Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #1
mistert20
mistert20 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Advice on using calibre to manage PDFs on iPads

Hello,
Looking for some workflow advice, rather than reinvent the wheel. I hate the new iBooks mess, and so I'm looking to move to other book solutions for my iPads. I have a well-organized calibre library. I have just started using Marvin, but now realize that it won't support PDFs. I either need another app for PDFs, or a suggestion for a PDF/epub app for iOS. Again, I want to use calibre as my main book library. I have a lot of large books, so my library is about 20 GB in size, but I only want put about 40-50 books on the iPads at any given time. I want to avoid storing my library on Dropbox or similar, because I'd have to pay for upgraded storage space. I need to be able to put different books on different iPads. I don't care too much about features like dictionaries or even highlighting and annotations. Just want an easy way to transfer books, keep them organized, and be able to read them on the iPads.

I like the way Marvin seems to work. It does't make a second copy of the book on my Mac like the transfer to iBooks/iTunes did. Just goes straight to the device. Is there anything similar for PDFs? Or another app that integrates both Pdf and epub? If there's no similar direct transfer, then is there an app that at least respects the metadata provided by calibre, unlike the iBooks fiasco?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
Mark
mistert20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The suggestions I have seen are usually "use Marvin for EPUB and GoodReader for PDFs".

Both are supported by the calibre [Device Plugin] iOS reader applications.

I think iBooks is special in requiring you store the book in iTunes.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #3
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
I use readdle pdf expert 5, syncing the folders of the books I want on the iPad, via sftp through lan (I just sync when I'm home).
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote