Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-24-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
nikolawrites
nikolawrites began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Advice needed about buying a Paperwhite

Hi everyone!

My trusty Sony 650 reader has just sadly died, and I am looking into buying the next e-reader for myself. I was pretty much set on Kobo Glo until I learned that it doesn't support annotations in PDFs. Being a university student and often receiving textbook files and articles from my teachers in PDF, I would love to be able to highlight and annotate like I did on my Sony eReader.

Can anyone tell me how the Paperwhite handles annotating/highlighting PDF files, and if it supports reflow of text (if, say, I make the font bigger?). Also, one thing that I have heard and tried out on the Kindle app is that books side loaded onto the Kindle do not actually get listed as books, but as "personal documents" or something silly like that. Can you tell me if this is true for the Paperwhite, or if the books sent via a USB cord from the computer appear in the books section, with their cover and everything?

Thank you SO MUCH for your help, it's super appreciated!
nikolawrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
PDFs can be annotated like any other supported file format on the Kindle. PDFs by definition are NOT reflowable, however. It is a fixed, final-view format chiefly meant to look the same no matter where you view it.

You can, however, zoom in. Personally, I am not impressed by the zoom options on anything but a tablet/PC. (Based purely on experience with a Kindle, plus hearsay on MobileRead about others' Kobos.) But that's probably just me being opinionated.

Sideloaded books on my Kindle Touch appear in the main library view, however they have the "Personal Document" banner on the bottom of the cover, cutting of the last portion. That is easily fixed in calibre though. Go to Preferences ==> Conversion ==> Output Options ==> MOBI Output and set the box titled Personal Doc tag to: "[EBOK]" instead of: "[PDOC]". Now all books, when sent, will have the ebok tag set.

Last edited by eschwartz; 03-24-2014 at 01:09 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 01:18 AM   #3
nikolawrites
nikolawrites began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thanks for the reply, it's super helpful! I tried doing changing the PDOC to EBOK with Calibre, but it didn't manage to send the books to 'Books' and not 'Personal documents' on the Android app, but it may be just because I was using the 'Send to Kindle' app, and not the USB.

As for the PDFs, maybe 'reflow' isn't the best word to use, but my point was, text-based PDFs would be treated pretty much the same on my old Sony as would an EPUB - in other words, enlarging the font would not be the same as zooming (and then scrolling around the zoomed page as if it's an image), but would simply make the font bigger and effectively treat it as an EPUB. Does the Paperwhite not do this to textual PDFs?
nikolawrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolawrites View Post
Thanks for the reply, it's super helpful! I tried doing changing the PDOC to EBOK with Calibre, but it didn't manage to send the books to 'Books' and not 'Personal documents' on the Android app, but it may be just because I was using the 'Send to Kindle' app, and not the USB.
I believe the apps (and Kindle Fire) also require you to embed an ASIN, using the Quality Check plugin. And send-to-Kindle changes everything. Including marking everything as a personal document.

Quote:
As for the PDFs, maybe 'reflow' isn't the best word to use, but my point was, text-based PDFs would be treated pretty much the same on my old Sony as would an EPUB - in other words, enlarging the font would not be the same as zooming (and then scrolling around the zoomed page as if it's an image), but would simply make the font bigger and effectively treat it as an EPUB. Does the Paperwhite not do this to textual PDFs?
That is reflowable text -- I wonder why Sony doesn't dominate the ereader industry if they're sitting on the secret to reliable line unwrapping in PDFs?

My Kindle Touch just zooms in, and I'm pretty sure the later models do, too. I didn't actually know this was possible.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:17 AM   #5
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
No Kindle ereader has PDF reflow, only the Sony's. Nor Kobo or Barnes & Noble. I have had ereaders from all those manufacturers and have tried PDFs on all of them.

No one treats PDFs like Sony.

Last edited by Josieb1; 03-24-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2014, 04:54 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
No Kindle ereader has PDF reflow, only the Sony's. Nor Kobo or Barnes & Noble. I have had ereaders from all those manufacturers and have tried PDFs on all of them.

No one treats PDFs like Sony.
Pocketbook devices have pretty good PDF reflow, too.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Pocketbook devices have pretty good PDF reflow, too.
I didn't know that Harry.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would say to the OP that if PDF reading is a priority, the Kindle PW would not be a good choice. As stated, it does not support PDF reflow, only "pan across the full-sized page" style reading, which is far from satisfactory.

As has been said here innumerable times, for PDF, a large-screen tablet such as an iPad - or Android equivalent - is the best choice. Use the right tool for the job.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
For PDF's, I agree with Harry. A larger screen tablet is much better. I love my Paperwhite but use a Nook HD+ with a 9" screen for reading PDF's, magazines, web articles and graphic novels.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:47 AM   #10
snoeki
Connoisseur
snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snoeki ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 & Kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
That is easily fixed in calibre though. Go to Preferences ==> Conversion ==> Output Options ==> MOBI Output and set the box titled Personal Doc tag to: "[EBOK]" instead of: "[PDOC]". Now all books, when sent, will have the ebok tag set.
Why choose mobi if the paperwhite works perfectly with the AZW3 book format?
snoeki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoeki View Post
Why choose mobi if the paperwhite works perfectly with the AZW3 book format?
The setting is in "MOBI Output", but applies to AZW3 as well. Obviously, you will be converting to AZW3 though.