Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-22-2020, 07:42 AM   #16
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Would Spice, in Dune, be a Macguffin? The characters certainly care about the spice, it moves the plat along, but really, the story isn't about Spice but power and control of people (among many other themes).
Probably.

Interesting. I probably never should have used the term McGuffin since most seem to focus on the Hitchcock definition of the term, rather than what I was actually talking about. That's ok. Threads do tend to go where they want to and it's been interesting.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I think Dune, Fremen and Spice inspired by Arabia/Gulf, Tuaregs, and Big Oil and Gas.

There might even be a crypto-zoology giant sand worm in Mongolia?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:48 AM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
It seems to me that most secondary characters are there to move the story about the protagonists along. I think it might be more interesting to ask if there are any books that don't have such MacGuffin characters in them.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:59 PM   #19
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It seems to me that most secondary characters are there to move the story about the protagonists along. I think it might be more interesting to ask if there are any books that don't have such MacGuffin characters in them.
Sure. This one struck me as odd since he was one of the few major point of view characters and perhaps a quarter of the book was from his point of view, but yea, I suspect you could identify such a character, though perhaps having a much smaller role, in most works.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote