Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-15-2018, 02:06 PM   #481
crane3
Addict
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab Pro 8.4, Aura ONE
I installed the nook app for android on the Tab Pro to see what "video" the Mars was unable to play. The "video" is just an ad for BN running when the 'sign in, logon' prompt appears. The nook app would probably work if the stupid video wasn't there as there is no reason for it to show up when logging onto BN or create a BN account.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #482
downeaster59
Guru
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, Likebook Mars, Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by fduniho View Post
CPU Identifier Pro is currently free. Could you install it on your Nova and report back what is lists under "Other CPU Features"? In comparing the Likebook Mars to the Kindle Fire, the latter includes several features that the former doesn't. One of these is TLS, and I know the Nooks recently updated their version of TLS.
I'll be glad to do it, but I might not get to it until tomorrow or Monday.

In the meantime - in case you haven't seen it - you can check here for a comparison of the two devices using AnTuTu. The Mars' results are at the bottom of the page; the Nova's at the top of page 2.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #483
enekomh
enekomh began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Their latest update messed up the contrast of all the fonts used by the system. They all look like a "bold" version of the original font. Does anyone yace a zip file with either fw 1.0.3 or 1.0.4? I'd like to rollback.
enekomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:39 AM   #484
i8890321
i8890321 began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by enekomh View Post
Their latest update messed up the contrast of all the fonts used by the system. They all look like a "bold" version of the original font. Does anyone yace a zip file with either fw 1.0.3 or 1.0.4? I'd like to rollback.
I think u r talking about the 1.0..5 on Dec
I suggest you try long press the app icon ,check the setting on that pop up menu.
I don't know why all of my app have been set to A2 mode with text image to 0 after the update

Also I experienced that the normal mode (non A2) will do an annoying full refresh of the screen after each time I scroll.

I want to report to the official site but can't register on their forum .

Any one updated can share the view here . If u seen this msg I recommend u stay in 1.0.4
i8890321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:20 AM   #485
enekomh
enekomh began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i8890321 View Post
I think u r talking about the 1.0..5 on Dec
I suggest you try long press the app icon ,check the setting on that pop up menu.
I don't know why all of my app have been set to A2 mode with text image to 0 after the update

Also I experienced that the normal mode (non A2) will do an annoying full refresh of the screen after each time I scroll.

I want to report to the official site but can't register on their forum .

Any one updated can share the view here . If u seen this msg I recommend u stay in 1.0.4
Hey! Thanks for the reply. I did as you said and it had contrat enhancement checkbox on so I unchecked it and voila, it was back to what it used to. Thanks for the tip!
enekomh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #486
downeaster59
Guru
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
CPU Identifier Pro is currently free. Could you install it on your Nova and report back what is lists under "Other CPU Features"? In comparing the Likebook Mars to the Kindle Fire, the latter includes several features that the former doesn't. One of these is TLS, and I know the Nooks recently updated their version of TLS.
Under "Other CPU Features", the Nova has:

SWP HALF THUMB FASTMULT VFP EDSP NEON VFPV3 TLS VFPV4 IDIVA IDIVT VFPD32 EVTSTRM

Hope this helps!
Old 12-16-2018, 01:01 PM   #487
fduniho
Connoisseur
fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle Touch, Fire & DX; Rooted Nook ST; Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
Under "Other CPU Features", the Nova has:

SWP HALF THUMB FASTMULT VFP EDSP NEON VFPV3 TLS VFPV4 IDIVA IDIVT VFPD32 EVTSTRM
That's identical to my ZTE Android 6 phone, which the Nook app also works on. On the Likebook Mars, the "Other CPU Features" are very different. They are:

fp asimd evtstrm aes pmull sha1 sha2 crc32

My Kindle Fire has features from both the Onyx Nova and Likebook Mars. They are:

HALF THUMB FASTMULT VFP EDSP NEON VFPV3 TLS VFPV4 IDIVA IDIVT LPAE EVTSTRM AES PMULL SHA1 SHA2 CRC32

While these results fit with the hypothesis that CPU support of TLS is required for the Nook app, it doesn't imply that it is. So, I'll still try to see if BN can fix this. I have emailed them about the problem, and hopefully someone will get back to me after the weekend. In the meantime, it could help if other people who are interested in getting the Nook app to work on the Likebook Mars would also write to them.

Last edited by fduniho; 12-16-2018 at 01:02 PM. Reason: typo
fduniho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #488
fduniho
Connoisseur
fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.fduniho knows the square root of minus one.

With the new update, the native ereading app handles external dictionaries differently. Instead of giving you a separate external dictionary option, it lets you order your dictionaries, and it provides the definition from the first dictionary it finds a definition in. I initially noticed that it was sometimes using the English explanatory dictionary instead of the Webster's 1913 Dictionary. As a further test, I loaded a German book into it and clicked on some German words. Where the German word didn't match an English word, it provided the definition from the German-English dictionary I had installed, and I have this dictionary at the bottom of my list of dictionaries. This behavior can be very helpful for reading books with words in foreign languages, though I do prefer the old behavior of listing all external dictionary definitions together. To order your dictionaries, tap the A-Z dictionary icon in the top right corner of the definition box.

While things are looking up for the dictionary, the native ereading app will still put spaces before punctuation marks, and it will still run some words together. Interestingly, I noticed that when I pressed on a word that had been run together with another word, it treated them as a single word and tried to look it up.

Last edited by fduniho; 12-16-2018 at 01:45 PM. Reason: correction
Old 12-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #489
Lparsons21
Enthusiast
Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad mini 4
Dang it!
In reading some other threads I thought I might have found a way to make the Nook app work. Instead of using the one in the Google Play stor, get an older version. So I found some older versions and got,one that came up fine, allowed me to log in and download one of my books. BUT the blasted app crashed if I tried opening the book. 🤬

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Lparsons21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:17 PM   #490
fduniho
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
Dang it!
In reading some other threads I thought I might have found a way to make the Nook app work. Instead of using the one in the Google Play stor, get an older version. So I found some older versions and got,one that came up fine, allowed me to log in and download one of my books. BUT the blasted app crashed if I tried opening the book. 🤬
I already tried older versions. I can't open my books in them. The Nook firmware had a security update earlier this year to use TLS 1.2, and I suspect that the older versions that otherwise work predate this security update.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:29 PM   #491
Caluthius
Caluthius began at the beginning.

Got Old Nook Version to Work!

Quote:
I already tried older versions. I can't open my books in them. The Nook firmware had a security update earlier this year to use TLS 1.2, and I suspect that the older versions that otherwise work predate this security update.
Downloaded Nook Ver. 3.5.3.5 from APKpure and it is working on my Likebook Mars, and I don't even have the real Google Play Store on it. Also, got my Gmail account to work using the Email app by Edison also from APKpure. Nothing else worked for getting Gmail because Google Play Services was required for everything else I tried.
Caluthius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:35 PM   #492
crane3
Addict
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab Pro 8.4, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lparsons21 View Post
Dang it!
Which version of the Nook app? I remember that B&N killed off ability to download any book some years back; reason why I no longer buy books from B&N or even login. I also no longer buy books from Google as a book I bought was not downloadable; for $30, I want the book to be on my tablet/computer & not required to login to read my book.

The nook for android has "move to SD card" & "move from SD card". Does this mean downloading a copy or actual move resulting in no longer being on the B&N cloud?? And does it also mean in a hidden folder under a different name?
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:55 PM   #493
Lparsons21
Enthusiast
Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.Lparsons21 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad mini 4
New "Mars" device from Likebook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caluthius View Post
Downloaded Nook Ver. 3.5.3.5 from APKpure and it is working on my Likebook Mars, and I don't even have the real Google Play Store on it. Also, got my Gmail account to work using the Email app by Edison also from APKpure. Nothing else worked for getting Gmail because Google Play Services was required for everything else I tried.

Fan freaking tastic! Just got it and it works just good enough. Wish I could turn off page turn animations but I can live with this.

Thanks!

Edit: found animation setting.
Library view is a bit small and hard to read, but reading a book is fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Lparsons21; 12-16-2018 at 06:05 PM.
Lparsons21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:17 PM   #494
jscris
Addict
jscris is the One.jscris is the One.jscris is the One.jscris is the One.jscris is the One.jscris is the One.jscris is the One.jscris is the One.jscris is the One.jscris is the One.jscris is the One.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, Boyue T80s, Mars
Is anyone using a BT remote volume control ad page turner with Moon+ on the Mars? It worked well on my Likebook Plus but now only works occasionally. I am running a keep alive utility. I think it may be the hardware, but wondering about experiences with the Mars.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #495
downeaster59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
Which version of the Nook app? I remember that B&N killed off ability to download any book some years back; reason why I no longer buy books from B&N or even login. I also no longer buy books from Google as a book I bought was not downloadable; for $30, I want the book to be on my tablet/computer & not required to login to read my book.

The nook for android has "move to SD card" & "move from SD card". Does this mean downloading a copy or actual move resulting in no longer being on the B&N cloud?? And does it also mean in a hidden folder under a different name?
If you look for the old "Nook for PC" app online and install it (assuming you have a Windows PC), you can still download Nook books....