Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-25-2020, 02:22 AM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeeink View Post
I've read this a few times on this forum and must be missing something. I just set up a new Kobo Forma and it required a username *and* password, as in it required a registered account with Kobo or another service. Is this method you mentioned a non-US option?

I ended up using Sign-in with Apple, then turning off wifi, deleting the saved WiFi password, and then disabling the account in my Apple account. I wish I would have had the option to put in dummy credentials, but the generated email address being stored locally on the device and also not connected to me any longer is sufficient.
If you don't have an account, you can create one with the email you manufactured. Setting up over WiFi, you will notice a "Create new account" below the "Sign in with your account". Much the same using the Kobo Desktop application. Simply enter your fake email and a password of your choice and go for it.

I don't see a Sign-in with Apple, just Google and Facebook but that may be a matter of my affiliate being KoboIndigo or not scrolling down. This is with the 4.25.15875 firmware.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:12 AM   #32
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Sorry. I don't mean having it filled to a limit. I meant I want the archive completely empty in order to cut the number of pages on my home screen in half by only listing the books I've sideloaded from Calibre.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I actually use my Kobo Archive for that very purpose - books in my Archive don't show up on my device at all, so once I've downloaded them and "cut them in 'Alf" as it were, only the sideloaded ones show up on my Libra.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2020, 04:54 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
When you register with Amazon or Kobo, you give them explicit permission to create a profile of you and use that to send you ads, or to send that information to other companies so that they can send you ads or make predictions about your behavior. This can then be used by anyone who has the money to purchase that information. Insurance companies, credit companies, lending houses. You say "just leave WiFi off" but that's not the point -- any time you then turn WiFi on again to get updates, etc, all that data gets uploaded to their system.

And you make that trade-off -- of giving your behavioral data -- when you purchase ebooks from those companies as well.

My reading habits, including which books I read and how often, are my business. They are not anyone else's business unless I choose to share that information with them. Until these companies came along nobody felt the need to justify their privacy, and I don't feel the need to justify it now. I don't live stream my bathroom usage for the world to see, nor do I disclose what color underwear I'm wearing. Privacy is a fundamental human right, and these companies are trying to take it away for their profit. Well, fuck that.
How is this any different then buying eBooks from Kobo or Amazon. You buy an eBook and they have that information. So how can you buy eBooks without the company you are buying from knowing you bought it? It's no different. Then if you go to Overdrive and download an eBook, again, more data is collected. Sure your Reader isn't properly activated, but these companies are still going to get your data. So what's the point of not properly registering?

What privacy are you going to have not properly registered vs buying eBooks from the same place be it Amazon or Kobo? So really, not properly registering is just a false sense of security as it really doesn't mean anything.

Also, with Kobo, there is a chance that with every firmware update that one of them will not work with the fake registration and you will lose everything in the database. Is that worth the risk for a false sense of security?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:56 AM   #34
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I've read this a few times on this forum and must be missing something. I just set up a new Kobo Forma and it required a username *and* password, as in it required a registered account with Kobo or another service. Is this method you mentioned a non-US option?

I ended up using Sign-in with Apple, then turning off wifi, deleting the saved WiFi password, and then disabling the account in my Apple account. I wish I would have had the option to put in dummy credentials, but the generated email address being stored locally on the device and also not connected to me any longer is sufficient.
Yes you can edit the SQL database to fake register. But there is no guarantee that a future firmware update won't change that and you'll lose it all.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:52 AM   #35
eeeink
Banned
eeeink doesn't littereeeink doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How is this any different then buying eBooks from Kobo or Amazon. You buy an eBook and they have that information. So how can you buy eBooks without the company you are buying from knowing you bought it? It's no different. Then if you go to Overdrive and download an eBook, again, more data is collected. Sure your Reader isn't properly activated, but these companies are still going to get your data. So what's the point of not properly registering?

What privacy are you going to have not properly registered vs buying eBooks from the same place be it Amazon or Kobo? So really, not properly registering is just a false sense of security as it really doesn't mean anything.

Also, with Kobo, there is a chance that with every firmware update that one of them will not work with the fake registration and you will lose everything in the database. Is that worth the risk for a false sense of security?

At least when you buy them from those places and sideload them, the company can't track when/if/how long you read them/what you highlight, etc. But it's not much different, so that's why I don't buy books from those places. And I don't plan on updating the firmware, especially if Plato ends up being enough for me.
eeeink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2020, 12:05 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
At least when you buy them from those places and sideload them, the company can't track when/if/how long you read them/what you highlight, etc. But it's not much different, so that's why I don't buy books from those places. And I don't plan on updating the firmware, especially if Plato ends up being enough for me.
So where do you buy eBooks from any of the big publishers without giving any information? You can't. You buy, you give information.
Old 11-25-2020, 02:31 PM   #37
eeeink
Banned

Quote:
So where do you buy eBooks from any of the big publishers without giving any information? You can't. You buy, you give information.
I don't. That's the point
Old 11-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don't. That's the point
What is your point?
Old 11-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #39
eeeink
Banned

Quote:
What is your point?
I don’t give these companies my information. I don’t buy books from them, I don’t maintain accounts with them, I don’t give them my WiFi password, I don’t get updates from them.

Buying on the web is better than direct download to the device for sure, but DRM is anti-consumer so I don’t allow that either.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:57 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I don’t give these companies my information. I don’t buy books from them, I don’t maintain accounts with them, I don’t give them my WiFi password, I don’t get updates from them.

Buying on the web is better than direct download to the device for sure, but DRM is anti-consumer so I don’t allow that either.
Do you buy any eBooks from any of the big publishers? if not, what sort of eBooks do you buy and from where?
Old 11-25-2020, 08:02 PM   #41
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
All companies take and use our data. If you think otherwise you are duped lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:14 PM   #42
eeeink
Banned

Quote:
Do you buy any eBooks from any of the big publishers? if not, what sort of eBooks do you buy and from where?
No. I don't buy ebooks.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #43
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Then that just leaves the library to get books. Personally I don't care, get them from where ever you like and read them in your bunker.

I couldn't care less what Kobo or Amazon think about my reading habits, nor do I care about their reading recommendations, nor do I care if they think they know what my buying habits are. I ignore it all since it can't/doesn't hurt me.

Life is too short to be this paranoid about no consequense crap.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:02 PM   #44
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
No. I don't buy ebooks.
This brings up the question of where you are obtaining your ebooks from.

There are only so many public domain books out there and many people are more interested in newer material so stating you don't buy ebooks is a bit strange for someone who is asking about how to not register his Kobo Forma.

I have trouble visualizing someone who is happy downloading freebies only from Amazon/Kobo/etc. and even there for most of them, you need an account to do so. Public libraries are even stickier since they want to see your ID before issuing a library card.

This leaves one major source of "free" in copyright ebooks which, sadly, brings the word piracy to mind and does fit in with a touch of paranoia about privacy.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:12 PM   #45
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post

Life is too short to be this paranoid about no consequense crap.

Exactly. Moreover, most of the people not wanting to register their ereaders still use internet daily, have smartphones, bank cards and accounts etc. I'd consider those things to be far more invasive of one's privacy than ereaders. But hey, what do I know...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote