Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #31
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by doone View Post
You may be on the money there. If you click on the little pink arrow above Android Apps in this tech specs page, the screen on the kobo changes to show you the apps homepage - there is an icon for GetJar Apps right there. But don't blink, you'll miss it.
//www.kobobooks.com/kobovox_tech[/URL]
Yes I see the Icon. I had to refresh the page twice before I saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
So can my Nook Color. Vox specs match those of my NC, so there's no point in getting one.

It'll do well in markets that don't have the Color or Fire.
I agree, no reason to dicth my nook for this.

However there are several major differences between the two.
  • Vox is running stock 2.3. //Nook has a home brew running 2.2
  • Vox is Open no hacking required. You can install any app you wish from GetJar and Amazon appstore //Nook is closed.
  • Vox has a different form factor. Many folks complain about the weight of the nook.
Last and most important.
  • Vox has AFFS+* vs. nooks IPS.

*AFFS+ is suppose to be REALLY good in daylight with similar screen quality of IPS.

Since this device is sold as a reading device and not a tablet the screen alone is reason to buy this over the nook and Fire.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
However there are several major differences between the two.
  • Vox is running stock 2.3. //Nook has a home brew running 2.2
  • Vox is Open no hacking required. You can install any app you wish from GetJar and Amazon appstore //Nook is closed.
  • Vox has a different form factor. Many folks complain about the weight of the nook.
Last and most important.

*AFFS+ is suppose to be REALLY good in daylight with similar screen quality of IPS.

Since this device is sold as a reading device and not a tablet the screen alone is reason to buy this over the nook and Fire.

=X=
I can see the 1.6 oz weight difference and AFFS+ display as a factor for those using the Vox as an ereader. Since I'm using a device of this type as a tablet, those features are totally irrelevant for me.

Waiting to see how the Vox, Fire, and NC II do in the real world.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #33
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
Looks like you found a solution! I'm eyeballing it - would get it faster and cheaper than the pre-order I have in for the Lenovo. It's weird, I keep looking at these other deals going on, whether it's a refurb sale on NC or a new budget tablet, but I keep going back to the A1. But the Vox is tempting (I've ruled NC out a couple of times now), even if it's "old" specs. I don't need a V6 when a V4 does just fine for my needs.
Yes It has everything I need in a tablet. I like way better then the Kindle Fire and the weight is a biggie to me. It's much better then other tablets I have looked at.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #34
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
And here's a Youtube add http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnbpq...eature=related
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #35
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
I don't need a V6 when a V4 does just fine for my needs.
That's just wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I can see the 1.6 oz weight difference and AFFS+ display as a factor for those using the Vox as an ereader. Since I'm using a device of this type as a tablet, those features are totally irrelevant for me..
There is something in the design of the nook that makes it feel heavy. I think it's the thin edges that put pressure on the hands.

However my response was targeted to your comment. The "Vox will do good in places where the nook and Fire aren't sold". Point is I disagree there is several good reason why folks would pick up the Vox over the nook/Fire. Just because you nor I would pick one up doesn't mean there isn't value.

I'm not sure how your comment on the AFFS screen applies only to folks who want to read. This applies to anybody wanting to use the device in the sun regardless if the use is for reading or using the tablet.

But the sunlight use is hypothetical until the Vox is released we won't know how good it is in direct sunlight.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #36
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Nah. It's being sold as a tablet as well - otherwise they wouldn't bother emphasising the Android aspect and being able to install apps. They'd just talk about being able to read magazines, comics, and children's books in color.

Last edited by JD Gumby; 10-20-2011 at 07:40 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #37
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Yes I see the Icon. I had to refresh the page twice before I saw it.

[*]Vox is running stock 2.3. //Nook has a home brew running 2.2[*]Vox is Open no hacking required. You can install any app you wish from GetJar and Amazon appstore //Nook is closed.[*]Vox has a different form factor. Many folks complain about the weight of the nook.[/LIST]Last and most important.

