Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 05-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Calibre metadata - authors with 0 books

I have deleted and recreated my metadata.calibre file several times recently, but still have dozens of authors showing in KOReader with"0" listed next to their names for the count of books. How do I delete these null authors so that they don't show up and add to the number of pages I have to click through?
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 05:46 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Hard to say without more details about the workflow and what you did, exactly.

(Wild guess: do the metadata.calibre cleanup from within a Nickel USBMS session, if you're still using the Kobo calibre driver).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2022, 09:40 PM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's what I've tried, from stock and while running KOReader: Connect the device, delete the calibre.metadata file, open Calibre, run "update cached metadata on device", eject device. The impact on the 82 zero-book authors, zero.

EDIT: I just exited KOReader and confirmed that none of those 82 authors show up in the stock reader's list of authors on the device

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 05-18-2022 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:25 AM   #4
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Knowing that there are several "pages" of zero-book authors persisting in KOReader made me wonder: If multiple deletion/recreation of the calibre.metadata flie makes no difference to KOReader, would uninstalling KOReader itself and reinstalling it from scratch get rid of them? I have my default settings and gesture preferences saved elsewhere as backup.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:45 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
while running KOReader
That is explicitly what I wanted you *NOT* to do ^^.

Try doing the same from within Nickel (run a Library scan via NM beforehand, though) .
Advert
Old 05-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Knowing that there are several "pages" of zero-book authors persisting in KOReader made me wonder: If multiple deletion/recreation of the calibre.metadata flie makes no difference to KOReader, would uninstalling KOReader itself and reinstalling it from scratch get rid of them? I have my default settings and gesture preferences saved elsewhere as backup.
There's almost no persistent state for this, we might be building a cached Lua conversion of the JSON data (cache/calibre/books.dat), but that's it.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #7
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That is explicitly what I wanted you *NOT* to do ^^.

Try doing the same from within Nickel (run a Library scan via NM beforehand, though) .
You'll notice that I said I had tried BOTH methods more than once

Quote:
from stock and while running KOReader

I'm not sure how to "run a Library scan via NM" though - my NickelMenu has only KOReader in it.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #8
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Go to the plugin settings and disable the cache. Redo de search. The search will be performed on your pristine json file.

If that solves your issue it means calibre won't update the json mtime on rebuild (or fat32 oddities).

Cache speeds searchs quite a bit with many thousands of books but shouldn't be noticeable on the hundreds.
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:23 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
Go to the plugin settings and disable the cache. Redo de search. The search will be performed on your pristine json file.

If that solves your issue it means calibre won't update the json mtime on rebuild (or fat32 oddities).

Cache speeds searchs quite a bit with many thousands of books but shouldn't be noticeable on the hundreds.

This is what I just tried:

1. Settings>Calibre UNCHECK "store metadata in cache"

2. Exit KOReader

3. Connect to my PC via USB, delete calibre.metadata.

4. Open Calibre, after it finished updating, select "update chached metadata on device."

5. Eject device. Open KOReader

6. Manage libraries>"rescan disk for calibre libraries" - found 1 calibre library with 852 books (the correct number of books actually on the device)

7. Check list of authors - all "zero book" authors still there.

One thing I'm curious about - you mention a "pristine json file". When I do a search of the device for *.json, there are 4 results listed, as shown in the screenshot. None appear to have anything to do with Calibre?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	json.png
Views:	354
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	193900  

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 05-20-2022 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:38 PM   #10
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

/mnt/onboard/calibre.metadata (or metadata.calibre, I don't remember) is the json file where calibre dumps the list of books on your device and their metadata. (the one detected by KO)

Please check it is there and give us its size.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:49 PM   #11
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
/mnt/onboard/calibre.metadata (or metadata.calibre, I don't remember) is the json file where calibre dumps the list of books on your device and their metadata. (the one detected by KO)

Please check it is there and give us its size.
It is there. It is the file I have been repeatedly deleting and recreating, as detailed above. The current version is 30 minutes old and 5.88MB (6029kb)
Old 05-20-2022, 03:00 PM   #12
pazos
cosiñeiro

I'm out of ideas and I doubt it is related to the plugin we're discussing. Could you please paste a screenshot of the UI where you see all those authors with zero books?

IIRC books are counted by tags or series, but not by authors.

You can search books by name, authors or paths but that gives you still a list of books.

FWIW: the code that parses calibre json files is in https://github.com/koreader/koreader...n/metadata.lua but I think it has nothing to do with your issue.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:07 PM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
I'm out of ideas and I doubt it is related to the plugin we're discussing. Could you please paste a screenshot of the UI where you see all those authors with zero books?
I've attached 2 screenshots, I hope they help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eg1.png
Views:	391
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	193901   Click image for larger version

Name:	eg2.png
Views:	58
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	193902  
Old 05-20-2022, 03:38 PM   #14
pazos
cosiñeiro

Quote:
I've attached 2 screenshots, I hope they help.

Those are empty folders in the file manager. They have nothing to do with calibre metadata.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:57 PM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Those are empty folders in the file manager. They have nothing to do with calibre metadata.
Thanks, so the screenshots DID help. I can now go ahead and delete those folders with impunity. Much obliged