Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #1021
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
url:http|//archiveofourown.org/works/159094 - working url

uri:http|//archiveofourown.org/works/117622 - non-working
uri:http|//archiveofourown.org/works/557155 - non-working
uri:http|//archiveofourown.org/works/114555 - non-working
If you look closely, there is a difference between the working and non-working ids. It works with "url:..." but not with "uri:...".

FFDL gets the story URL from one of three places on existing stories: 1) the url identifier, 2) the metadata of the EPUB, or (optionally) 3) the text of the EPUB.

FFDL isn't going to use the uri identifier, and you've proven that it can use the URL found in the text. So the difference has to be the URL in the EPUB metadata since it works with EPUBs for the same stories downloaded now. Because AO3 is still under development, I speculate that AO3 has changed their EPUB metadata since you downloaded those stories.

I will look into how difficult it would be to make FFDL look for uri identifiers as well as url, but for now continue to use the 'Search EPUB text for Story URL' option.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #1022
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@BookJunkieLI -

Try this version, it should work equally well with uri and url identifiers.

UPDATE: Nov 14 Superseded by released version.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-14-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #1023
Mandabar
Fanfiction Devourer
Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mandabar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android: Moon+ Reader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
@Mandabar - Glad you already figured out your problem. In future, please use smaller example stories if possible. Million plus word stories are a bit uncommon.
Well the problem is figured out at least. Solution still not in reach lol. Not an issue with FFDL, so I'll be looking elsewhere but thanks for taking your time to answer me.

And sorry about the Million Plus word story, I don't even look at the sub 100k stories anymore so my gauge might be off a bit on what is "long" or not. Sorry!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #1024
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Quote:
'in' is special to Python, but not to regexp, so it doesn't need to be escaped in regular expressions. Nor do commas. Parans--'()'--however, are and should be escaped with '\' when not being used for expression grouping.

This worked for me with this story:

Code:
characters=>Cheshire Cat=>Other.\1&&category=>Alice in Wonderland
...doesn't work because \1 is replaced by the first matched paran group--and this pattern doesn't have one.

This pattern instead:
Code:
characters=>(Cheshire Cat)=>Other.\1&&category=>Alice in Wonderland \(2010\)
...will change 'Cheshire Cat/Chessur' to 'Other.Cheshire Cat/Chessur'. The '/Chessur' part is kept because the pattern only matches 'Cheshire Cat', leaving the rest. To remove it, use:

Code:
characters=>(Cheshire Cat).*=>Other.\1&&category=>Alice in Wonderland \(2010\)
Then the pattern matches the entire string and changes 'Cheshire Cat/Chessur' to 'Other.Cheshire Cat'.
Thanks, I hadn't realized the \1 was looking for parenthesis. I think I finished all the regex replacements I need for FFN.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:08 PM   #1025
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Quote:
@BookJunkieLI -

Try this version, it should work equally well with uri and url identifiers.
Thanks but, uhm, how do I install it?
Advert
Old 11-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #1026
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookJunkieLI View Post
Thanks but, uhm, how do I install it?
Look at the Introduction to plugins thread under 'How do I install a plugin manually?'
Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #1027
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Quote:
Look at the Introduction to plugins thread under 'How do I install a plugin manually?'
Thank you!

Edit: Just tried it out and it works great. Thanks again for an awesome plugin!

Last edited by BookJunkieLI; 11-13-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-14-2012, 04:37 PM   #1028
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Cool

Version 1.6.19 - 14 Nov 2012
  • Fixes for www.efpfanfic.net.
  • Allow 'On Hiatus' status for fimfiction.net.
  • Recognize calibre identifier uri as well as url.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:01 PM   #1029
Niedzielan
Niedzielan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
EDIT: Nevermind, it's working now, strangely. (I had to restart several times to get it to work, once didn't do the trick. Sometimes I think my computer hates me.)

Last edited by Niedzielan; 11-14-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #1030
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Smile AO3-related feature request and question

JimmXinu, again I have a feature request . Plus a question .

Fanfics downloaded from AO3 with FFDL are currently missing the language metadata. That leads to my Kindle Touch opening the wrong (German) dictionary while reading English fanfics because without language metadata it defaults to the UI localization language. (So I bulk-add it manually, which is admittedly pretty easy, provided I don't forget to do it when I downloaded something new )

AO3 does support multiple languages, but I have not found a language indicator anywhere inside the source of e.g. this German story, so could you in the meantime give users the option to set a default language (in my case English, I have sofar only read English ffs there)?

And, longer-term, I am gonna contact them and ask them to add the language metadata inside the story/chapter HTML attributes/work header/somewhere your plug-in can find it. Is there a optimal, easy for you to work with way they could implement this? (like maybe put the language attribute into the <div id="chapters">?) Then I could send them that as a proposal. They have been very good in responding to my user feedback in the past and are in general very open to reasonable feature requests.