=X=
AFFS+ displays are amazing. I have just a AFFS on an old TC1100 from 8 years ago that I don't get rid of because the display is so amazing. Its very vivid color, awesome viewing angles.. 240 nits means you can see it outside.. I love IPS screens also, but if I had to pick, I'd go with Hydis AFFS hands down..

AFFS+ is the screens they use on Motion Computing View anyway screen.. those are 2 grand + tablets..

It comes down to specs vs ecosystem vs price vs best bang for the buck..
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #38
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
AFFS+ displays are amazing. I have just a AFFS on an old TC1100 from 8 years ago that I don't get rid of because the display is so amazing. Its very vivid color, awesome viewing angles.. 240 nits means you can see it outside.. I love IPS screens also, but if I had to pick, I'd go with Hydis AFFS hands down..

AFFS+ is the screens they use on Motion Computing View anyway screen.. those are 2 grand + tablets..

It comes down to specs vs ecosystem vs price vs best bang for the buck..
Hmmm. Wonder why the $400+ tablets aren't using this.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #39
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
If Apple hadn't started making Tablets with IPS screens, we'd probably still have crappy tablets. Now it seems that is a spec you have to have to compete, and I'm glad. Kobo just one up everyone on screen, although most people probably have never heard of an AFFS screen so I don't know how much traction they'll get from it.

I can't tell you how many convertible tablets I bought where the screens viewing angles weren't even readable(-coughs- HP) in tablet mode if it were flat on a table. So thank you Apple for pushing these companies to start making better stuff. Now I'm actually having to chose who to buy.. what a dilemma I like having.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:30 AM   #40
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I wonder why we didn't get a sneak peek of the Vox at some of the recent techie conferences? It'd be nice to see people actually messing with it (well, lightly messing with it) instead of the PR ad. Maybe they were still working out some sizable kinks at the time and didn't want hiccups on camera.

The press releases say it'll be sold at Best Buy and the like but not when. I assume after the ship date, but it'd be nice to know how much of a window I have before my other tablet ships (and cancel in time, if I change my mind on it).
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:54 AM   #41
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
May be just because of lack of manufacturing/supply-right now they seem to be mostly used in a pretty specialized niche for displays (cockpits).

If Kobo is successful with their tablet, manufacturers may gear up to handle enough volume to make it more popular. And there were rumors earlier in the year that Amazon was looking at the tech for their future tablets-seems like a nice fit for both of them actually.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #42
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
This is purely conjecture on my part, but connecting the dots on the AFFS+ display ... Indigo Books and Music, here in Canada, is the majority shareholder of Kobo (either 59% or 60% - I've seen both figures quoted.) The CEO of Indigo is Heather Reisman. She's married to Onex Corporation CEO Gerald Schwartz. One on Onex's subsidiaries is Spirit AeroSystems. I wonder if someone along the way thought, "Hmmm, why not use an airplane cockpit display in Kobo's ereader."

Last edited by Suzanna; 10-21-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:07 PM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
The press releases say it'll be sold at Best Buy and the like but not when. I assume after the ship date, but it'd be nice to know how much of a window I have before my other tablet ships (and cancel in time, if I change my mind on it).
They are on both the Canadian and US Best Buy sites now.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #44
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
To pre-order now, but they're not out on the floor. :-(
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #45
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sao View Post
Indigo Books and Music, here in Canada, is the majority shareholder of Kobo (either 59% or 60% - I've seen both figures quoted.)
Indigo incubated Kobo, when it was then called Short Covers, but has since spun it off and owns approximately 51%. Hong Kong based investment group Cheung Kong Holdings appears to be the second largest holder. Borders' stake was approximately 11%; it's not clear if these shares were "reabsorbed" pro-rata among existing shareholders.

You can find out more here: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/investor-relations/

Interestingly, B&N has its next earnings release on Nov 22 and, just this morning, its Chief Financial Officer resigned abruptly, including his role as director in the company.

Indigo reports its recent performance on Nov 7; perhaps we will learn new things about Kobo then. Happily, that will be several days since the release of the Kobo Vox so some colour may be added to the financial commentary about that ... and that will still be a full week before Kindle Fire comes to market.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-reader, kobo, tablet