook in the first place LOL.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
If you're doing the "hack" I think you are, doing so expressly violates your Terms of Service and if detected (which is extremely unlikely, BTW) could result in termination of your service.

I'd suggest using the Free Wireless Tether app (http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/) instead since you're already a root user. It does support infrastructure-mode to act as a true wireless access point instead of just an ad-hoc network, without violating your carrier's ToS.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh I know it does. I've nevet cared about that though. The wireless tether and the barnacle tether provide ad-hoc only on the Droid X unfortuneatly which the nook doesn't support, which is why I went this route.
Old 11-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Ah, yes, the wireless chip in the phone does have to support infrastructure mode. I wasn't aware that the Droid X couldn't do it.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:21 PM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

Yeah would have made things much easier lol.
At least I found a solution. Even if I did have to violate the TOS.
Advert