EDIT: I just tested their own download formats. EPUBs do contain the correct language metadata, HTMLs, MOBIs and PDFs do not or are incorrectly always marked as English. They probably just have not gotten around to adding it to the web view and those formats and are planning to do so in the future, just like they plan to have the interface translated. Sending them a feature request could still speed things up, though.

Last edited by Dylan Tomorrow; 11-15-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: +survey of their download formats
Old 11-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #1031
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@Dylan Tomorrow - I'm certainly not opposed to supporting multiple languages on AO3. And you're correct that the first step towards that would be to get them to add it to the displayed story metadata.

To my eye, the best way to do that would be to add it to the metadata block in: '<dl role="complementary" class="work meta group">' But that's clearly their choice to make.

(FYI, AO3's list-by-language pages are broken--they all give the same 'recent updates' list. Click a few of the 'works' links on the languages to see it. So there's no way to judge how accurately stories in different languages are tagged.)

As for default language, except for the few language specific sites and ffn, FFDL does default the language to English('en') inside the epub. It doesn't set the language in calibre in that case. Something about that feels familiar, like it's come up before--I'll check old postings and get back to you.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #1032
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
As for default language, except for the few language specific sites and ffn, FFDL does default the language to English('en') inside the epub. It doesn't set the language in calibre in that case. Something about that feels familiar, like it's come up before--I'll check old postings and get back to you.
@Dylan Tomorrow - I can't find anything about it now. What did you do exactly to add the language so it worked correctly for you?
Old 11-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #1033
Dylan Tomorrow
Connoisseur
Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylan Tomorrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Android smartphone w/ FBReader
Quote:
@Dylan Tomorrow - I'm certainly not opposed to supporting multiple languages on AO3. And you're correct that the first step towards that would be to get them to add it to the displayed story metadata.

To my eye, the best way to do that would be to add it to the metadata block in: '<dl role="complementary" class="work meta group">' But that's clearly their choice to make.
Okay, I'll send them a feature request with this suggestion .

Quote:
(FYI, AO3's list-by-language pages are broken--they all give the same 'recent updates' list. Click a few of the 'works' links on the languages to see it. So there's no way to judge how accurately stories in different languages are tagged.)
Those are broken, but if you click on the language instead at least the bigger languages do work. The advanced search also correctly filters for language and they state in the languages FAQ:
Quote:
To indicate what language your work is in, choose the appropriate language from the drop-down list on the 'Post New Work' form.
So I'd say it's as accurate as FF.net, just not as well implemented into the UI and output yet. They are still in beta, after all! I just finally got my invite after waiting half a year or so ...

Quote:
Oh, well, that kinda renders my complaint moot, considering I am currently only using FFDL to get the EPUBs . The problematic files must have been the FFDL-created MOBIs I used before creating them with KindleGen from EPUBs. But it would still be a a problem for people who use the MOBI files created by FFDL. So maybe default to EN in the calibre metadata? That would subsequently get written into the EPUB/MOBI when copying that to the device or disk anyway.

Quote:
@Dylan Tomorrow - I can't find anything about it now. What did you do exactly to add the language so it worked correctly for you?
I changed the language metadata in calibre. Calibre writes it into the EPUBs/MOBIs when exporting to disk or copying to the device.

Last edited by Dylan Tomorrow; 11-15-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #1034
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Tomorrow View Post
... So maybe default to EN in the calibre metadata? That would subsequently get written into the EPUB/MOBI when copying that to the device or disk anyway.
I changed the language metadata in calibre. Calibre writes it into the EPUBs/MOBIs when exporting to disk or copying to the device.
Okay. I thought maybe you did a Modify Epub step or something.

My testing shows that the language in the epub is preserved when calibre writes the epub to device if the calibre language field is empty. But I can certainly see calibre losing that in conversion if the calibre language field is empty.

The FFDL code was intended to default the language to English in calibre, too, but that code is mildly broken. It will be fixed in the next version.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #1035
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

I have a new feature I've added that I'd like some people to try out and give feed back on.

How many times have you downloaded what sounded like an interesting story only to discover that not only was it not to your taste, but that you remember starting and rejecting it before?

Now FFDL can help you out with that with it's Reject List feature.

Select the book you don't like in your library, hit the FFDL 'Reject Selected Books' option. A dialog will open up to confirm that you want to add those story URLs to the Reject List, allow you to change the note that will be saved with the URL, and (un)check whether the book will be deleted after adding to the list.

Next time you try to download that story again, FFDL will display the note and ask if you want to reject it or download it anyway. If you say 'download anyway', it will also offer to take it off the Reject List.

You can also view and clean up your Reject List from the FFDL config Basic tab.

Let me know what you think.

UPDATE Nov 19 - New test version or release is available now.

Last edited by JimmXinu; 11-19-2012 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Closed Thread