Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #8431
cc_in_oh
Joker
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post
I've tried books by three of these authors and from those 3 I prefer vastly Rankin to the rest.
I finished the 3rd Tana French last night and was very disappointed with it. I thought the middle of the Rebus series was great but overall I liked Nesbo best - it's definitely not for everyone though. I'm going to try a second Jack Irish next...

Some of the Longmires were pretty good too.
cc_in_oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #8432
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I finished the 3rd Tana French last night and was very disappointed with it. I thought the middle of the Rebus series was great but overall I liked Nesbo best - it's definitely not for everyone though. I'm going to try a second Jack Irish next...

Some of the Longmires were pretty good too.
I've never tried the Walt Longmires. It gave off a vibe of living for the atmosphere instead of servicing the plot.

Nesbo is one where the first book's translation was bothersome.

Rankin is my favorite, but only half or rather a third of his output is worthy of rereading.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #8433
cc_in_oh
Joker
cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cc_in_oh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've never tried the Walt Longmires. It gave off a vibe of living for the atmosphere instead of servicing the plot.

Nesbo is one where the first book's translation was bothersome.

Rankin is my favorite, but only half or rather a third of his output is worthy of rereading.
I never reread a book or watch a TV show twice. I do a lot of highlighting though so if I get into a discussion about a book or series I can review my notes.

The middle of Rebus was consistently better, when Clarke was operating as an equal partner. I dropped the series after the 1st book but fortunately was persuaded to give it a second chance.

Adler-Olsen's Dept. Q was a lot of fun to read - good storytelling along with healthy doses of black humor and absurdity - right up my alley.

Craig Johnson is also a good storyteller, and the Longmire show was cast pretty well except Sackhoff as Vic - I don't know what they were thinking.

Almost all series improve from the 1st book or 3. I really wanted to like Tana French, mainly because of the STARZ adaptation, but this series is going in the wrong direction IMO. I'm still planning to watch the show when it comes out on DVD, maybe that will motivate me to give it one more try.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #8434
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:

Craig Johnson is also a good storyteller, and the Longmire show was cast pretty well except Sackhoff as Vic - I don't know what they were thinking.
I don't know, but I think Lou Diamond Phillips as Henry Standing Bear was a poor choice. About like Tom Cruise as Reacher.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #8435
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Morgan Microfiction, RPG Art, and More!

Morgan Microfiction, RPG Art, and More!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2020, 06:48 PM   #8436
cc_in_oh
Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I don't know, but I think Lou Diamond Phillips as Henry Standing Bear was a poor choice. About like Tom Cruise as Reacher.
Apache
It's true he's nowhere near the required stature, but I thought they did a decent job of writing around that. After all Walt and Henry (and Bosch) were all in Viet Nam but you don't want the show to portray them as present-day geezers either.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:41 PM   #8437
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's true he's nowhere near the required stature, but I thought they did a decent job of writing around that. After all Walt and Henry (and Bosch) were all in Viet Nam but you don't want the show to portray them as present-day geezers either.
He is more gullible and naïve than Henry. And in a fight he is inept and lacking even the basic self defense skills of Henry.
Apache
Old 02-05-2020, 04:19 AM   #8438
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
It says it contains spoilers for
Quote:
WARNING: Contains MAJOR SPOILERS for Turn Coat, Changes, and Cold Days!
Anyone care to explain which spoilers for Changes and Cold Days? Turn Coat is obvious.

Spoiler:

I mean, it is clear that it spoils Turn Coat, since Morgan dies. But he been already dead by Changes and Cold Days. Harry and Morgan made their peace before his death.

DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #8439
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Manga
Quote:
I never reread a book or watch a TV show twice. I do a lot of highlighting though so if I get into a discussion about a book or series I can review my notes.

The middle of Rebus was consistently better, when Clarke was operating as an equal partner. I dropped the series after the 1st book but fortunately was persuaded to give it a second chance.

Adler-Olsen's Dept. Q was a lot of fun to read - good storytelling along with healthy doses of black humor and absurdity - right up my alley.

Almost all series improve from the 1st book or 3. I really wanted to like Tana French, mainly because of the STARZ adaptation, but this series is going in the wrong direction IMO. I'm still planning to watch the show when it comes out on DVD, maybe that will motivate me to give it one more try.
I too never used to reread, but though this habit is still a rarity, I allow for it now and then. I've a weakness for the Harry Potter books. It seems that my memory is not as good as you since there are books that I've rated highly but whose content is no longer part of my remembrance. These books entice me. I am yet to reread them. Since buying new e-books has become a rarity for me, I can envisage rereading.

Rankin : I'm glad Rebus and Clarke didn't become an item. The books around Fleshmarket Close and including are the best.

As for movies I now almost never watch them.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:12 AM   #8440
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
I nearly croaked trying to watch Longmire. I mean...the show was, in many ways, fine. Not outstanding, not The Wire, but mostly watchable.

And then they did some incredibly stupid s**t.

