Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-16-2016, 03:49 AM   #1
Skfir
Skfir began at the beginning.

Device: kindle Voyage
How to make Onyx Boox i86 total system recovery image?

Hello guys!
I have quite a bit of software on my i86, it is rooted etc. The point is I would like to make a rescue system image. Is it possible? I don't mean making backup of programs, but total system backup image. The rescue menu doesn't have the backup/restore option, so is there any other way?

Thank you!
Skfir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 AM   #2
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Onyx Boox T68 Plus
I'm not sure if there is a way to do that until someone manages to build a custom recovery (clockwork mod, twrp) for the onyx devices. How ready that is probably also depends on how supportive onyx are towards developers.
I had been thinking about this myself, but have no experience developing for a new device and currently don't have any time to learn enough about this.
Alternatively, I think of you're rooted you may be able to take a backup via adb, though I'm not quite sure exactly which commands you need.
franzli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2016, 05:31 AM   #3
Skfir

Thank you franzli... If anybody could enlighten me in terms of ADB for the sake of making a backup?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #4
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Wouldn't TitaniumBackup work for you? Alse check out the knowledgebase and this exhaustive if not exhausting review.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
Skfir

Titanium just backs up apps, it doesn't make a total image of the whole system.
Advert
Old 06-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #6
franzli
Addict
franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franzli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe this could be of help, though I haven't read through it in detail yet http://www.howtogeek.com/125375/how-...g-your-device/
Old 06-16-2016, 03:33 PM   #7
nivieru
Enthusiast
nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.nivieru has met Morla.

Device: Onyx Nova Air, Onyx boox i86ml plus, nook simple touch
Hi Skfir,

In principle, you can make an image of the entire internal storage or of selected partitions using the "dd" command from adb or a terminal emulator app (you might need to install busybox to have dd).

The problem lies when you want to use that backup:
with stock recovery you can't adb into the device while in recovery mode to restore the backup, and you definitely don't want to restore such a backup while the system is running. So it isn't very useful, really.

Maybe someone has another idea?
nivieru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
franzli
Addict

Yes sorry, just saw that the page i posted is just a backup of applications etc.
What I had in mind was what nivieru suggested. I want aware that the stock recovery won't give you adb access, that's bad. Looks like we could really use a custom recovery...
Old 06-17-2016, 02:24 AM   #9
Skfir

Thank you for answers, guys.
Can an ADB backup be used, if I put the device into the download mode? When I press both page turn buttons+power button at boot?