Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #16
Iris-maybe
Iris-maybe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastytoes View Post
I can't install Nook for PC or Windows Nook! Both say that they are unavailable. B and N seem to be holding my ebooks hostage! I downloaded an old version of nook for PC which shows my books, but when I press download, it either says "remove local copy" or "We are experiencing technical difficulties at this time - please try again later. (Download: 2157)"
That's what have experienced a few days ago, but problem has been fixed now since I have downloaded Nook windows app.
Iris-maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:17 PM   #17
Iris-maybe
Iris-maybe began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite2
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I have Nook for PC set up on my Windows 10 PC. It downloaded fine even last month. When I saw this thread, I tried to download a Nook book and - yup, I'm seeing the same 2157 message! So this is very new. I know my credit card is good - checked that.

I had Nook Study before. I found it a bit of a pain at times, but I may try it again. Or, I may try uninstalling Nook for PC and re-installing, and see if that fixes the problem.
Please update your test result!
Iris-maybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:45 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris-maybe View Post
I have found Nook books here( Nook windows app): C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState

Sorry, yeah. I meant to include that part with my message. I just forgot
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #19
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
I was trying to see what works and what doesn't and here's what I came up with.
  • NOOK for PC doesn't work anymore.
  • NOOK Study starts to sign me in works!
  • NOOK for Windows works for me.
  • NOOK for Android works on some of my devices.

The Windows app downloads books and I can remove the DRM using Calibre, BUT the key that the Calibre dialog retrieves no longer works. The NOOK Study key works, though, and even after the incomplete login, the instructions in the B&N readme from the Tools found the working key.

The Android thing appears to be related to the TLS 1.2 updates a while ago. Older devices don't work, newer ones do. Unfortunately, Android-x86, even the latest version, no longer works, so I had to use a legit Android phone. The Android app also uses the same key as NOOK Study and books can be retrieved from a rooted phone ("/data/data/bn.ereader/files/B&N Downloads/Books").

Edit: If you need a copy of NOOK Study, this link still works.

Last edited by Difflugia; 01-09-2019 at 04:01 PM.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:03 PM   #20
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
For Nook Study:

My trick to get Nook Study to log-on.
Quote:
You can try to trick Nook Study by
  • entering you account information
  • press enter
  • then while it is logging on close the program--do not let it time out
  • if it asks do you really want to close, closing will prevent syncing etc,etc,
  • click yes close.
  • Now reopen the program and see if you are logged in.
I would suggest trying this with Nook for PC. Remember Nook for PC uses your default browser for security and internet communications.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:23 PM   #21
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That totally worked! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
I would suggest trying this with Nook for PC.
The problem with NOOK for PC is that the login is fine and the library syncs, but downloading any book with DRM fails. Samples and some indie books download, but any with DRM give a "Download: 2157" error.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:11 PM   #22
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
That totally worked! Thanks!

The problem with NOOK for PC is that the login is fine and the library syncs, but downloading any book with DRM fails. Samples and some indie books download, but any with DRM give a "Download: 2157" error.
This is not good on Monday I tested Nook for PC ono my windows10 tablet it worked, could download books both drm and drm free plus do all functions. Today I can no longer download drm books, but all functions still work.

Nook Study on my Linux machine under wine stills downloads all books drm and drm free.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Thank goodness I downloaded all my books when we first started having problems with the download links on their website. This sounds like a mess! And as someone still on a Window 7 computer, I couldn't install the app.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:45 PM   #24
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I tested NookStudy with a free title tonight and it worked without any difficulties.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #25
blava
blava began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Key location

Where is the key kept?
blava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:47 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blava View Post
Where is the key kept?
I don't remember. But from memory, if you install the Alf plug-ins to Calibre it will find the key.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #27
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't remember. But from memory, if you install the Alf plug-ins to Calibre it will find the key.
That used to be true, but the plugin now retrieves a different key. The instructions for manually getting the key from NOOK Study were also removed from the readme a few versions ago.

Here's a link to an old version of the readme at github with the NOOK Study instructions:
DeDRM_calibre_plugin/DeDRM_plugin/DeDRM_Barnes and Noble Key_Help.htm from Tools v6.2.0.

The instructions you want start with "There is a work-around."
Old 01-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
That used to be true, but the plugin now retrieves a different key. The instructions for manually getting the key from NOOK Study were also removed from the readme a few versions ago.
A long time ago Nook Study had trouble connecting. I know there's a work around, but I installed the B&N Windows 10 app and that works, so I've never bothered.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:15 PM   #29
sawdin2
Enthusiast
sawdin2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage; Former Nook HD+ user
1. I downloaded the Nook app from the windows store.
2. Opened Calibre, selected “Add Books” and then used the following address: C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState
3. Books were added in Calibre, but some would open up with a dialogue box stating “This book is locked by DRM.”
4. Do I need to open up the DeDRM 6.6.3 plugin in calibre and make new keys?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ap...20Key_Help.htm

Thanks in advance!

PS...Great thread!!
sawdin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #30
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawdin2 View Post
1. I downloaded the Nook app from the windows store.
2. Opened Calibre, selected “Add Books” and then used the following address: C:\Users\"username"\App Data\Local\Packages\BarnesNoble.Nook_ahnzqzva31enc \LocalState
3. Books were added in Calibre, but some would open up with a dialogue box stating “This book is locked by DRM.”
4. Do I need to open up the DeDRM 6.6.3 plugin in calibre and make new keys?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ap...20Key_Help.htm

Thanks in advance!

PS...Great thread!!
The only working way I know to retrieve a key right now is to pull it from the NOOK app on a rooted Android device. Once you retrieve the key, follow the rest of the instructions in the help file, substituting the Android key for the one from the log file.

The Mobileread policy (as I last knew and understood it) is that we can link to instructions for DeDRM, but can't give the instructions themselves here. If the (admittedly somewhat cryptic) directions above don't get the plugin working for you, ask directly at Alf's blog or at github.

If you do get it to work, I suggest that you make a backup of the NOOK app's APK file. Even if a future update breaks the ability to get the key, it would be a much bigger pain (though not unheard of) to stop old versions from working in a way that forces everyone to update.

If you don't have a rooted Android device, you can run the Android NOOK app in Google's development emulator. The emulator can be installed with Android Studio. The easiest way to get it up and running is to install the Studio (the default "standard" option is fine), making sure that "Android Virtual Device" is selected as a component to be installed. When it runs for the first time, create a new project with a "Basic Activity" and select "Run->Run App". Click the defaults through a few prompts and you should see a virtual Android phone booting up and eventually the sample app you just created ("Hello World!"). You can now interact with it using the virtual touch screen and adb commands ("adb install app_name.apk" will install an APK file you've saved, "adb root" will toggle root access and "adb shell" will give you a command prompt on the device).