Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2020, 08:30 PM   #541
Blakey
Blakey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura / AuraHD / Aura1 / GloHD / Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
PM sent.

In a case like that, the first thing to do is a full factory reset. That can solve issues like this. And hopefully the USB issues are not a sign of a hardware problem. Restoring the image will only cost you a bit of time, so it won't harm to do it. But, I would suggest using a new micro SD card. They are getting old and a lot of problems people are having with the older devices seem to be related to failing SD cards.
Image received, thanks!

Yeah, I was going to use a brand new card as well. I've done that for my GloHD to upgrade the storage previously.

Puzzling why it went on the fritz from sitting untouched, but hopefully either a factory reset or fresh image works. I'm wary of a factory reset though, as if USB & wifi have failed, then it will be a paperweight with no way to activate it or bypass activation by editing the sqlite DB.

If it is a hardware failure, I hope I can still import titles via the ext uSD slot at the least (it recognised a card ejection event with a 64GB card, but didn't find any titles on it when inserted, perhaps as it can't read SDXC)

If a factory reset fails, is a manual reset likely to do any better?
Old 10-01-2020, 10:57 PM   #542
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakey View Post
If a factory reset fails, is a manual reset likely to do any better?
What that does is what I mean when I say "factory reset". There are several ways to do it. Unfortunately, the method on the Device information screen changed a while ago. It used to do the full factory reset, now it just formats the book partition and restarts the device so you do the setup.

I've never liked the method of doing a factory reset that you linked to. For the Aura HD, and other devices with two buttons, I would use the following method:
  1. Charge the device for an hour or so.
  2. Power the device off. If the device isn't responding, hold the power switch int the off position for about 20 seconds to force it off.
  3. Hold the second button down while turning turning the device on.
  4. Release the second button when the screen changes.
  5. The device should do the factory reset and then prompt you to do the setup.

That should trigger the factory reset. I've messed up the timing or not held the buttons down properly and needed to do it again. For working devices, you can also enable developer mode and do the factory reset from the developer options.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:14 PM   #543
Blakey

Quote:
I've never liked the method of doing a factory reset that you linked to. For the Aura HD, and other devices with two buttons, I would use the following method
Gotcha, thanks. I'll go buy another uSD card, test the external slot and if it reads ok I'll do the reset before cracking it open to apply a new image.

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-02-2020, 11:34 PM   #544
Blakey

For closure:

uSD slot worked with an SDHC card and imported titles ok.
I tried to open the case by following an ifixit guide, after freeing the bezel clips freed the bezel was still attached to the display and lifting it flexed the display/PCB. Given a comment on the guide that the screws tore out of the back panel when they did it I left it there. Assume there's also adhesive holding the bezel to the screen.

Did the two button factory reset, after this it prompted a cable connection, but didn't show up when connected. However it then changed to wifi/usb activation and then appeared as a USB device.

Edited via sqlite3 and it's usable again, wifi is working again. All on fw 2.5.0. Rather than chance the same issues I'll leave the fw for now and update to an earlier 4.x later perhaps.

Thanks again for the image/reset tips David.
Old 10-08-2020, 10:29 AM   #545
mr.smee
mr.smee began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
image file for Kobo aura hd

Hi all. I'm looking for an image file for Kobo Aura HD. seems ive bricked my device and i hope a new image file may help.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:11 PM   #546
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@mr.smee: You need to enable Private Messaging. This is in the "Edit Options" of the control panel. If this isn't there, it has to be added somehow. You can try posting in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=319819 to ask it to be enabled, or contact a moderator.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:40 AM   #547
mr.smee

ok PM are enabled
Old 10-09-2020, 02:49 AM   #548
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #549
mr.smee

Quote:
PM sent.
Thank you sooo much. fixed my problem.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:00 AM   #550
Vaiccoco
Vaiccoco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hello to all
yesterday the Kobo AUra HD did the update and never turned on again.
I removed the cover and the SD is illegible. Does anyone kindly have an image for my Kobo Aura HD?
thanks a lot
Old 11-14-2020, 06:09 PM   #551
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

But, if you took the card out and tried to look at it with a Windows computer, you won't be able to. Windows does not work well with removable media that has multiple partitions. And two of the partitions have file systems that Windows does not support. I suggest putting the card back in and try a manual factory reset before using the image.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:51 AM   #552
Vaiccoco

Hello infinite guarantees for the image. What you say I have already tried to do it of course, the problem is that after the automatic update done the other night, the Kobo does not start anymore. The led lights up and flashes quickly and does nothing else. I tried holding the reset button but nothing happens. If you have another way to do the factoty reset let me know.
Old 11-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #553
Vaiccoco

hi davidfor thanks to your image i was able to restore my e-reader !! You are the best thanks again
Old 01-02-2021, 02:37 AM   #554
Ruth1988
Ruth1988 began at the beginning.

Hey Davidfor, you’ve helped me in the past and now my Aura HD seems broken again. Factory reset won’t work so I’m buying a new SD card and hoping to get the image from you again. Would you mind sending it? I’ll look for instructions in this topic, not a big tech hero, last time a friend helped me but that won’t be possible this time.

Thanks so much. Hope this will save me buying a new one.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:22 AM   #555
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

PM sent.

For instructions, see Memory Upgrade Mod Guide. They are for the Glo, but the basic steps and tools are the same.
Closed Thread