Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2014, 02:03 PM   #1
padnoter
padnoter began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wireless
Kobo wifi/wireless - Bricked after forced firmware upgrade

Hi,
I have the older Kobo Wifi/wireless model & been using happily for a year or two.
Recently I connected to the wifi to download a purchased ebook. I was forced to perform a firmware download/upgrade to do this.
It downloaded ok.
But never finished the install/upgraded.
Eventually I turned it off/on & it's been a mess ever since.

When I switch it on I just get the blank screen with "Kobo Read On" logo & the row of 7 blocks below that continually cycle through - but nothing else.

I've tried a soft/basic reset using a paperclip in the back. still the same.
Also tried a factory/hard reset - using paperclip+Menu+Middle-Dpad.. this says it is initialising the usb partition & then says to connect the ereader to the usb... which i've done in windows running the latest kobo client. It then says "copying files" but it's not doing anything.. Windows doesn't recognise the kobo as a usb device anymore (& nor does ubuntu/linux - which I normally use) - and nor does the kobo windows client s/w. When I finally unplug the kobo from the usb, it says "updating software", then "update successful", then reboots - but it hasn't done anything & I am back to the "kobo read on" & row of moving blocks!

I've also tried the CTRL+SHIFT+U in the kobo client/library - nothing

I've raised a log with Kobo customer care, but so far they've only suggested the soft/basic reset (even though I told them all this infomation - I guess you have to start at the start!! )

Does anybody have any suggestions please?
padnoter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Look into the Developer's Corner. This might be fixable with the https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=230158 approach.

But writing an image of a working internal uSD card to a replacement uSD card may be your best chance. You can get a larger internal memory that way as well.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=209122

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 01-02-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
padnoter

thanks ken.
The biggest problem I have is the usb connection doesn't work & the kobo won't turn on correctly, so the wifi doesn't work either... so I can't try the methods that need to connect.. I'm reluctant to open the case yet to get at the internal SD-card - I guess that is the very last option..

was hoping for somthing non-invasive to start?
Old 01-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #4
Shaxx
Shaxx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wireless
Bricked Kobo Wireless

padnoter - I've got exactly the same problem - and I've tried similar things to you with no success. I agree that my windows laptop will not make any connection with the kobo so no chance to attempt another firmware update via the pc.

Let me know if you find a solution!
Shaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #5
padnoter

The only solution I've found is Kobo Customer Care (help@kobobooks.com), who after a few emails have now asked me to send it back for replacement (posting from uk to Holland - which is a bit of a pain, but better than a brick)
Advert
Old 01-18-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Shaxx
Shaxx began at the beginning.

Unhappy Still bricked

Thanks for the tip padnoter. Have emailed them and got one response, and awaiting a further one after confirming that none of the fixes above worked. Did they offer to repair it out of guarantee? Will they charge you? Have you heard back from them yet?
Shaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
padnoter

i assume so... i told them all the details.. reply was "As per the terms and conditions of the Standard Limited Warranty you are required to ship and insure your Kobo eReader to.... ...upon receipt and inspection of the device we will send you a replacement. Please allow 3 weeks from the date you ship your unit to receive your replacement"

let you know in 3 weeks :-)
Old 02-03-2014, 05:06 AM   #8
padnoter

had my replacement - a refurb'd kobo touch... so an upgrade for me (i sent back a kobo wifi/button)
Old 02-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by padnoter View Post
had my replacement - a refurb'd kobo touch... so an upgrade for me (i sent back a kobo wifi/button)
That's a fair upgrade, padnoter. Good news. Enjoy.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:35 PM   #10
Buckwheat
Buckwheat began at the beginning.

Similar thing has now happened to me. There was a forced firmware update last week (1st week of April 2014). Update seem to go OK but reader was behaving oddly - would not power down properly. I did a soft reset only to find all of my books were gone - as if I had don'e a hard reset (which I didn't). In any case, the reader seem to work OK but is does not connect to either Kobo Desktop or Calibre (although windows sees the Kobo 'drive' just like it always did). Tried a hard reset - same result. So, the unit is effectively bricked at this point.
Buckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 AM   #11
read791
read791 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi (N647)
Hey Buckwheat,

there is another thread about this issue here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=230628&page=5

Contact Kobo support, they are aware of this issue and they will very likely
help you out. Good luck!
read791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #12
Buckwheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by read791 View Post
Hey Buckwheat,

there is another thread about this issue here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=230628&page=5

Contact Kobo support, they are aware of this issue and they will very likely
help you out. Good luck!
Thanks for your post read.

How do I contact Kobo Support? I can't find an email address anywhere.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #13
Buckwheat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
Thanks for your post read.

How do I contact Kobo Support? I can't find an email address anywhere.
Never mind, I found the support page contact dialogue. Thanks again.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
luna70
luna70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi( N647)
Hi

i just had the same problem with my KOBO. and i ca't seem to find the conact? Do you have an email address?

Much Appreciated!
Luna70
luna70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:12 PM   #15
padnoter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luna70 View Post
Hi

i just had the same problem with my KOBO. and i ca't seem to find the conact? Do you have an email address?

Much Appreciated!
Luna70
emails were from; help@kobobooks.com

Tags
bricked, firmware update, kobo wifi, kobo wireless