Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
New Reader Library

As posted in the News:
Quote:
This utility updates eBook Library software to Reader Library version 3.3, and provides the following benefits:
Support for PRS-350 / PRS-650
Support for new languages (Spanish, Italian, Portuguese)
Support for new regions (Australia, Spain, Italy)
PRS Device registration without Adobe ID
The xml config files in the program also mention PRS-950.

Download PC version, Mac version.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just installed it. I really don't see any improvement over the 3.2.xxx that I had installed. Looks and feels like the same crappy software it has always been. If anything they made the Reader Store more difficult to read with a terrible font choice. It looked like a bitmapped font that had been zoomed beyond its compacity to look good. The font is very ugly and is not smooth. Way to go Sony, screw it up even more!

Sony really needs to trash this software and start over from scratch. I'm sure glad I made the switch to Kindle. I was going to keep my PRS-300, but I really don't see much point in that with such lackluster customer support and crappy software.

Last edited by jswinden; 08-23-2010 at 12:51 PM.
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 01:25 PM   #3
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I think your anti-Sony feelings are coming across loud and clear (in this and many recent emails). I'm happy for your switch to the Kindle, but there are still many, many, many happy Sony customers, myself included.

I personally have no issues with their software interface.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
I think your anti-Sony feelings are coming across loud and clear (in this and many recent emails). I'm happy for your switch to the Kindle, but there are still many, many, many happy Sony customers, myself included.

I personally have no issues with their software interface.
Well good for you, but I suspect you are one of the few. I've owned nearly every Sony Reader ever made, so I definitely gave Sony every chance to get it right. And please don't forget that objective opinions are always welcomed on MR whereas taking personal jabs at people for their views is not.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And if Sony gets it right with the 650, are you going to cancel the K3 and go for a 650?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And if Sony gets it right with the 650, are you going to cancel the K3 and go for a 650?
Nope. Sony has done okay--not stellar, but okay--with their readers. They have never done well with their software, their store, or their firmware support. After giving them the honor of buying the 505, 300, 600, and 900, I think it is time to forget about Sony until Sony shows that they are actually interested in pushing their readers and making the necessary software and store improvements. I'll continue to buy ePubs from Sony when they have the best deal, but I will strip them of the DRM and convert them for whatever reader I have at the time.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, the version of ADE for the 900 is quite good. It has full justification and removes the right margin page numbers. If Sony can do that for the 350, 650, & 950, I think they'll have three winners if the rumors are true about the touchscreen/screen.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Well good for you, but I suspect you are one of the few. I've owned nearly every Sony Reader ever made, so I definitely gave Sony every chance to get it right. And please don't forget that objective opinions are always welcomed on MR whereas taking personal jabs at people for their views is not.
Umm...words like "crappy, ugly, terrible" are not objective.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:10 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
Umm...words like "crappy, ugly, terrible" are not objective.
They are truthful, therefore they are objective. And JSWolf I am talking about the Reader Library software, not the firmware of any particular Reader.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
They are not truthful, they are your opinion.

I personally like the software. Yes it can be a bit slow and clunky on a lower spec machine, especially if its got lots of books, but it does provide a very simple interface that is very easy to use. It's my prefered method of loading my books onto my PRS-600.

They definately could do with spending a lot of time improving the software, but it does do the basics. It's stores books, handles DRMed books, downloads of purchased software and transfering of books to the reader. It even does a resonable job of being used as a PC-based reader (within the bounds of the limitaions of ADE).

I still use Calibre for some of my management needs but the Sony software is my main tool.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #11
kikar
Zealot
kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kikar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many eReaders, One annoyed wife.
I like the Sony software and as of today the Sony support. Recently the heat killed one of my Sony readers I left in a car and forgot. The screen was a mess so I decided to get another reader so I could read my epub books. I ordered an Aluratek Libre and it arrived on Friday but on Friday I also came across a PRS-600 with Sony Charger at Sam's Club for 100.00 so I bought it and decided to give them both a try and return one.
I really dug the Libre but the because of the deal I got on the 600 I decided to keep it. Only to find out Sunday that when I take it out doors in the sun it fades. I called Sony, faxed them my receipt and they said they would have a new (non refurbed) unit to me within 72 hours.
Now while I like my Kindle I started thinking if my kindle had been the reader that was messed up I would not have a choice. I would have to purchase another Kindle just to read my books. with Sony I can look at other readers and with my Sony I don't have to use Sony's bookstore I can use Borders and others.
Sony was good to me today with their customer service. Then again Amazon was good last year when my wife was sent a defective unit they overnighted her a new one. This year however they said I never returned the old one and took 369.00 from my account and when I forwarded them the email showing that they had indeed received my defective Kindle a YEAR ago the refunded me the money.... A WEEK Later.
I know its anecdotal and subjective but in my opinion Sony has the better way to browse books (plus I can shop at other stores) and they have better customer service. After this latest mishap it was an eye opener into the closed microcosm that is Amazon and I will use my Kindle for free books and books found nowhere else.
kikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #12
Salgueiros
Eudaimonia
Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Salgueiros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T2, Sony PRS T3, Sony DPT-RP1
I like the Sony software. I use it all the time and never had any problem, and all the posts here about how bad it is really baffle me. Honestly, i downloaded Calibre by curiosity only, and i must say i only used it once and immediately after downloading it. Sony Library does all i want, no glitches, no hassles. I buy, download, organize, transfer and even read in the PC using it and i am pretty much happy with it.

Of course, this OPINION is absolutely biased. I really like a lot Sony products. They are the best quality products i ever bought in the electronics department, and i bought and still buy a lot of them. Solid, well-done with a great design and reliable. I have nothing bad to say about them.

I only have a Kindle to read scientific journal papers in PDF form. Sony had no reader with a screen the size of the DX at the time, and that was my ONLY reason to buy it. Otherwise, i would be 100% Sony.

Last edited by Salgueiros; 08-23-2010 at 11:49 PM.
Salgueiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #13
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Haven't used the sony software once! Calibre does what I want without any problems...
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Calibre cannot get you the free eBooks available via Sony.