Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Papzap
Papzap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
jailbreak without a touchscreen

Hey, I have a Kindle Paperwhite 2 with a broken touchscreen. I'm trying to jailbreak it (my first jailbreaking attempt ever) so that I can use it as a VNC monitor for a raspberry pi computer.

I can't figure out how to jailbreak it, because it seems like I need to be able to look at information in the settings.

It wasn't my kindle, so I can't log in to Amazon and just check there.

Help?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Papzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can forget the PW2 as without a working screen, it's useless.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2020, 11:10 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Could probably be workable with serial access, with a bit of tinkering?

(e.g., should be able to login as framework:mario to lookup the S/N from /proc/usid, or maybe even the passwd file to crack it).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But you cannot use the screen for a raspberry pi since it is broken.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

capacitive layer != eink
Advert
Old 11-25-2020, 11:17 AM   #6
Papzap

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can forget the PW2 as without a working screen, it's useless.
The e-ink works, its not useless. I want to use it as an e ink monitor, touchscreen doesn't matter
Old 11-25-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
Papzap

sorry, is it possible to edit my first post for clarity?
Old 11-25-2020, 11:23 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You didn't say the screen was ok. You said it was a broken screen. The touch layer is not the same as the screen.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:29 AM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@JSWolf: Read the thread's title.

@Papzap: Not for a brand new account, unfortunately. I was going to say "PM me the new content, and I'll update it"... but you probably can't do that either .
Old 11-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
Papzap

Oh ok, just realised that, sorry. got that out of the way now, i guess. is it possible to edit my first post? I can't figure it out
Old 11-25-2020, 11:33 AM   #11
Papzap

....?? �� I don't understand this forum! wheres my posts? are they going through a filter? when will i get unfiltered?
Old 11-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #12
Papzap

... now that works? ok, well you all understand its the touchscreen now right?

how should I go about this?
Old 11-25-2020, 11:49 AM   #13
Papzap

I was trying to get a USB OTG mouse working on it so that I could look at the settings through this forum thread, but I... just didn't understand it, with such a long thread and technical terms I'm not familiar with.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #14
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, new accounts are automoderated. There should be visual feedback of that fact (on post submission), but apparently people miss it approximately 99% of the time ;p.

----

OTG is indeed another kettle of fish, potentially not for the feint of heart.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-25-2020 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:20 PM   #15
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
The only way that you'll be able to jailbreak your Kindle if the touch screen/digitiser is broken is via the serial port - it's possible to use OTG on most of the modern Kindles without too much hassle, but you need root access to load the relevant kernel modules in the first place.

Using the serial port would remove the need to connect a mouse to retrieve the S/N, too - the S/N is part of the output from U-Boot when the Kindle starts up or reboots.

The accepted wisdom is that you need a serial adapter that operates at 1.8V or else you'll fry your Kindle. This probably isn't true anymore and you should be able to use one of the cheap CP2102 or FT232RL based adapters available on eBay or Amazon. I've used both of these with various Kindles (numerous other people on this forum have too) and haven't encountered any problems yet.

Just follow the steps in this thread and you should be OK.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote