Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2020, 05:45 PM   #29431
pdurrant
The Santa Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookstooge View Post
There is a new Thraxas book? I'm on it. Hopefully it resolves things. I was pretty bummed by book 10
I've enjoyed book 11 so far. There's a foreword where the author says that there'll be more.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:06 AM   #29432
pdurrant
The Santa Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Thraxas of Turai by Martin Scott. The 11th and last (so far) in the series. A very recent purchase, at the astonishingly high price (for me) of £5.50!
And I enjoyed it. But what a cliff-hanger ending!

Next up: Refusal by Felix Francis.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #29433
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Which narration of Nickelby are you listening to? And how do you like it?
I am listening to the fantastic Mil Nicholson recording. Mil has recorded almost all of Dickens for Librivox. She is also a professional reader for Audible (of trashy romances, I believe). Every Dicken's audiobook I have has been read by her.

I am finding the book itself a lot lighter than some of his others. While the mistreatment of children and the plots of debt collectors are two of the main themes, most of the "bad stuff" happens to secondary characters. There is a great deal of humor and some nice commentaries on marriage as well.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:33 AM   #29434
pdurrant
The Santa Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Refusal by Felix Francis.
Which was a good, quick read. Sid Halley's back, and IMO Felix does a good job with him. 5/5

Next up: A random pick from my TBR: The Voice of the Violin by Andrea Camilleri. The fourth in the Inspector Montalbano series.
Old 12-01-2020, 08:57 AM   #29435
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Now that the third omnibus has been released, I spent three evenings last week reading all of Jonathan Hickman's excellent East of West comic series. It is one of my wife's favorite comics and it did not disappoint.
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 11:47 AM   #29436
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Now starting Linda Nagata's newest near-future-thriller novel Pacific Storm. I'm already a big fan of her near- and far-future brands of science fiction.
Not one of my favorites by her, but entertaining nonetheless. It just seemed a little thin to me. Not "thin" in a size or evidentiary way, but rather in terms of scope and/or depth of character.

Not sure what's up next. Might need something completely out of my wheelhouse for a change.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:02 AM   #29437
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O; RealMe X2 Pro
Finally getting back to Atevi space with Destroyer. I think I'll probably read another two 3-book arcs before taking a break again.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:37 AM   #29438
pdurrant
The Santa Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: A random pick from my TBR: The Voice of the Violin by Andrea Camilleri. The fourth in the Inspector Montalbano series.
Another good crime mystery with the usual characters. Interesting that life does move on for Montalbano, unlike so many fictional detectives.

Next up, another random pick from my TBR: Neptune Crossing by Jeffrey A. Carver (starrigger here at MobileRead). I picked this up ages ago from both Amazon and MobileRead's own library. It's about time I see if I like it!

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-03-2020 at 03:44 AM.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:26 PM   #29439
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Finally getting back to Atevi space with Destroyer. I think I'll probably read another two 3-book arcs before taking a break again.
4/5 for Destroyer, I do prefer the series when there's more action and less of Bren's navel-gazing. Taking a break to try an experiement - reading a book simply because of the author's surname. Into book one of The HeathCliff Lennox Mysteries by Karen Baugh Menuhin. It's starting to pick up now, and shows promise of at least competence, if not quite the virtuosity for which her father-in-law was famed.
Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM   #29440
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

3.75/5 for The Heathcliff Lennox box set. The advantage of a 3-book set to start the series is that it’s enough of a taster to see if the author and her protagonist have potential. For me, they do. Lennox grew enough in the three books to keep me interested, and the actual mysteries were quite well constructed, and I learned quite a bit about Scottish history in book three. Now for another boxset, The Complete Phule’s Company