Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #1
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
Segmentation faults running most programs

I was playing around, now I'm in a pickle:

Tons of programs give me a "Segmentation fault". I have a modified /etc/profile that loads /mnt/us/.bashrc that loads all my other directories, libs, and binaries in /mnt/us/usr and /mnt/us/bin ...

anything I can do other than kubrick?

even /bin/vi is a Seg fault...

I rebooted the Kindle multiple times (3 or 4).
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
I was playing around, now I'm in a pickle:

Tons of programs give me a "Segmentation fault". I have a modified /etc/profile that loads /mnt/us/.bashrc that loads all my other directories, libs, and binaries in /mnt/us/usr and /mnt/us/bin ...

anything I can do other than kubrick?

even /bin/vi is a Seg fault...

I rebooted the Kindle multiple times (3 or 4).
What one thing is common to all of the failing programs ?

That was a rhetorical question.
The "C" library.

Is there among all of the things you have added, a non-Amazon "C" library ?
If so, remove it.

If you system is now too crippled to run the commands you probably need to un-do whatever you have done - - -
Then you could try placing a **STATICALLY LINKED** copy of Busybox on the system and use it's shell and utilities.

OR

KUBRICK back to a known starting point.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Twobob PMed me and suggested the same - rename my custom .bashrc to go back to the system libs and work from there. Trying now. Thanks for the help!

Edit: oh, yeah! that at least lets me run the builtin stuff. Now to track down the mess I made! Thanks AGAIN!

Last edited by brianinmaine; 04-20-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 AM   #4
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Also, try running "mntus --fsck umount", and then rebooting.

I need to do that all the time. For some reason, debian wheezy corrupts my kindle as soon as I plug it in.

Last edited by aditya3098; 04-21-2013 at 01:42 AM.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya3098 View Post
Also, try running "mntus --fsck umount", and then rebooting.

I need to do that all the time. For some reason, debian wheezy corrupts my kindle as soon as I plug it in.
All is better now. I had copied another libc to my path, I removed it and now all is as before. Thanks for the help, I was very concerned I really broke something, glad it was really a minor thing!
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
All is better now. I had copied another libc to my path, I removed it and now all is as before. Thanks for the help, I was very concerned I really broke something, glad it was really a minor thing!
sometimes, even a crazy old man makes a lucky guess:
https://bitbucket.org/knc1
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote