Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
Question Anyone run Linux on an ereader?

I have a Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, and would like to be able to type, download library books, access non-Barnes and Noble books, (Gutenberg, Mobileread, Faded Page, Google, Kobo, etc.)do my homework and maybe browse Wikipedia or online forums on it. When I bought the nook, it was with the understanding that I could run Linux on it and do this. I am now have some questions before I take the final plunge.
How well will the touchscreen work, and can a complete novice like myself get it to work altogether?
Which Linux should I choose? I want something that is small, light, fast and minimalistic, but I want a browser, an ePub reader, a word processor, Notepad++, and maybe even a C++ compiler. Is Tiny Core good, or should I choose something else?
Does anyone on here have any kind of eink device running a non-stock form of Linux, and if so, what does it do and are they happy with it?

Last edited by Panchax; 10-03-2017 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Add info
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The nook STG runs Android. You cannot install some version Linux. It's not a full computer. You can read books from the sources you mentioned. But if any of the books you want to read are PDF, forget it. It's lousy for PDF. Forget the word processor, Notepad++, C++, or any other app you want to run like that. The nook will handle ePub eBooks.

Your best bet is a laptop running Windows 10 given what you want to do.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I would always recommend purchasing a product on the basis of what it is advertised as being able to do, rather than what you think you might be able to make it do. If you want to mow the lawn, buy a lawnmower, not an electric toothbrush that you’ve read on someone’s blog can be converted into a lawnmower. Even if you do manage to carry out the conversion, you can be pretty certain it’s not going to be a terribly good lawnmower.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:50 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The nook STG runs Android. You cannot install some version Linux. It's not a full computer.
According to: https://mikecanex.wordpress.com/2012...-ubuntu-linux/
it's been done.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I would always recommend purchasing a product on the basis of what it is advertised as being able to do, rather than what you think you might be able to make it do. If you want to mow the lawn, buy a lawnmower, not an electric toothbrush that you’ve read on someone’s blog can be converted into a lawnmower. Even if you do manage to carry out the conversion, you can be pretty certain it’s not going to be a terribly good lawnmower.

So True.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2017, 05:54 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchax View Post
Does anyone on here have any kind of eink device running a non-stock form of Linux, and if so, what does it do and are they happy with it?
Ask any Kindle or Kobo eInk reader user. Both use a customized Linux as the core OS. Several Kobo devices were hacked to use Android but that was basically a dancing bear ("The marvel is not that the bear dances well, but that the bear dances at all."). If nothing else, eInk is not the display of choice for video/flash animation/etc.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
Panchax
Connoisseur
Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Panchax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
The nook STG runs Android. You cannot install some version Linux. It's not a full computer.
Android is a form of Linux. I am not sure what a 'full computer' is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Your best bet is a laptop running Windows 10 given what you want to do.
I already have one. I want to supplement it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
If you want to mow the lawn, buy a lawnmower, not an electric toothbrush that you’ve read on someone’s blog can be converted into a lawnmower.
LOL
Yes, very funny, but what I want does not exist, and I think I may be happy with a hot rod toothbrush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If nothing else, eInk is not the display of video/flash animation/etc.
I do not intend to run any form of animation on it. None of the programs I listed (except maybe some word processors) require such an ability. I think I will be happy with a "dancing bear", as long as it stays dancing and doesn't get hungry. I wanted to know if I will have touchscreen issues or something that will make the device unusable. I will look at those Kobos if I can find them. If you have more information, or links to relevant threads, I would like it if you shared them . I think a stripped-down Linux would be better than Android because it does less, and so should have less issues, but I really know very little about computers.
Panchax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Panchax, you are 90% wasting your time speaking to the users in this thread about this. They know very little and are biased against using e-readers for purposes beyond they're intended design. Go to the xda forum. They are the people that rooted the nook and have real knowledge.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:21 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Panchax, you are 90% wasting your time speaking to the users in this thread about this. They know very little and are biased against using e-readers for purposes beyond they're intended design. Go to the xda forum. They are the people that rooted the nook and have real knowledge.
Where did you get this idea?
There is an entire sub-forum dedicated to hacking a kindle.
There is also an entire forum dedicated to the Nook.
Brb. I will see if there is a developer thread.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:23 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey OP. You might check out this forum.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=231
That is the Nook Developer sub-forum.

Good luck with your grass cutting toothbrush.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:33 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panchax View Post
I have a Nook Simple Touch Glowlight, and would like to be able to type, download library books, access non-Barnes and Noble books, (Gutenberg, Mobileread, Faded Page, Google, Kobo, etc.)do my homework and maybe browse Wikipedia or online forums on it. When I bought the nook, it was with the understanding that I could run Linux on it and do this. I am now have some questions before I take the final plunge.
How well will the touchscreen work, and can a complete novice like myself get it to work altogether?
Which Linux should I choose? I want something that is small, light, fast and minimalistic, but I want a browser, an ePub reader, a word processor, Notepad++, and maybe even a C++ compiler. Is Tiny Core good, or should I choose something else?
Notepad++ is a (great) WINDOWS (only) program
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 01:55 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Where did you get the “understanding” that you’d be able to do what you describe? Consider the difficulties: how, for example, do you propose to type on such a device? You say that you “really know very little about computers”, so do you have the knowledge and experience to write the touchscreen device driver and virtual keyboard that would be required to do that?

My personal advice would be to look elsewhere, such as one of the several generic Android eInk devices that are on the market.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-04-2017 at 01:57 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:23 AM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Where did you get this idea?
There is an entire sub-forum dedicated to hacking a kindle.
There is also an entire forum dedicated to the Nook.
Brb. I will see if there is a developer thread.
Last time I looked, the Kindle, Kobo and Nook forums had Developer Corner sub-forums.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #14
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Despite the fact that in rooted android phones you can install linux through a chroot, I use the Onyx boox's as a VNC client, so I am using linux through a eReader.

@Panchax , I know nothing about Nook, but if it is running Android surely you can run a VNC client to connect to a VNC server from a Linux/WIndows/IOs. You you want to change your Windows 10, just tell you I am using a raspberry pi 3 to connect to my eReader Onyx Boox N96ML+
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Last time I looked, the Kindle, Kobo and Nook forums had Developer Corner sub-forums.
I knew Kindle and Kobo did. Yesterday was my first time in the Nook forum.
I don't think what the OP wants to is practical but at least now he has a link to see if it can be done.

@HarryT, I have seen many with no computer skills turn their devices into decorative paperweights. Though like you, I would just buy a tablet and keyboard.

Tags
eink, eink display, jailbreak, linux, word processors