Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #61
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I just got "Corelli's Mandolin" as an audio book from my local library, and am looking forward to listening to it on my commute tomorrow. I was wondering about the title; I always seen it prefaced by "Captain".

My wife also enjoyed "Notwithstanding".

Have you read "Birds Without Wings"?
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:46 PM   #62
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Currently listening to 'Across the Nightingale Floor' by Liam Hearn, narrated by Kevin Gray and Akiko Nakasone. About 1/3 of the way through and am really enjoying the story.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 11:43 PM   #63
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
I'm listening to a suberb audiobook at the moment, "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt. It has the wry wit of a Coen Brothers western, and keeps impressing me with how well done it is up close.
The narrator, William Hope is brilliant. The two brothers have very different characters and their story is told by just one of them. Hope's voice is fine-tuned to that brother but instantly modulates to the other when reporting his speech, or any other character as well. It's effortless, it's the same voice, and yet it is an entire cast of characters - quite wonderfully done.
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #64
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post

Yes, a wonderful and devastating book. Of particular interest because in Australia we hear about the disaster of Gallipoli, but of course only from "our" point of view.

On a lighter note, I listen once a year or so to "Winnie the Pooh" and "The House at Pooh Corner" done by a fabulous cast headed by Stephen Fry as Pooh and Judi Dench as one of the narrators, and Kanga. Perfection!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:29 PM   #65
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I have an odd one started. "My Funniest, Part2" is a collection of scifi writers' funniest short stories. I don't know how to get Part 1 from the blind library yet.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 AM   #66
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
I just got "Corelli's Mandolin" as an audio book from my local library, and am looking forward to listening to it on my commute tomorrow. I was wondering about the title; I always seen it prefaced by "Captain".

My wife also enjoyed "Notwithstanding".

Not yet, but I do like his writing, so probably will eventually.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:42 AM   #67
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
i was listening
agatha christie - curtain
william irish - 10 to 1
etc...
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 06:40 AM   #68
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I just gave up on an audiobook due to awful narration for the first time. After finishing up the whole Mistborn trilogy as my bedtime story, I tried returning to the Shannara books where I'd left off, with Ilse Witch, but the narrator, Sam Fontana, was insufferable.

Now I'm back on Sanderson with Elantris, which I'm enjoying a great deal so far.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #69
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
I started (and finished) Shannon Tweed's Kiss and Tell today. Pretty interesting and a light listen.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #70
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm nearly finished with The Chateau by William Maxwell, which I liked a great deal more than I'd expected, with much credit to the narration.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #71
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I'm listening to Stories I only Tell My Friends (Autobiography) by Robb Lowe that I picked up free, when it was posted in our Deals forum.

Robb Lowe narrates it and I am enjoying all the little stories he tells about parts of parts of his life as he grows up in in the industry.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM   #72
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I've been listening to Ian McKellen's brilliant unabridged reading of Fagle's translation of Homer's The Odyssey.

There's also an abridged version of Fagle's The Iliad. Derek Jacobi is excellent but not as good as McKellen.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM   #73
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I recently started and stopped Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan--it was a little too 'action movie' for my tastes. Instead I started The Wind-up Bird Chronicle, which I've apparently started before, but I don't think I finished it.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:59 PM   #74
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
I am currently listening to The Civil War: A Narrative, Volume 1 by Shelby Foote. I will listen to all three volumes during the year.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #75
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
I just scored A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny from the library. Relatively short at only 9 hours or so, and from just the first few minutes, I think I'll enjoy the narrator.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations