Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 10-16-2020, 03:20 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Battery info does not update

I have updated the firmware in my Kobo Aura to 4.24.15676, and KOReader to v2020.10, and now it seems that the battery status in KOReader is not updating.

Both the battery in the status bar and in the menus seem to be stuck at whatever level there was when KOReader starts, and the battery statistics show 0% discharge, even after reading for half an hour and sleeping for a couple days. This was not the case before the updates. The clock, page counts etc. in the status bar update correctly. If I exit back to Nickel, I see a lower battery level, and starting KOReader again shows this lower level.

Is this a known bug/issue? Did I miss some setting?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
That's... weird. That isn't cached anywhere, the procfs entry is read every time it's displayed.

Which would imply the procfs entry itself is stuck. Which, hey, has happened before, the battery gauge is terrible on Kobo, especially on anything < Mk. 7.

I'd try a good old full reboot .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, I should have tried before. Did a reboot now, the battery went from 93% (KOReader) to 89% (Nickel) and 89% (KOReader). I'll come back tomorrow and tell you what it says then
Old 10-16-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, random jumps after a reboot are also "normal" (*sigh* ^^).
Old 10-17-2020, 02:52 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

(I didn't think it was "random", it was just the battery usage that KOReader didn't see, because it was stuck at 93%)

Well, it didn't work. The battery was at 89% for the whole session yesterday and stays at 89% today (I passed a couple of pages to make sure it updates). Battery statistics show 2h15 awake and 82h45 sleeping since last charge, but 0.00% consumed everywhere. Again, exiting to Nickel shows 87%, and starting KOReader now shows 87% in KOReader too.

If it matters, I'm starting KOReader with NickelMenu, with ":cmd_spawn :quiet:exec /mnt/onboard/.adds/koreader/koreader.sh"
Advert
Old 10-17-2020, 10:02 AM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Hmm.

* Try monitoring /sys/class/power_supply/mc13892_bat/capacity yourself in a shell.
* Disable the battery statistics plugin.

And, eventually:

* Reboot, and check if it *actually* ticks in plain Nickel, just in case.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2020 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:02 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
* Try monitoring /sys/class/power_supply/mc13892_bat/capacity yourself in a shell.
* Disable the battery statistics plugin.
I did the monitoring from within KOReader, with terminal emulator, issuing "cat /sys/class/power_supply/mc13892_bat/capacity". It just gave the same stuck number as the battery icon.

Quote:
* Reboot, and check if it *actually* ticks in plain Nickel, just in case.
I did. I actually reinstalled the unpatched firmware. In Nickel I could see the battery level going down a couple of times, although both times it was when I removed and reinserted the SD card. I'm not sure if that triggered it or just that rescanning the card consumed enough battery. Started KOReader again, frontlight to maximum, no change. Back to Nickel: battery went down.

That's another thing, actually. It seems when I exit KOReader and get back to Nickel I get the message: "We could't recognize your Micro SD card. Please format it to FAT32 and try again" and no books. Removing and reinserting the card works fine, though (and in KOreader I'm reading books from the card).
Old 10-17-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's... still a bit unclear .

I'd try checking what happens in Nickel, with the device just basically sitting with the Wi-Fi enabled and the Wi-Fi popup open. That'll prevent Wi-Fi from going down, and should ensure a fairly steady drain on the battery. Should be fairly obvious in a shell session after a few minutes.
Old 10-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

As far as the SD card is concerned, does this help?

Code:
diff --git a/platform/kobo/nickel.sh b/platform/kobo/nickel.sh
index 6bc9645f..f0a33a60 100755
--- a/platform/kobo/nickel.sh
+++ b/platform/kobo/nickel.sh
@@ -82,4 +82,9 @@ sync
 LIBC_FATAL_STDERR_=1 /usr/local/Kobo/nickel -platform kobo -skipFontLoad &
 [ "${PLATFORM}" != "freescale" ] && udevadm trigger &

+# Handle sdcard
+if [ -e "/dev/mmcblk1p1" ]; then
+    echo sd add /dev/mmcblk1p1 >>/tmp/nickel-hardware-status &
+fi
+
 return 0
(That file ends up as nickel.sh at the root of the koreader folder).

EDIT: Yeah, c.f., https://github.com/koreader/koreader/pull/6800

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:03 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Okay, I just remembered that I have an H2O and an old µSD card.

Confirmed. The bad news is, I can reproduce it on vanilla Nickel. It appears having an SD card inserted adversely affects the PMIC's ability to provide reliable information about the battery's state or something...

That bit of kernel code is quite frankly... an unreadable mess, so, who knows what's happening there.

On the other hand, the kernel on my H2O hasn't been updated since January 2017, so it's quite likely a *really* old bug.

EDIT: On the other hand, if I push the CPU to max clockspeed for a sustained period of time by essentially busy-looping, it works. o_O.

EDIT²: Not *completely* sure it's entirely SD-card related, because the gauge is generally still crap even without one, especially on < Mk. 6.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-18-2020, 02:39 AM   #11
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Well, it seemed to work reasonably well with 4.22.15190 and 2020.06 (I believe those were the versions I had before). I could try downgrading one or the other, but since this is my only reader I'd prefer avoiding too many experiments
Old 10-18-2020, 05:14 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

It's true that the battery gauge is not completely reliable in Nickel.

I turned on the wifi, opened a telnet session with NM, and ran "watch cat /sys/class/power_supply/mc13892_bat/capacity". It showed 80% for more than 20 minutes. Then I went to "My Books", back to "Home", and now it starts showing 76%. However, although unreliable, it seems to change eventually. Maybe it's only updated every x minutes, or it needs some triggering action.

Hm... Still with "watch" running, I started KOReader, it showed 76%. After a short while I noticed the "watch" was giving 72. Paged a couple of times in KOReader, opened a menu... still 76% there. So I went to try the terminal emulator, and now (just by opening the menu) it showed 72%. My point: there is definitely some delay/caching here. Corollary: Now there was some change in KOReader, and the battery statistics at least shows some consumption.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:35 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Jellby: Okay, that last one is a much more interesting observation .

I double-checked, nothing *should* be caching that value (except the kernel itself, so it'd require *extremely* unlucky timing for your cat and KOReader to disagree if read at roughly the same time), and I definitely don't see it happening over here.

* Try 2020.10.1 (the initial 2020.10 release shipped with a... finicky LuaJIT build).
* Try disabling the battery stats plugin.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2020 at 10:40 AM.
Old 10-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I double-checked, nothing *should* be caching that value
Apparently, I wasn't quite thorough enough ^^.

PowerD:getCapacity will only query the hardware if the last query was more than a minute ago .

EDIT: And that since... basically forever. The current heuristic since 2017, and before that it was only queried once every ten queries.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2020 at 11:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2020, 02:50 AM   #15
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Maybe I was being a little impatient. I thought two days at 100% was not realistic and something was stuck. Now, third day, it's at 98%.