Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
lo5boy01
lo5boy01 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Exclamation battery drain of my kobo clara hd

I recently replaced my kobo mini with clara hd.
With the wifi and light off, the battery dropped to 0% in less than 3 days.
I have put the clara in my diy sleep cover. From the discussion forum, some suspected that the sleep mode using sleep cover exhausted the power rapidly.
Will kobo rectify the problem?
My kobo mini served me well without any issues for years.
It is annoying to find the reader freeze because of low battery when pick it up to read!
Is there any update firmware can fix the problem?
lo5boy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #2
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
I've noticed the same thing. My Sony Readers will go weeks in sleep mode but the Clara packs up after a couple of days. A bit disappointing.

The work-around I've found is setting the "automatic power off" to 60 minutes ("Settings" -> "Energy Saving & Privacy").

The fact that it has an automatic power off, and that the maximum time delay is only 60 minutes, seems to hint that they expect it to be shut down completely when not being used, i.e. it's not supposed to remain in sleep mode very long.

The battery life is excellent with the automatic power off set. I waded through an entire Neil Stephenson novel over the course of a couple of weeks on one charge but at the cost of having to go through the start-up drill most every time I want to read.

Edit: I just read the thread I believe you referred to. Another experiment to try might be to disable the "automatic sleep/wake with cover" feature and see what that does. Perhaps the routine to check that is consuming too much power?

Last edited by BobVA; 08-15-2019 at 10:14 AM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #3
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud ofPhil_C has much to be proud of

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
No battery problems here with Clara HD. Auto Power Off is set to Never. I use a non-Kobo sleep cover. Wi-Fi off. Light on at 20%. Battery lasts almost a month when reading about 1.5 hours daily.
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:36 PM   #4
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_C View Post
No battery problems here with Clara HD... I use a non-Kobo sleep cover.
Interesting! Thank you!
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:10 AM   #5
lo5boy01

I have turned off the auto sleep/wake mode. The reader appears to work fine. The battery stays to be 98% after a day with 45min reading.
My reader's firmware is 4.16.13162. what is the update version?
Old 08-16-2019, 05:52 AM   #6
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Hi @lo5boy01 , your firmware 4.16.13162 is for kobo clara hd? If yes, where did you download it? To me the last one for kobo clara hd is 4.15.12920. Thank you.

Last edited by fendesa; 08-16-2019 at 05:55 AM.
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fendesa View Post
Hi @lo5boy01 , your firmware 4.16.13162 is for kobo clara hd? If yes, where did you download it? To me the last one for kobo clara hd is 4.15.12920. Thank you.
That version is intended for Hong Kong customers and added zh-HK language support. I think the update is probably using geolocation to limit access. There was some discussion a while back here when geek1011 noted it in one of his checks for updated firmware.

Another good reason to put a location in your profile.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by fendesa View Post
It means @lo5boy01 is in Hong Kong. Kobo released 4.16.13162 for some devices in Hong Kong to add the appropriate locale. There were no other changes. Unless you need that locale, there is no reason to install it. It was discussed here a few weeks ago. If you want it, the link was posted.

Edit: Beaten by DNSB. And I'm sure I refreshed this thread before posting.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:22 AM   #9
fendesa
Enthusiast
fendesa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara
Thank's to: @DNSB and @davidfor .
fendesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 02:27 AM   #10
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
I too experienced significant battery drain with the sleepcover setting set to on. No such issues since I turned it to off.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 04:13 AM   #11
lo5boy01

bingo. I got the kobo clara hd at the Hong Kong bookfair.
setting the sleep mode to never, the power drain problem stopped.
Thanks.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I've never had any battery drain issue with my ClaraHD which I use with a 3rd-party sleepcover. Everything works well with firmware 4.15.12920. I never use wi-fi.

Perhaps the problems you're having are related to:
- a fault with your particular sleepcover
- a problem with firmware 4.16.13162
- a problem with wi-fi, e.g. device constantly re-trying to connect
- storing your ClaraHD in the vicinity of a second magnetic source
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:24 PM   #13
lo5boy01

I keep wifi off most of the time.
I send kobo a mail to state my concern and waiting for a reply.
I'll update the forum when reply is received.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:15 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo5boy01 View Post
I recently replaced my kobo mini with clara hd.
With the wifi and light off, the battery dropped to 0% in less than 3 days.
I have put the clara in my diy sleep cover. From the discussion forum, some suspected that the sleep mode using sleep cover exhausted the power rapidly.
Will kobo rectify the problem?
My kobo mini served me well without any issues for years.
It is annoying to find the reader freeze because of low battery when pick it up to read!
Is there any update firmware can fix the problem?
As no one has said anything, what happens if you don't you your DIY sleep cover? Based on the battery usage of my Clara HD with a genuine Kobo cover, there are no issues. Most of the issues I have seen with sleep covers have been when using a cheap cover. After some time, the cover flap stretched and the magnet wasn't always positioned correctly when I closed it. And it could move when the device was in my bag.

The other issue I see is cause by me carrying multiple devices. In my bag I will have my work laptop, an iPad, the Clara HD and the Aura ONE. The last three devices all have sleep covers and the magnets in them can interact with the other devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:18 AM   #15
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
For my part, though my cover is non-Kobo, it is not flimsy and the closed cover is also held in place with a strap.

I would close the cover at night, ensure the light went off and then place it on my bedside table. Wifi off. The next morning I would see battery drain of anywhere between 1% and 20%. Non-use drain during the day was similar. This was a consistent pattern of behaviour with different books for over a month. Eventually, I switched off the sleep-cover mode and the excessive battery drain stopped.

I have no idea why a unit which went to sleep and was left on a table should show such inconsistent battery drain, but I am happy with not using sleep-cover mode.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote