Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-28-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nook Simple Touch Info I Gathered

I've been researching the Nook Simple Touch for my son who dropped his Sony PRS-505 and it died. I've collected various bits and pieces of information about the NST from this forum and thought others considering purchasing the NST might find it useful. I don't own a NST (although when my Sony dies, I plan to). All of this information comes from the forum. I hope this is useful to anyone also researching the NST.

Information gathered about the Nook Simple Touch:

WiFi is required to register the Nook. It seems that the Nook will not work without being registered, however there are instructions for avoiding registration here (the steps must be done before setting up the Nook):
http://raviudeshi.com/2011/11/nook-t...p-registration
Some users suggest not registering the Nook can cause battery life issues.

Registration requires an e-mail address which isn't actually checked. There is an "erase and de-register" option if you buy a used Nook which resets the registration and deletes books currently on the Nook (but not on the SD card).

You can't delete a book from the Nook using the Nook itself. You have to do it through your PC.

B&N may load sample books to your Nook if you turn on WiFi. There is currently no way to opt out of receiving sample books. Some users turn WiFi off to avoid getting the sample books and sideload books from their PC to the Nook.

Sideloading means plugging the Nook into your PC with a USB cable and either drag and drop the books to the Nook or use Calibre to copy books to the Nook.

Books you purchase from B&N or other sources can be sideloaded if you don't want to use WiFi.

You can download books from your library and sideload them to the Nook.
To read DRM books, you need to authorize your Nook with Adobe Digital Editions. Connect the Nook to your PC while Adobe Digital Editions is active. Adobe Digital Editions will ask you to authorize your Nook.

You will lose the cover image when side-loading ebooks onto the SD card. To keep your cover image, simply use Calibre and convert EPUB to EPUB. Then transfer the file over to your Nook.

It is suggested to navigate to the Home screen before plugging in your Nook to the computer. When finished, eject the Nook before unplugging. This prevents a bug in the Nook forgetting what page you were on.

Some Nooks seem to have an issue where the battery life drops quickly.
If this happens, try updating the firmware.
You can sideload the update to firmware if you don't want to use WiFi.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Soft...ouch/379003175
If battery life is still a problem, let the Nook get below 10% and then charge it.
After recharging from 10%, reboot the Nook. Some users repeat this process.
If this doesn't work, call B&N customer service to arrange for an exchange at a B&N store. I am not sure how long after you purchase the Nook you can do this.

If you update the firmware on the Nook, the bookshelves (organization of books that you set up) may disappear, especially if the books are on the SD card.

To use folders (instead of Collections) on Nook, select My files in the library. You will lose the ability to see covers.

The Nook can read ADE DRM, which is used by Kobo and Sony. B&N uses its own unique DRM and cannot be read on a Sony or a Kobo but Kobo and Sony books can be read on a Nook.

Turning the page by touching the screen cannot be turned off. Some users find pages are accidentally turned while they are holding the Nook and would prefer the Nook had an option for button-only page turning. Rooting the Nook and using CoolReader has been suggested as a solution.

Cases:

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products...k+simple+touch

http://www.amazon.com/iPearl-mCover%...dp/B005IBVJXS/

http://www.skindigitalstore.com/cate...-Simple-Touch/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

How to add custom fonts using a Calibre plug-in
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=178623

Hopefully if I've made any mistakes, a NST owner will correct me.

Last edited by ElsieC; 10-12-2012 at 01:09 PM.
ElsieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Hughdal
Connoisseur
Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.Hughdal can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Ex Sony-Ex Nook-New PW User
Thank you for collecting and sharing your Nook information. Very much appreciated.

Hughdal
Hughdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #3
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElsieC View Post
Registration requires a name, e-mail address, and valid credit card
No, it doesn't! All it requires is an e-mail address. I don't remember if you need to give a name as well. Neither name (if needed) nor e-mail address is checked.
Credit card absolutely not needed!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #4
ElsieC
Zealot
ElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmosElsieC has become one with the cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
No, it doesn't! All it requires is an e-mail address. I don't remember if you need to give a name as well. Neither name (if needed) nor e-mail address is checked.
Credit card absolutely not needed!
Thank you Asa. I have updated the part about just email address being needed for registration.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
hesham.alnaggar
hesham.alnaggar began at the beginning.

Device: galaxy tab10.1
Thanks for your effort
hesham.alnaggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Very good summary.

One issue/solution you might consider adding:

You will lose the cover image when side-loading ebooks onto the SD card. To keep your cover image, simply use calibre and convert epub to epub. Then transfer the file over to your nook.

Every ebook I acquire goes through that process before I put it onto my nook.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-08-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 PM   #7
ElsieC
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

You will lose the cover image when side-loading ebooks onto the SD card. To keep your cover image, simply use calibre and convert epub to epub. Then transfer the file over to your nook.
Thanks so much. I've added it near the section on sideloading.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
You might add that while B&N apply their own version of DRM, it can be removed with a plug-in for Calibre which will produce a standard epub file that should be readable across platforms. The plug-in and a bunch of other tools/plug-ins can be found at [google apprentice alf - MODERATOR] and should only be used on ebooks that belong to you.

I mention this only because in my mind DRM that prevents you from using a book that you paid for on other devices or platforms you own does not protect the author or publisher, it merely restricts the user. You paid for the privilege of reading the book, why should the company you bought the book from determine which devices must be used to read it? I do not feel it should be necessary to give up material I've paid for because I prefer reading it on another company's device which I may own now or in the future.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-26-2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: .com address deleted.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
ladyashk
Enthusiast
ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600 (2009, Nook Simple Touch (2012), KPW2 (2013), KPW4 (2021)
Love all this information about the Nook. And did you also know that sideloaded books have a measly 236MB on the device? The rest should go on a SD card. B&N reserves all the other space for their own books- incidentally, none of which I am planning to buy.
ladyashk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 01:44 AM   #10
Lord Mahoney
Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lord Mahoney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyashk View Post
Love all this information about the Nook. And did you also know that sideloaded books have a measly 236MB on the device? The rest should go on a SD card. B&N reserves all the other space for their own books- incidentally, none of which I am planning to buy.
Since the prices are quite reasonable (and some are better than on Kindle), a lot of people do consider buying.
Lord Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
Lori Reeser
Enthusiast
Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lori Reeser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tab M10
It's best to get a SD card for non B&N items.

I have had my Nook for almost a year and have found an easily avoided glitch. A few times I have tried to do too much to fast (open and close too many apps or books). As a result the Nook has frozen and needed to be powered down and re-started. It's not a big deal to me because I want to be reminded that this is for reading, not playing. However, each time this has happened I have lost all non B&N data - pictures, files and books - that have been stored on the Nook. Data stored on the SD has not been lost. Since all my non-B&N stuff on my Nook is also on my PC I've been ok.
Lori Reeser is offline   Reply With Quote