Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #16
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've not installed PRS+ on my 650. I'm waiting for the 2nd level of collections before I do. That way, I can have a better setup for series. I can have a collection called Series and then all the series under that. That would be very nice.
I installed it and left it, I feel better with one level (after all I've asked for folders and subcollections )

And I've modified PRS so I see series at the thumbnail view (only valid with my naming conventions for files), so it's OK for me.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
JSWolf:

I would install PRS+ even without second level collection support. At least the new tab-functions (paging with single tab) are worth it. And the CSS-support. And the assignable buttons. And the possibility to hold page content even in standby mode. And the folder browsing function. And the 'last opened books' on the reader-home-page. And the ... ;-)

With a custom build I do have second level collection support (and you could if you invest time to get behind making custom builds). But I do not use it.
For a subcollection 'horror' under 'sereies' you would have to name a new single collection this way:
'SERIES|HORROR'

A.
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #18
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
JSWolf:

I would install PRS+ even without second level collection support. At least the new tab-functions (paging with single tab) are worth it. And the CSS-support. And the assignable buttons. And the possibility to hold page content even in standby mode. And the folder browsing function. And the 'last opened books' on the reader-home-page. And the ... ;-)

With a custom build I do have second level collection support (and you could if you invest time to get behind making custom builds). But I do not use it.
For a subcollection 'horror' under 'sereies' you would have to name a new single collection this way:
'SERIES|HORROR'

A.
Agree 100%, take the plunge now and enjoy the added benefits. It's not like installing PRS+ will lose second level collection support for you. And updating it now is very simple, as is the initial installation: plug into your computer, double click the setup.exe file from PRS+ and wait a minute or 2, disconnect and done.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
JSWolf:

Tapping instead of swiping is a hell no. The swiping is so much better and you won't get as many visible fingerprints on the screen. Also, I can swipe on either side to change the page. It means I can hold the reader however best works for me at the time.

I know some like folders, but they have one inherent flaw. They can not be put in the order you want. They can go in alphabetical order or date order, but I cannot put in my order which could be the order I plan on reading the books in the folder. That's a major flaw with folders. I can use my order in collections.

The CSS is a nice feature. I can play around with that once I do finally install PRS+. But I'm going to wait until I get 2nd level collection without having to build a custom version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:21 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Tapping instead of swiping is a hell no.
You can still use the swipe to turn pages, it's the default setting. You have the choice to change it to a tap though as some people (I think coming from other readers to the Sony readers) preferred it. I'm with you on the swipe though, much prefer it for page turning.

Quote:
I know some like folders, but they have one inherent flaw. They can not be put in the order you want.
That's true, and I prefer to keep mine in alpha order. But you still have your collections exactly the way you want them too (just not 2nd level as you want yet). So again, you're not losing anything you like now.

To be able to change the fonts though whenever you want is well worth it. That alone has made the reader so much more enjoyable to use over the default font. Other features I find I use a lot are taking screenshots of any page, and customizing what buttons do (you can set a long hold option for the buttons for instance, which doesn't interfere with the basic default function of the reader buttons at all). And Sudoku!

But it's up to you whether it's worth it for you for the fonts to be changed now. That's primarily the main reason I wanted it, and honestly if that's all PRS+ did, I'd still be thrilled with it. The other options are icing on the cake which will appeal to some users but not everyone of course. It's nice to be able to do it the way you want since we all have our different quirks about our readers, and PRS+ gives everyone their choices or let's you stay with default settings.
Advert
Old 12-17-2011, 06:24 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did use a version of PRS+ on my 505. That worked pretty well. The CSS part back then wasn't nearly as good as it is now. I did help somewhat with some of the key bindings like being able to use the volume for other things.

For the timeout settings, the default is to go to sleep after 10 minutes. Can this be changed with PRS+? I'd prefer 30 minutes.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:31 PM   #22
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

I think changing the timeout to 30 minutes has been discussed, but it's not available now in the current releases. I can't remember if it was decided it could possibly be done or not in future releases though, I'd have to dig through the forums.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
I think changing the timeout to 30 minutes has been discussed, but it's not available now in the current releases. I can't remember if it was decided it could possibly be done or not in future releases though, I'd have to dig through the forums.
Thanks. If it can be done, I would love for it to be done.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #24
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
you can still swipe to turn pages with tap turned on. So i had tap turned on everywhere to do Next Page, and just used swipe from each side to go Previous Page. Fingerprints are not an issue to me on e-ink, i occasionally wipe the screen off and it looks fine except at certain angles. I did, however, return to swipe only for now because the tap made the swiping less sensitive somehow.. and i do need swipe to turn previous page from either side.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 03:05 AM   #25
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
It will be available, I think, but I don't know when.
Old 12-18-2011, 04:08 AM   #26
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Sorry but could someone please explain to me what PRS is?
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #27
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

PRS+ is a software developed for all the Sony models aside of T1, which offers additional options to the existing Sony firmware.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:27 AM   #28
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Thanks. If it can be done, I would love for it to be done.
It is already done, and in the default repository. Scheduled for 2.1.x alpha release, or immediat availabe with a custom build.

For 300/505 only the time for AutoStandby can be changed, for x50 models the time until AutoShutdown can changed too.

Setting can be found unter PRS+ Settings "Standby/Shutdown-Image"

EDIT: BTW AutoStandby Time for 505 is 1 hour

Last edited by Mark Nord; 12-18-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #29
slow1234
Enthusiast
slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!slow1234 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: none
now down to $79

Bestbuy.ca has now lowerered the refurbished 650's down to CAD$79.
slow1234 is offline   Reply With Quote