The biggie for me, having lived in Alaska and with our place in the Wyoming mountains, is that they had some early episode where the Sheriff, dressed in nothing but regular clothes, one flannel shirt, and a flimsy jacket, not only chases some (properly-equipped) criminal across the wilds, in snow, ice, etc., but then FALLS in a stream, and gets out, in this sub-zero weather and proceeds to beat the high holy crap out of the requisite bad guy. Uh. no. That's NOT what happens when it's below 0F or lower and you get WET.

That put me off rather majorly, such a disregard for something that many millions of people know, factually, couldn't happen. It's like something out of an Ahnuld movie from the 80's.

Then they did something else--granted, this was much later--where Walt and Vic drive "down to Arizona." Fine, hell, I make that same drive all the time.

However, you don't make that drive in two hours. If we drive hard, from Phoenix area to the Upper Hoback, (western side of Wyoming), it's 15 HOURS. In the show, Vic is talking to the other deputy, on the phone, back in Wherever Wyoming and tells him that she and Walt will leave (Arizona) in the morning for their drive back and that they'll see so-and-so, in Wyoming, "at lunch." Uh, no, you really won't. Not lunch the same day you left, toots.

That's the kind of stuff that just slays me. None of it is hard for a writer to check. There are a lot of things that I'll give writers a pass on; I don't expect them, for example, to have local knowledge, or know that the Something-Cafe has the best bearclaws for 50 miles around--but they CAN look at a map! And they could do 5 minutes' of research to know that sub-zero temps and falling in water don't mix.

Just ridiculous.

Having not read the books, I got nuthin' on casting. :-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:30 AM   #8441
cc_in_oh
Joker

Quote:
I too never used to reread, but though this habit is still a rarity, I allow for it now and then. I've a weakness for the Harry Potter books. It seems that my memory is not as good as you since there are books that I've rated highly but whose content is no longer part of my remembrance. These books entice me. I am yet to reread them. Since buying new e-books has become a rarity for me, I can envisage rereading.

Rankin : I'm glad Rebus and Clarke didn't become an item. The books around Fleshmarket Close and including are the best.

As for movies I now almost never watch them.
My memory is nothing to write home about - it's just that there are far too many books and far too little time. I also never buy books unless none of my libraries have them. Using Overdrive's "recommend" usually gets me new books within 2 weeks of release.

I don't watch movies but I love the Acorn and BBC mystery series like Shetland, Line of Duty, Luther, Brokenwood, Broadchurch, Whitechapel, Morse/Lewis/Endeavour etc. etc.

Rankin handled the complicated relationship between Rebus and Clarke pretty well. I'd have liked to see her get her own books, like Connelly's Ballard.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:32 AM   #8442
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I nearly croaked trying to watch Longmire. I mean...the show was, in many ways, fine. Not outstanding, not The Wire, but mostly watchable.

And then they did some incredibly stupid s**t.

The biggie for me, having lived in Alaska and with our place in the Wyoming mountains, is that they had some early episode where the Sheriff, dressed in nothing but regular clothes, one flannel shirt, and a flimsy jacket, not only chases some (properly-equipped) criminal across the wilds, in snow, ice, etc., but then FALLS in a stream, and gets out, in this sub-zero weather and proceeds to beat the high holy crap out of the requisite bad guy. Uh. no. That's NOT what happens when it's below 0F or lower and you get WET.

That put me off rather majorly, such a disregard for something that many millions of people know, factually, couldn't happen. It's like something out of an Ahnuld movie from the 80's.

Then they did something else--granted, this was much later--where Walt and Vic drive "down to Arizona." Fine, hell, I make that same drive all the time.

However, you don't make that drive in two hours. If we drive hard, from Phoenix area to the Upper Hoback, (western side of Wyoming), it's 15 HOURS. In the show, Vic is talking to the other deputy, on the phone, back in Wherever Wyoming and tells him that she and Walt will leave (Arizona) in the morning for their drive back and that they'll see so-and-so, in Wyoming, "at lunch." Uh, no, you really won't. Not lunch the same day you left, toots.

That's the kind of stuff that just slays me. None of it is hard for a writer to check. There are a lot of things that I'll give writers a pass on; I don't expect them, for example, to have local knowledge, or know that the Something-Cafe has the best bearclaws for 50 miles around--but they CAN look at a map! And they could do 5 minutes' of research to know that sub-zero temps and falling in water don't mix.

Just ridiculous.

Having not read the books, I got nuthin' on casting. :-)

Hitch
I quit watching it because of stupid stuff like this and it seemed to be turning into a soap opera.
Apache
Old 02-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #8443
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool What’s in this week’s Dresden Drop?

See post Here!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 03:27 PM   #8444
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Finished Dead Beat. I'll try to fit in the next book towards the end of the month. Waiting for my Audible credit to do a preorder Peace Talks as I'm cancelling my membership until November.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #8445
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
See post Here!

This week was a little Meh! Maybe next week will be a little more interesting. I wouldn't mind a micro fiction each week. Talking about which, are all of them come out as a compilation, or is it cut and paste and make ebooks out of them?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy