Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
msxman
Enthusiast
msxman began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox, kindle 2
Question Question about Vox battery

Can you use the Vox while plugged in to use wi-fi stuff like Pulse or Facebook, or to watch movies or even read and not have the battery die, or will that harm the battery?

Can the battery be ruined by overcharging?

Hoping someone knows!
msxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
It shouldn't be a problem assuming the power management stuff has been done properly. That being said I did have an archos 605 wifi where archos botched the power management which caused the batteries to overcharge and burn out early so who knows?
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:39 AM   #3
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
I've regularly used my Vox while on the charger to browse, watch movies, read, etc. It charges to the max as per usual and I've even continued on the charger after that. I don't know if I've caused any battery damage but I've been thinking that my battery life isn't what it should be. But a lot of people have said that so ??

Also, I have left the Vox to charge overnight. Presumably it reached full charge hours before I took it off the next day. So I don't think overcharging is a big risk.
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Actually, the Vox only takes about 2 hours or so to go from nearly zero to full charge, so leaving it charging overnight is more than enough.

I would hope it doesn't "overcharge". But I honestly don't know. I find the battery probably lasts as long as my laptop's battery if the Vox is in use, and that includes if I have it in sleep mode but with wifi on...and I have to leave the wifi on in sleep mode or it won't come out of sleep mode without a reset. So if I'm at home and I want to have quick access to the Vox, I'm leaving it in sleep mode but plugged into the charger because the wifi drains the battery all the time, even if the Vox is sleeping. I guess then there's no risk of overcharging if there is a constant drain on the battery anyway.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #5
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
the device will not over charge; the power adapter only provides power; the charging mechanism is on the vox itself, and will cut off power to the battery when it hits a certain voltage, checking the battery every so often to see if it needs to be topped up. you can safely use the device while it is plugged in.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 PM   #6
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
the device will not over charge; the power adapter only provides power; the charging mechanism is on the vox itself, and will cut off power to the battery when it hits a certain voltage, checking the battery every so often to see if it needs to be topped up. you can safely use the device while it is plugged in.
-------------------------------------------------------
Exactly. No different from having your laptop battery in place (I don't know of anybody that removes their battery, unless to replace) as you use your plugged-in laptop. You can get micro-USB extender cables that will allow you to enjoy the Vox whilst plugged into the mains. I think that they put such a short length of mains chord on the Vox charger, so as to not have it hanging down off of a table...where the user could snare it with their hand or knee, and have the Vox come crashing down to the floor. I don't think it was really a move about reducing production costs. No matter though...what a P.I.T.A.! Using a micro-USB extender cable is less weight than using an extension cord to give you some user mobility/comfort.

http://www.infinitecables.com/usb_cbl.html
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
You can get micro-USB extender cables that will allow you to enjoy the Vox whilst plugged into the mains.

http://www.infinitecables.com/usb_cbl.html
Could the Kobo USB plug be a proprietary type? It's a little wider and flatter than those on my MP3 player and GPS cables and has two little barbs on the wide side.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #8
wilbrich
Connoisseur
wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.wilbrich is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo (original), Sony Tablet, Sony PRS505
The Kobo is a micro USB Type B. There is a micro USB Type A that won't fit a Kobo. Your MP3 may be Type A (it's a perfect rectangle, not the chopped off corner type B).
wilbrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #9
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Also note that you may want to purchase a left, right, down or up micro USB adapter depending on your preference from eBay. This way when you are using the Vox and resting the device in portrait mode on your body you aren't putting a twist in the cable and mechanical stress on the internal adapter.

For example I have coming a down adapter, I think, so the cable will go straight back from my body.

As well as the afore mentioned micro USB extension cord.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:56 AM   #10
hary12
hary12 began at the beginning.

Device: deviced
laptop batteria

I also find the battery probably lasts as long as my laptop's battery if the Vox is in use.Then I bought a new battery on the site and it is good.
http://www.scontobatteria.com
hary12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 08:02 AM   #11
Glenn56
Glenn56 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
I know with a laptop battery it is good to let it run right down, initially, before recharging to calibrate the meter - however, haven't heard of this being the case with the Vox.

Although some people do leave their their laptops plugged in all the time, like a desktop, apparently this will shorten the life of the battery.

I think it's best to let your mobile device run off its own power source and only plug it in to recharge.
Glenn56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn56 View Post
Although some people do leave their their laptops plugged in all the time, like a desktop, apparently this will shorten the life of the battery.

I think it's best to let your mobile device run off its own power source and only plug it in to recharge.
I respectfully disagree. My last laptop is over five years old now. I have seldom used it while on battery power only. The battery still lasts for about a half hour compared with the original two hours.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
TonyToews
Evangelist

When used with the Kobo charger the device won't over charge. The charging light turns green once it's full up therefore the charging circuitry is doing it's job.

However with a non Kobo device then it's possible as the light doesn't turn on.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Just to add. it's a lithium ion battery and does not suffer from the "memory" effect the old nicads did, nor does it self-discharge like the NiMh ones. You can charge it at any time without worries.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:06 PM   #15
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
When used with the Kobo charger the device won't over charge. The charging light turns green once it's full up therefore the charging circuitry is doing it's job.
Thanks always good to have confirmed, I hoped (and crossed fingers) ever since the first time I forgot I had put my Vox on to charge, that it would be the same as other rechargeable devices and would stop/switch off charging once the battery is full.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging, kobo, vox