Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-19-2019, 07:45 PM   #1
Nathan Brazil
Gaming Ludographer
Nathan Brazil began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 PC
Request: PDF Custom Properties fields

So I started using Calibre and it is excellent in collecting metadata with its search tools and organizing the data. For output of PDF I CAN USE the metadata plugin mapping to write out to the Description fields. Wonderful! So what is missing? Why must I whine?

I use a Windows 10 machine (and previously 7, vista, etc.) along with a Android tablet. Over the years, I have collected metadata into the PDF books placed them into various places in the Description and created new Custom Properties. I write the metadata into the PDF file because the extra properties/metadata persist when transferred to non-NTFS formatted storage and then back to NTFS storage if it is kept in the file. I have many, many (5000+) PDF files.

With that background in mind, would it be possible to write out to Custom Properties metadata fields?

Last edited by Nathan Brazil; 02-19-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: Adding humor?
Nathan Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Nathan Brazil
Gaming Ludographer

In addition I recently have come across a Windows File Property Handler that allows the display of PDF Description fields and the Custom Properties fields called :
Company
Category
Comments
found here :PDF Property Extension COM. I ask because the origination/source files are in PDF files scanned with diagrams and/purchased in that format. A generic custom properties writer would be more useful.

Last edited by Nathan Brazil; 02-19-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: add more detail
Advert
Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All calibre metadata is written to PDF files, as a Dublin Core metadata block in the XMP metadata.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:58 PM   #4
Nathan Brazil
Gaming Ludographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
All calibre metadata is written to PDF files, as a Dublin Core metadata block in the XMP metadata.
Your answer is shrouded in technicality. Do you mean Yes or No in ability or interest? Despite years of reading, Adobe Acrobat files and programming is not an area I am trained in.

Also What do you mean by calibre metadata? By this do you mean
A.ONLY calibre core originated fields such as Title, Author. Author Sort, Publisher
or
B.ALL COLUMNS in a calibre entry, whether as part of the installation AND IN ADDITION those created by the end user? Example: I created "#product" (Product Number aka SKU aka "Stock Keepin created by the end userg Unit") It is an informal games industry standard used in conjunction or substitution for ISBN.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:33 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
All calibre metadata. Try it for yourself. Add a PDF file, edit whatever metadata you are interested in. Save it to disk. Delete thebook, add it back. All th metadata should be preserved.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert