Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #16
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Added a third manuscript to the PDF. Again of an easier sort. (The more difficult ones of each class will build on things the reader learned by solving the simpler ones.)

- Ahi
Attached Files
File Type: pdf excerpts.pdf (82.4 KB, 350 views)

Last edited by ahi; 07-26-2009 at 03:09 PM.
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:14 AM   #17
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 07:02 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #18
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
ahi - I believe we may have very different ideas about what's fun.

If they're simple substitution codes then I know enough that I should be looking at the numeric distribution of each character to determine, most to least popular. OTOH it's a PDF so I'd have to do this by hand. That's where you lost me. Have you any idea how many television channels I have access to?
We might. Although the third puzzle isn't a simple substitution code.

If you check back in a few days, I am planning to add another 2-3 puzzles that will not be substitution ciphers--although, as noted before, won't branch into mathematically intensive stuff.

What sort of/type of ciphers would you enjoy solving in particular though, dadioflex?

Regarding the problems of PDF--what alternative are you suggesting precisely? Two out of the first three puzzles could not easily (if it all) be encoded as LRF or ePub.

- Ahi

Ps.: I think--while writing this response--I have thought of a puzzle that might intrigue you more, dadioflex. I'll try to add it this evening.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #20
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadioflex View Post
"Regarding the problems of PDF--what alternative are you suggesting precisely? Two out of the first three puzzles could not easily (if it all) be encoded as LRF or ePub."

I wasn't suggesting an alternative, I was just pointing out a potential flaw. I said right from the outset that I didn't see this being a good fit for an ebook, because of the lack of interactivity available with ebook readers. The first thing I'd want to do with each "puzzle" is print it off.

I don't want to be too negative, but personally working with those blocks of characters wouldn't be my idea of fun. Simple as that. As I said, I think we have very different ideas about what is entertainment. There's nothing wrong with that though.
Well, there are certainly no hard feelings on my end.

You might be right about the lack of eBook interactivity being a negative... but I would guess that the same would be true for a paper book. Your wanting to print the PDF would probably turn into wanting to photocopy the page. I guess I'll find out whether this sort of thing is anybody's idea of fun. It is mine... but, alas, I can hardly write compelling "puzzles" for myself.

And on that note... puzzle is a terribly word for these. Not too sure what else to call them though... particularly as the challenge is supposed to be a dual one, partly of deciphering, partly of interpreting.

- Ahi

Ps.: And, in case it isn't obvious, the PDF is printable, if that helps anyone.

Last edited by ahi; 07-27-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 05:46 AM   #21
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count

Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #22
ahi
Wizard

Haven't had time to add any more pages yet, but hopefully next week.

Any comments, successes, failures, questions so far?

- Ahi
Old 08-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #23
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Haven't had time to add any more pages yet, but hopefully next week.

Any comments, successes, failures, questions so far?

- Ahi
Haven't had a chance to look at them In my defence, flu does not promote clear thinking!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote