Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 06:46 AM   #16
cmb1175
Enthusiast
cmb1175 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire 7th gen
ok. Thanks to Stumped i did some more detective work and downloaded a different file manager, my old file manager was finding nothing

i found my lost/missing books they have a .bin in stead of the .AZW3

and are in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/cach/krf/amazon.acount ( and what i take it is my amazon account number)

I didn't by the book from amazon i bought it from bold strokes the book is called pedal to the metal

so at least i have found out where my missing books are going !!!

I will now try sending a EPUB book and see what happens to it

Last edited by cmb1175; 01-04-2019 at 07:07 AM.
cmb1175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
More on the kindle folder.
Poking around my own setup. I see that my cc is set to write to default folder, emulate 0 books.. for all except epub.
It is not and has never been ,

set to use a folder called kindle, yet the tablet has an empty top level folder called kindle. Which apparently is not used by Amazon either?? They use the one inside of android data...?

Could be that calling something kindle invokes some special system treatment though, it is yet another factor to try to eliminate to see if anything then changes. So Chaley's suggestion of testing with default folder paths may help.

Surely Amazon has no business deleting books unexpectedly though and it would be big news if they were. They do delete stuff like kindle unlimited loans if subscription expires but that is all I can think of. Prime loans should stay so long as you are a prime !ember, they have no other expiry date.

Yet another test - it is easy to invent ests,harder to get answers ! , Would be to take a book and edit out all Asin type info before sending it through cc. And maybe also tweak the title , using calibre editor tools so that it is impossible for Amazon to match that book to it's catalogue. Does such a book still get deleted ?

I suppose it is possible that the device has hardware issues and flash storage changes are not sticking. I don't know of any utility apps that can test that.

There is no SD card in there to complicate matters? I have read of some fire tablets not playing nicely with some SD cards, and losing stuff, but then you expect to see mount errors
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So it looks as if the Kindle App is perhaps scanning the file system in the background and moving any Kindle books it encounters into its own filestore?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 AM   #19
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmb1175 View Post
and are in /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/cach/krf/amazon.acount ( and what i take it is my amazon account number)
Any chance that the folder name is "kfx" instead of "krf"? If so then we know a lot more. "kfx" is amazon's newer file format, and it would seem that the Fire is replacing your azw3 books with the "newer" kfx version.

For this to be true the books must be sourced by Amazon -- that is to say the books must have a valid amazon ASIN (product ID).
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:01 AM   #20
cmb1175
Enthusiast

Any chance that the folder name is "kfx" instead of "krf"?

fraid not its krf
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 07:02 AM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is beginning to make sense now. Especially if Amazon matches on ASIN not on store purchase records.

I am not familiar with bold strokes. Do they sell "Amazon books "? What delivery mechanisms do they offer, How do they expect their customers to get purchases onto tablets
Old 01-04-2019, 07:08 AM   #22
cmb1175
Enthusiast

ok bit more detective work lol

pedal to the metal is available on amazon, but i got my copy from bold strokes

I have tried moving to books out of the kindle folder completely into a fold i made call book. but the books still get deleted

Last edited by cmb1175; 01-04-2019 at 07:21 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 AM   #23
cmb1175
Enthusiast

bold strokes are the publisher, i download my book off them in EPUB and feed to my kindle via CC

Last edited by cmb1175; 01-04-2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:15 AM   #24
stumped
Wizard

Fwiw I have a lrf folder, several levels down within android data .. , with .bin files therein. But far more bin files than i have books on device.! Its very obfuscated

Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files/cache/lrf

I think that may have records of books that used to be on the device, but have been returned to cloud ?
Old 01-04-2019, 07:26 AM   #25
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
It is not and has never been set to use a folder called kindle, yet the tablet has an empty top level folder called kindle. Which apparently is not used by Amazon either?? They use the one inside of android data...?
Amazon does use the "kindle" folder. It was the original folder used by Kindle for Android. The Fire reader app still look there.

Sometime back we found that books in the "Books" folder would not appear on the Fire's home page, but books in "kindle" would.

You have confirmed that CC should use "kindle" not "Kindle".

@cmb1175: it might be worth changing the default book folder to "kindle" (lower case k).
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 AM   #26
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
bold strokes are the publisher, i download my book off them in EPUB and feed to my kindle via CC
So EPUB books are disappearing? There wasn't an instance of that in the debug logs.

According to the logs, Calibre is sending an azw3 for Pedal to the Metal, not an EPUB. Do you have both formats in calibre? If so, try using calibre's "Send specific format to" function to send the EPUB instead of the AZW3. Alternatively, change the order in CC's Formats and folders to prefer EPUB over AZW3. The highest on the list is preferred.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:50 AM   #27
stumped
Wizard

[QUOTE=chaley;3794816]Amazon does use the "kindle" folder. It was the original folder used by Kindle for Android. The Fire reader app still look there.

Sometime back we found that books in the "Books" folder would not appear on the Fire's home page, but books in "kindle" would.

You have confirmed that CC should use "kindle" not "Kindle".

do you mean the old OS4 carousel system?

there is not really a home page now. the HOME tab shows icons for all apps, a separate "For You" tab shows links recent stuff, which can include books.
All the owned books from amazon appear on the Books tab... which has toggles for library vs store, and for downloaded vs all

the OS 5 fire tablet layout goes like this
a long search box at top ( goes to BING)
then a row of non-editable links: hyphens added for clarity
For You - Home - Books - Video - Games - Shop, Apps - Music - Audible

Documents have been relegated to access via the Documents app

in Books I can toggle between library and store
in library I see the one book I currently have downloaded from amazon, and 2 sideloaded AZW books put into the "storage/emulated/0/books" folder by CC, some time ago.[ which have not been moved, deleted....
there is no Kindle for Android app on my fire tablet [ afaik - that is an app which you optionally download / sideload to read kindle on non amazon hardware]
in settings, apps, all I can see Amazon Kindle [system app]. That is my kindle reader app. It is not using my kindle folder at all
Old 01-04-2019, 07:55 AM   #28
cmb1175
Enthusiast

i change the EPUB to AZW3 to send to CC as i like reading the books in CC but i will try sending the books in EPUB format and reading via a 3rd party reader app and see what happens then
Old 01-04-2019, 07:57 AM   #29
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
do you mean the old OS4 carousel system?
No. I mean the "recents" page (but I am going from memory because my Fire is packed up).
Quote:
there is no Kindle for Android app on my fire tablet [ afaik - that is an app which you optionally download / sideload to read kindle on non amazon hardware]
in settings, apps, all I can see Amazon Kindle [system app]. That is my kindle reader app. It is not using my kindle folder at all
The Fire reader app is equivalent to Kindle for Android. If you put a book in "kindle" the Fire reader will see it and let you read it. And IIRC books there will appear on the "Recent" list.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:13 AM   #30
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
i change the EPUB to AZW3 to send to CC as i like reading the books in CC but i will try sending the books in EPUB format and reading via a 3rd party reader app and see what happens then
CC works well with epub. my preferred combo is CC to fetch the books from calibre content server or from my cloud backup of calibre, and then i have it set to open the books with Moon+ reader.
Once I have started an epub book I can resume either from in CC or from the recent tab in moon+.
moon+ also backs up my last page and bookmarks to my dropbox so I can read the same epub on multiple devices.
as your original source is epub anyway, the only downside is that you have to pay, once, for a decent epub reader app, whereas the Kindle one is free.
CC should work with whatever epub reader you choose to use