Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
ThomasMc
Disgusted with LDBoblo
ThomasMc doesn't litterThomasMc doesn't litter

Device: nook
Which have transflective screens?

Which devices have transflective screens?
I want to be able to read both outside, and inside at night.
ThomasMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The majority of dedicated reading devices use EInk screens which are like ink on paper, they are illuminated by outside light. So they work very well outside. At night, they need an external source of light and typically this needs to be a brighter source than for a paperback book (although with EInk you can increase the size of the text in low light).

The jetBook has a LCD screen, but it is also reflective (no back light) and so it works like EInk except that the refresh rate is much faster.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 02:01 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Right now, there are sadly not a lot of LCD devices that have a transflective screen. Though, I did read the Jointech JE100 has one. Not proven yet, though... (as it was only released last week). Most devices don't mention if they have one or not.

The only devices that do have transflective screens (that I'm sure of) are PDA's. But they generally have a much smaller screen.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
In my own experience (2 PDAs with transflective screens) there is no comparison between using E-ink outside and using a transflective screen. Both my iPaq and my Palm are hard to read outside. It's possible, especially with the Palm with the backlight off, but I find it hard to focus and generally not worth the effort.

My Sony is much more readable outside, though I admit the lack of a backlight can be an issue at night.

This is where the iPhone/Kindle combo really comes into its own (at least with Amazon-purchased books) you can use E-Ink when you have light, and transflective when you don't and your books stay synchronized.

Right now I don't think there's any device that really does what you're looking for.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:02 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
In my own experience (2 PDAs with transflective screens) there is no comparison between using E-ink outside and using a transflective screen. Both my iPaq and my Palm are hard to read outside. It's possible, especially with the Palm with the backlight off, but I find it hard to focus and generally not worth the effort.
Hmm, I can read very easily outside. I don't even notice a difference with the backlight turned on or off (except in battery life, naturally).
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert