Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Skeezix
Enthusiast
Skeezix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Does *anything* support linear=no?

I was working on a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type book (remember those?) and after doing some research, I found that "linear=no" for all the pages except the first would be the way to go. Problem is, nothing seems to support it. Every epub reader I try happily goes through all the pages just like a regular book. So... am I wasting my time completely, or is there *something* out there that will behave the way I'm assuming it should?
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quick answer: No, you can't guarantee that it will work that way, but there are some readers that may react appropriately to the linear=no setting...possibly Azari or Readium??

Here is a link to a quick discussion that may answer your question:

All items MUST be listed in the spine, but you can choose weather it's a primary or auxiliary item. Unfortunately:
Quote:
Reading Systems are not required to differentiate between primary and auxiliary content, and for the requirements and recommendations given in this section may consider all OPS Content Documents in spine to be primary, regardless of the value of the linear attribute.
Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 PM   #3
Skeezix
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
possibly Azari or Readium??
Thanks! Readium actually behaves the way I want. (Azardi is awful. It won't even open an ePub, any ePub, on my system.)
Old 07-13-2016, 01:23 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
AFAIK, there's not a single ePub2 app that supports linear=no. However, most ePub3 apps support it. (You can convert epub2 books to epub3 books with Sigil.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Readium actually behaves the way I want.
If Readium works for you, also check out ADE 4.5.1 and the corresponding iOS and Android versions.
Another mobile app with good ePub3 support is Gitden Reader.

Quote:
Azardi is awful. It won't even open an ePub, any ePub, on my system.
Did you validate your epub with the IDPF validator?
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:05 AM   #5
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
linear="no" is a big problem.
We created several "non linear" ebooks (like Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type book), but we never use linear="no". Why? Adobe Digital Edition (and mobile) do not support it in ePub2.
Other ereader programs support it, BUT:
- most of those handles the linear="no" like a big pop up, so often if you are in a linear="no" section and close the ebook and reopen it, you find yourself in the last linear="yes" section you read before enter the linear="no";
- some ereader programs handles the linear="no" like scroll pages instead paged ones (Ibooks desktop for example);
- some ebook reader programs do not allow the reader to turn the last page of a linear="no" section. Other allow and "fall back" in to the next linear="yes" section;
- (more)

f.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2016, 11:22 AM   #6
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
I was working on a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type book...
Check the epub editions of lone wolf books at projectaon.org/ maybe they've done it in a way that is useable. No need to reinvent the wheel after all
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I was working on a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure-type book (remember those?) and after doing some research, I found that "linear=no" for all the pages except the first would be the way to go. Problem is, nothing seems to support it. Every epub reader I try happily goes through all the pages just like a regular book. So... am I wasting my time completely, or is there *something* out there that will behave the way I'm assuming it should?
No programs/apps that matter support linear=no.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No programs/apps that matter support linear=no.
That's just silly. Bookari's EPUB3 engine (Readium) supports linear=no. And it "matters" quite a lot, thank you very much.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:23 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
That's just silly. Bookari's EPUB3 engine (Readium) supports linear=no. And it "matters" quite a lot, thank you very much.
It's hardly used. There is no OSX or Windows program that uses the Readium engine.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-14-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is no OSX or Windows program that uses the Readium engine.
Of course there's not. Because not that many people read books with OSX or Windows. The platforms that currently "matter" are iOS and Android.

Windows "could" matter someday as an ereading platform, but it doesn't right now.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-14-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:51 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's hardly used. There is no OSX or Windows program that uses the Readium engine.
That's not true. ADE 4.5.1 is based on the Readium SDK and is available for Windows, macOS, iOS and Android.

And those who don't want to install Adobe apps can simply install the Google Chrome Readium extension.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
That's not true. ADE 4.5.1 is based on the Readium SDK and is available for Windows, macOS, iOS and Android.

And those who don't want to install Adobe apps can simply install the Google Chrome Readium extension.
The problem is that ADE 4.5.1 support the OTHER DRM and we cannot have that so that's useless. Also the Chrome plugin requires installing Chrome. Both not a solution.

Most eBooks are created on Windows or OS X which is where there should be a solution that is a solution. The solutions mentioned are not solutions but problems.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:20 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The problem is that ADE 4.5.1 support the OTHER DRM and we cannot have that so that's useless.
Stop changing the subject (moving the goalpost, actually). DRM has no bearing on the topic.

You said "there is no OSX or Windows program the uses the Readium engine." And that's patently false. Why don't you just admit that what you should have said was, "No programs/apps that matter to me support linear=no" ?

You know nothing, Jon Snowolf.
Spoiler:
please take that as the popular cultural reference joke it was intended to be.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-15-2016 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

@JSWolf: You really might want to consider refraining from posting, if your post doesn't contribute anything substantial.

Quote:
The problem is that ADE 4.5.1 support the OTHER DRM and we cannot have that so that's useless.
The question of the OP was about linear=no support in apps, not about DRM. Please don't resort to strawman arguments when you've been caught making blatantly false statements.

Quote:
The solutions mentioned are not solutions but problems.
I'll have to disagree on that entirely. ADE 4.5.1 (which supports linear=no) is available for free for all major platforms and RMSDK is the SDK that is the most frequently implemented by eInk device manufacturers and epub app developers.
I.e., the next generation of eInk devices and an epub apps will support linear=no.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:44 PM   #15
Skeezix
Enthusiast

Um, actually... ADE 4.5.1, at least for Windows, does not support linear=no. It was one of the EPUB readers I tested before posting, and I just checked again to make sure I wasn't on drugs or anything. Readium is the only reader I've yet found that supports it.

Tags
non-linear