Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-21-2018, 08:28 AM   #16
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
No, the Aura ONE has fixed storage. It cannot be changed. There is a 32GB version of the Aura ONE.
Yeah, it seemed too good to be true. So now I've scaled down my options to Pocketbook Inkpad 3 or Kobo Forma. And I wonder if it's worth having all my books on the device.
I just hope my daughter's old reader will give up the ghost (or maybe I can make that happen).
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:00 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Just a note: you can add your own fonts and adjust font weight on all newer Kindles, out of the box, without any hacks or a need for jailbreaking.
And you can also store unlimited numbers of personal documents in Amazon's Cloud and download from anywhere to your Kindle. The latest version of the Kindle Paperwhite has a 32GB storage option.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #18
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Yeah, it seemed too good to be true. So now I've scaled down my options to Pocketbook Inkpad 3 or Kobo Forma. And I wonder if it's worth having all my books on the device.
I just hope my daughter's old reader will give up the ghost (or maybe I can make that happen).
Sell DD old device pass down the one you currently have then You buy a new device with more storage... win win
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:30 AM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobama View Post
The internal card in Kobo Aura One is a regular microSD that you can change. This, however, requires some skill and courage to open up the device and install the software on the other microSD.

Also, the upper size limit for the new card is 32GB as far as I know. You may eventually run out of that too as your reading career accrues. I have.
Minor nit. The Kobo Aura One does not have an internal uSD card. It has a soldered to the motherboard eMMC. With a surface mount hot air rework station and an eMMC programmer, you could—possibly—replace it with up to a 256GB unit. The cost of the rework station and programmer will run you from $275 Cdn up.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #20
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Minor nit. The Kobo Aura One does not have an internal uSD card. It has a soldered to the motherboard eMMC. With a surface mount hot air rework station and an eMMC programmer, you could—possibly—replace it with up to a 256GB unit. The cost of the rework station and programmer will run you from $275 Cdn up.
Yeah, that's a minor nit.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:52 AM   #21
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Thanks for clearing that up. I would almost have bought myself a Kobo Aura One under the impression I could do things with it as I can with H2O.

I'll keep the H2O then and drop hopes that evolution of the devices returns to a sane path.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #22
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Do you really need to carry your entire library around with you? Imagine carrying shelves and shelves of physical books!

Maybe put some of the books back onto your computer, if they're not already there; then move them to an external hard drive, or to cloud storage. You will still have your books ready when you want them, but they won't be taking up room on your reader or your computer.

Lots of room for more books that you haven't read.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 05:39 AM   #23
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Do you really need to carry your entire library around with you? Imagine carrying shelves and shelves of physical books!

Maybe put some of the books back onto your computer, if they're not already there; then move them to an external hard drive, or to cloud storage. You will still have your books ready when you want them, but they won't be taking up room on your reader or your computer.

Lots of room for more books that you haven't read.
Of course, it's a first-world problem. And all my books are in Calibre on my PC. It's this entitled "I want it and I want it now" that I too have succumbed to. This feeling of missing out on this one book that I might want to read at this moment and that happens not to be on my device. The chances of that happening are infintesimal, looking at the number of books I do have on the device.
In the end I think I'll get used to it and probably won't buy a Forma or Aura One LE. It is silly to spend so much money just to have 1660 books instead of 1600. Though I very much like some of the Forma's specs!
Old 12-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #24
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
It is silly to spend so much money just to have 1660 books instead of 1600.
Serious question - how big are your books if you can "only" fit 1600 on the 8GB (6.5 effective) standard storage of most Kobos? Are they mostly mangas/comics?
Old 12-23-2018, 06:40 AM   #25
bartveld
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
Serious question - how big are your books if you can "only" fit 1600 on the 8GB (6.5 effective) standard storage of most Kobos? Are they mostly mangas/comics?
Yes, I'd been wondering about that as well. No comics/manga. But I have about 120 books over 10 Mb of which 46 over 20 Mb with Walter Isaacson's Leonardo da Vinci the biggest at 443 Mb! 706 books are under 1 Mb.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #26
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
...But I have about 120 books over 10 Mb of which 46 over 20 Mb with Walter Isaacson's Leonardo da Vinci the biggest at 443 Mb! 706 books are under 1 Mb.
Yes, I think many readers of mostly fiction don't seem to be aware of the storage size that a non-fiction library can require. The 15 largest books in my library would only just fit on an 8GB card and I am sure many others who include much non-fiction in their reading would be similar.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #27
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Of course, it's a first-world problem. And all my books are in Calibre on my PC. It's this entitled "I want it and I want it now" that I too have succumbed to. This feeling of missing out on this one book that I might want to read at this moment and that happens not to be on my device. The chances of that happening are infintesimal, looking at the number of books I do have on the device.
In the end I think I'll get used to it and probably won't buy a Forma or Aura One LE. It is silly to spend so much money just to have 1660 books instead of 1600. Though I very much like some of the Forma's specs!
While I upgraded my Clara HD to a 32GB uSD card and keep most of my library on it, I still do most of my reading on my KA1. Given access to WiFi and a calibre server NATted to the Internet, I can call home and grab a book if I run out. Possibly not quite as good as the Amazon or Tolino clouds but serves my purposes and the books are all cleaned up, error checked, good covers/metadata and all the other bits and pieces I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Yes, I think many readers of mostly fiction don't seem to be aware of the storage size that a non-fiction library can require. The 15 largest books in my library would only just fit on an 8GB card and I am sure many others who include much non-fiction in their reading would be similar.
As for book size, I do seem to remember when the Nook Glowlight 3 was released with an 1GB user partition, there were arguments over whether that was sufficient. I remember mentioning out the 4 largest cooking-related ebooks in my collection would fill that space.

Edit: Just checked and currently, the 4 largest ebooks are 367MB, 322.6MB, 260.1MB and 240MB so would need 1.17GB now.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-24-2018 at 02:04 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #28
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
The largest books in my Calibre library are non-fiction, but even the largest of them, a very comprehensive Italian grammar course, is only 117MB, meaning I could get 40 of them on my Kobo's inbuilt storage. I had thought perhaps books like The Empire of the Word or The Horse, The Wheel, and Language, with lots of maps and illustrations, might have been fat, but they're not even 10MB. And they're the sort of books I tend to read on my PC or tablet, since e-ink is not optimal for that sort of content, for me.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:04 AM   #29
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
In my library I have, apart from Isaacson’s Leonardo (443 mb), Montefiore’s Romanovs (222 mb), Sushi Chef by Shinzo Satomi (310 mb), English and Their History (117 mb), News from Tartary (94 mb), Japanese Folktales (87 mb), Ulrich’s Hitler Ascent (64 mb) and some fiction books that are also rather large files.
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote