Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-04-2017, 02:06 PM   #16
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Notepad++ is a (great) WINDOWS (only) program
Maybe he wants to run WINE on it, too. :-)

To the OP, if you are indeed a novice as you say, then please heed:

1. If you are wanting a device for practical use, to get some homework done and do a little typing or what have you, RUN RUN RUN from this folly! You might as well start to learn to build a birdhouse by pounding nails into boards with your head.

HOWEVER:

2. If you are wanting to experiment, teach yourself something new, look under the hood, see how these things work, give yourself a challenge and a new hobby, and sincerely don't care whether the device is actually usable for anything or if it 's completely destroyed, then have at it! Every engineer started somewhere, often by breaking something!

ApK
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:54 PM   #17
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I have used Kindle Paperwhite - the very first model as a Linux computer briefly.
When I got it, I was deeply dissatisfied with just about every aspect of the user interface, so I have installed every possible hack or tool to the device. One of those was Terminal. So I was able to use a text terminal and access the Linux the Kindle runs on.
Kindles run on Linux, not Android.
I was able to use many userland programs from Busybox that is installed by default in Kindle. It was a Dancing Bear (TM).
After my initial enthusiasm cooled down after a few days I only opened it when I wanted to brag that I have a genuine, working terminal on my e-ink reader. The only occasion when I used the feature was when I used the date command to set the date and time - I refused to let the device to connect to the Internet, so it couldn't use the Amazon server to synchronize the time, (and update to a newer version of firmware behind my back).

Besides Paperwhite I was a proud owner of several generations of PocketBook readers. PocketBooks run on Linux as well. At one moment in time, in a distant past, the PocketBook company released an SDK and even sponsored a competition for programmers in Russia. The results were spectacular. Several notable user interface enhancements, an FTP server (important if you want to tinker with the system files that are inaccessible when you connect the reader to PC over USB), a terminal program, an improved version of the flagship reading app FBReader and even linux terminal. Again, you could use the built-in Linux userland programs, mostly provided through Busybox. I even managed to install my beloved VIM text editor. Just like a Kindle PaperWhite, it was a Dancing Bear (TM). I have never used the terminal, ftp server or VIM text editor for anything work related. The only reasonable use was copying of some config files, so we could place a modified version to an user accessible place. PocketBook had a number of notable features. You could place your version of system config files and even ELF binaries to an user accessible partition and those files took precedence when you started the reader.

I also had rooted Nook Simple Touch. The only advantage was that I could use a better version of CoolReader or FBReader for reading. Unusable for any work. And, believe me, I have tried hard to find an use-case for my new toy. I already had a reader that had better parameters, so NST was only for playing and non-reading use. I sold it after several months.

Nowadays I have an Android powered front-lit e-ink reader. The only thing I *ever* use it for is reading. Again, I have tried hard to find some reasonable use for this "e-ink Android Tablet", but even for simple browsing it is simply too frustrating.

I ALSO have Yotaphone. With AMOLED screen on one side and an e-ink on the other. I have never used e-ink screen for anything but reading books and demonstration for my [envious] nerdy friends. Again, I have tried. Yet, when I want to do anything besides reading I find myself flipping the device to the AMOLED screen. And Yotaphone is not a clunky, under-powered device with limited memory and space for apps, like most e-ink readers, but a fast, modern, Android 5.0, smooth-as-butter high-end phone.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #18
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
I concur with ApK.

Furthermore, I would recommend buying a Raspberry Pi/Arduino board.
You can build it exactly to your specifications, is much cheaper, no risk of bricking it, AND you get the benefit of a massively large community that have already gone the road you’ll decide to take.

Last edited by Dutchbook; 10-04-2017 at 06:57 PM.
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #19
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
See https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...pocket-compute for an interesting project
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:51 PM   #20
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
Thank you everyone for your responses. I did not understand the scale of the project required, but I would like to go ahead anyway. Could someone point me to somewhere a complete newbie can begin? Should I buy a Raspberry Pi/Arduino board? If so, why? It sounds like yet another undergunned computer. Why is it better than anything I already have or can get for free.
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #21
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchax View Post
Thank you everyone for your responses. I did not understand the scale of the project required, but I would like to go ahead anyway. Could someone point me to somewhere a complete newbie can begin? Should I buy a Raspberry Pi/Arduino board? If so, why? It sounds like yet another undergunned computer. Why is it better than anything I already have or can get for free.
sheesh. your current nook will do most of what you want. google nook st root.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:48 AM   #22
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
sheesh. your current nook will do most of what you want. google nook st root.
I don't want another android. I want linux. At this point I want to learn about and use linux more than I want a sort of android.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I don't want another android. I want linux. At this point I want to learn about and use linux more than I want a sort of android.
Why not just run Linux on a cheap PC, in that case? It would avoid all the problems, and be a much better platform for learning about Linux.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #24
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why not just run Linux on a cheap PC, in that case? It would avoid all the problems, and be a much better platform for learning about Linux.
Even easier would be Damn Small Linux or knoppix

http://damnsmalllinux.org/

http://knoppix.net/

Both can boot from a USB stick or CD. DSL can boot from inside an OS.

Either can fit entirely in RAM, DSL only needs 128MB. That can make an old, slow computer feel relly fast.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #25
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Or run Linux on a Chromebook. Or get an old used laptop and install Linux. So many ways...
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:04 PM   #26
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Or run Linux on a Chromebook. Or get an old used laptop and install Linux. So many ways...
Yeah, but I would choose the one that most catches my fancy. If for the OP that's hacking an eink device then more power to 'em.
ApK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 11:49 AM   #27
Panchax
Connoisseur

Can someone please post a link to a book or website where I can start learning about linux?
More than one would be good, too.
There are a lot of options, and I never knew how little I know about computers. I need something to get me started.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #28
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
There are so many websites / books on Linux. Just search and look for yourself. Go to a bookstore or library and browse; see what feels good to you.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kobo Readers run Linux.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #30
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Can someone please post a link to a book or website where I can start learning about linux?
More than one would be good, too.
There are a lot of options, and I never knew how little I know about computers. I need something to get me started.
I'd recommend installing Ubuntu Linux alongside Windows (I'm assuming you're using a Windows PC) and testing it out. There used to be a handy little app called Wubi that would install Ubuntu like any other program on your PC. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued.

Here's a link on How To Dual-boot Ubuntu And Windows 10 (or 7/8/8.1)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eink, eink display, jailbreak, linux, word processors