Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
extendedping
Enthusiast
extendedping began at the beginning.

Device: none
is the kindle the only reader that offers free 3g network?

I see it is a primitive browser from youtube but heck it does mean internet anytime anywhere. I have read the nook for instance offers 3g but that is only to look at the b&n bookstore. so is the kindle the only ereader offering free internet 3g at this time?

what I really want is a device that is an ereader first not a tablet. then always available internet access. finally I am praying for something that will either provide a ssh client or a way to hack it onto the device without ruining the device. alas, do I ask too much?
extendedping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
Bekster
Bekster began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook has 3G everywhere AT&T 3G is available. Also, super easy to connect to wireless at home, work, etc. With the 1.3 update out last week, you also have some browser capabilities. I just got mine about a week ago , but I love it so far. I haven't used the browser much, but it is available.
When looking, I liked Nook better (vs. Kindle) because of the ability to download ebooks from library (overdrive, etc.) and view them. I understand you have to convert them to use on Kindle - but may have misunderstood!

Becky
Bekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 02:53 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
But - and please do correct me if I'm wrong - is it not the case that the nook's browser only works on WiFi, not 3G?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
But - and please do correct me if I'm wrong - is it not the case that the nook's browser only works on WiFi, not 3G?
The Nook browser does indeed work only with Wifi, not 3g.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I see it is a primitive browser from youtube but heck it does mean internet anytime anywhere. I have read the nook for instance offers 3g but that is only to look at the b&n bookstore. so is the kindle the only ereader offering free internet 3g at this time?

what I really want is a device that is an ereader first not a tablet. then always available internet access. finally I am praying for something that will either provide a ssh client or a way to hack it onto the device without ruining the device. alas, do I ask too much?
The kindle uses AT&T so you have 3G where ATT has coverage.
As I recall both the Kindle and the Nook have hacks so you can use an SSH.

I have a Kindle and do use the browser on occasion mainly to read blogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekster View Post
When looking, I liked Nook better (vs. Kindle) because of the ability to download ebooks from library (overdrive, etc.) and view them. I understand you have to convert them to use on Kindle - but may have misunderstood!

Becky
Most library's support ePub and MOBI, or PDF and MOBI. To read a library book you can just apply the kindle fix patch to make the MOBI DRM compatible with the Kindle. There is no need to convert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Wow, simply wow. So they are limiting 3G access to only their on line store?
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert