Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-20-2019, 03:23 AM   #16
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 8+ & iPad Pro
Actually the iPad has officially had its OS forked. The first iPadOS release coincides with the release of 13.1, but it needn’t be the case that it release at the same time as any version of iOS going forward.
Dylrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 08:12 PM   #17
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just discovered that you can configure your phone to use less data on specific wifi networks! Just go into Wifi settings, tap the (i) to the right of the network, and select "Low Data Mode".

This will be great for guest networks that restrict, or charge based on, how much data is used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	559CC722-6BA1-451F-9D7D-76A1FF45AF7C.png
Views:	20
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	173617  
Old 09-21-2019, 08:16 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Update is still not showing up on my mini...
WHich Mini do you have? In order to be able to run iPadOS, you need an ipad Mini 4 or 5.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 02:55 AM   #19
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

So if you are going to take advantage of the new external drive support in files on the iPhone or older iPads, be aware that the USB-Lightning adapter may not supply enough power for all drives, even when plugged in. I had no problem with SSDs and jump drives, but when trying to attach a 2.5” HDD to my iPhone the drive simply wasn’t getting enough power. Fortunately I was able to get it to work with the addition of a powered hub in the chain, though unfortunately this makes the whole set up less portable than I would like.

I suppose this shouldn’t be too surprising, as the adapter wasn’t originally designed for this at all.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-22-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #20
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Notes in iOS 13.0 not auto updating

Notes in iOS 13.0 not auto updating as seamlessly as they used to in iOS 12.x. If I make a change to one or more Notes on my MBP or iPad running iOS 12.4.1, those changes do not always automatically get pushed to my iPhone XR running iOS 13.0. I had to keep trying to get them to update today, and finally closed the Notes app and re-opened it before they updated. I never had that issue before under iOS 12.x. Notes are updating automatically on my MBP and iPad though, so I think it must be a 13.0 glitch. Oh well, we are supposed to get 13.1 tomorrow, so maybe this has been fixed in it.

Mail also seems buggy, or buggier than usual. I keep getting the sound notifications for new mail, but I have to keep trying to get the Inbox to display it. Another bug in iOS 13.0 I think as I’ve never had that issue in iOS 12.x.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:43 PM   #21
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I don't like how they make you fish for app updates now. No Updates item at bottom of screen. Now you have to press on your photo at top, then scroll down the window that displays. It never makes sense to add steps to a function.
If you 3D touch / long press on the app store icon, a context menu will come up that includes an option to go straight to updates.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:24 PM   #22
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
If you 3D touch / long press on the app store icon, a context menu will come up that includes an option to go straight to updates.
Thanks, but 3D touch isn't very usable for old guys like me with bad arthritis. I find that many of the 3D gestures simply are difficult for me to use. It defeats the purpose if it takes 4 or 5 attempts to get a shortcut to work. Clearly Apple cares about and caters to customers in the Millennial and younger range, but Baby Boomers not so much....

ETA: Oops, not enough coffee this morning yet! I was thinking about multi-finger UI gestures, but you were talking about a long press. That does help and takes away one step. What I said about multi-finger UI gestures above is definitely an issue for me, but not relevant here. So replace "3D touch" in my response with "multi-finger UI gestures", which BTW often hurt to do, literally...

Last edited by OtinG; 09-26-2019 at 02:31 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #23
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
Thanks, but 3D touch isn't very usable for old guys like me with bad arthritis. I find that many of the 3D gestures simply are difficult for me to use. It defeats the purpose if it takes 4 or 5 attempts to get a shortcut to work. Clearly Apple cares about and caters to customers in the Millennial and younger range, but Baby Boomers not so much....

ETA: Oops, not enough coffee this morning yet! I was thinking about multi-finger UI gestures, but you were talking about a long press. That does help and takes away one step. What I said about multi-finger UI gestures above is definitely an issue for me, but not relevant here. So replace "3D touch" in my response with "multi-finger UI gestures", which BTW often hurt to do, literally...
Well technically 3D Touch means pressure sensitivity, but that and long pressing do almost exactly the same thing in iOS 13. In fact the latest iPhones don’t even have a 3D Touch sensor.

Oh, and the assistive touch option... the same feature that they’ve bootstrapped mouse input onto.. is actually mainly designed to help people with things like multi-finger input.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-26-2019 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:58 PM   #24
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
This doesn't work well for me. I long press, the context menu comes up, then within a second, everything starts shaking to rearrange the UI.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #25
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
This doesn't work well for me. I long press, the context menu comes up, then within a second, everything starts shaking to rearrange the UI.
That's weird. The duration already seems pretty long for me. Though you can change it if you like, at least on the iPhone, by going into Accessibilities > Haptic Touch > Touch Duration
Old 09-27-2019, 07:52 AM   #26
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
That's weird. The duration already seems pretty long for me. Though you can change it if you like, at least on the iPhone, by going into Accessibilities > Haptic Touch > Touch Duration
That didn't help, it just changed how quickly the popup menu comes up, not how long it stays up.

And on 13.1 it is Accessibilties->Touch->Haptic Touch.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote