Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-17-2019, 02:17 PM   #1
degn
degn began at the beginning.

Device: iBooks on iPad Pro
How to make external link to a specific page/section in a E-book

Is it possible (with html/php) to put a direct link on an external homepage that - when clicked - directs the user to a specifik page in a e-book? How?
Regards Dan
degn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #2
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by degn View Post
Is it possible (with html/php) to put a direct link on an external homepage that - when clicked - directs the user to a specifik page in a e-book? How?
Regards Dan

According to EPUB specs, you could use CFI, but I don't know of any reader that implemented this feature. Calibre uses CFI, but I think it only works inside the book.
thiago.eec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sure if you use the viewer in the calibre content server, just copy paste the URL for any page of the book and you can use it as a direct link to that page.

And if you use the calibre viewer you can get it to open at any page by using the --open-at command line argument.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 03:06 AM   #4
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
The content server!
thiago.eec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #5
duns
Connoisseur
duns began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook
how link from localhost

I didn't manage to link an epub chapter neither from http://localhost nor from file:///mnt/my-path, even using "--open-at" as you suggested: what exactly should I do?
Thank you!
duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:16 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

open the viewer controls, click go to, copy the location, use it with --open-at.

Or if you are opening the book from inside calibre, use https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/url...cific-position
Old 10-07-2021, 05:18 AM   #7
duns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
open the viewer controls, click go to, copy the location, use it with --open-at.

Or if you are opening the book from inside calibre, use https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/url...cific-position
Thank you: but could you please tell me the correct syntax?
I tried this unsuccessfully (in the browser addressbar):
file:///my-path/my-file-name.epub%20--open-at%20epubcfi(/8/2/4/2/16/4/1:6)

"epubcfi(/8/2/4/2/16/4/1:6)" is the location inside the epub, found according to your instructions.

Last edited by duns; 10-07-2021 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2021, 06:08 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Open the book from within calibre, use the copy button in the viewer, the resulting address will work in a browser running on the same computer. If you want toacess it from a different computer you have to use the content server.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:12 AM   #9
duns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Open the book from within calibre, use the copy button in the viewer, the resulting address will work in a browser running on the same computer. If you want toacess it from a different computer you have to use the content server.
Yes, this way it works. But it is not possible open the link with the viewer, without call the calibre server?
Old 10-07-2021, 09:15 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

How would you open a book on another computer without using a server of some kind?
Old 10-07-2021, 09:58 AM   #11
duns
Connoisseur

Quote:
How would you open a book on another computer without using a server of some kind?
In the same computer, I mean.
The fact is that I don't use calibre as server (as library), but only as editor and viewer.

EDIT

EUREKA!
this code works!
file:///my-path/my-fil-name.epub?open_at=epubcfi(/10/2/4/2/132/18/1:65)

Great Kovid! Thank you!

Last edited by duns; 10-07-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:15 AM   #12
duns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by duns View Post
In the same computer, I mean.
The fact is that I don't use calibre as server (as library), but only as editor and viewer.

EDIT

EUREKA!
this code works!
file:///my-path/my-fil-name.epub?open_at=epubcfi(/10/2/4/2/132/18/1:65)

Great Kovid! Thank you!
ops... the above code doesn't work any more (with the latest calibre release)
Old 02-12-2023, 10:40 AM   #13
duns
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by duns View Post
ops... the above code doesn't work any more (with the latest calibre release)
More: ebook-viewer from terminal doesn't work at all, even in the same folder, and even the filename is without spaces.
I have Linux (KDE Neon, latest).
Old 02-14-2023, 12:01 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If the viewer is not working it will be because of broken graphics drivers. Update your GPU drivers or turn off hardware accelerationa s described in https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qtwebengine-debugging.html