Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-28-2018, 05:12 AM   #31
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I've been an Apple fan boy for a long time. All our devices are Apple. I've never owned a PC. However, I have never bought into Apple content. Music, no, it's compressed. Books, no, too much trouble and I like eink. Movies, no, I quit redeeming digital movies to iTunes and now redeem via Vudu. Just an all around no on Apple for content.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:21 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Article says simpler? Could not get any more simple. Interface is that drab grey. I do not buy books from apple for it is so boring. Now if Apple made an eink ereader in that nice rose gold I will be all in
I will never ever spend money on eBooks or anything to do with eBooks from Apple. And please, don't spend any eBook money with Apple. Apple helped bring Agency pricing into being and we lost a lot of really good small independent eBook shops because of that. Apple needs to go down in flames and not be able to sell any sort of digital book be it an eBook or an app based in a book. I'll go so far as to say no audiobooks and no movies based on a book. Apple should not be allowed to have anything to do with books. And that also means iBooks & Pages go and so does this new book app.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 05:25 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
Music, no, it's compressed.
That statement while correct is also incorrect. Compressed is not the issue. The issue is that music from Apple is lossy. It's compressed as AAC. There are a number of online shops where you can buy digital music that's not lossy.
Old 01-28-2018, 05:51 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That statement while correct is also incorrect. Compressed is not the issue. The issue is that music from Apple is lossy. It's compressed as AAC. There are a number of online shops where you can buy digital music that's not lossy.
I think people can make too big a deal out of this. I certainly can't detect any difference between a 320k MP3 file (the bit rate that Apple use) and the uncompressed original, even on my very, very good HiFi system. I doubt that human hearing is capable is detecting such differences.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:21 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think people can make too big a deal out of this. I certainly can't detect any difference between a 320k MP3 file (the bit rate that Apple use) and the uncompressed original, even on my very, very good HiFi system. I doubt that human hearing is capable is detecting such differences.
What about the difference between 320k MP3 and a 24/96 version?
Advert
Old 01-28-2018, 06:28 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
No idea, I'm afraid. What's your experience?
Old 01-28-2018, 08:39 AM   #37
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html is primarily about 24/192 but discusses 24-bits in a vacuum further down the page.

http://drewdaniels.com/audible.pdf is the best-designed real-world test I've seen of 16/44.1khz vs high-resolution music.

There's a transitivity issue here, but it's a starting point.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
https://xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html is primarily about 24/192 but discusses 24-bits in a vacuum further down the page.

http://drewdaniels.com/audible.pdf is the best-designed real-world test I've seen of 16/44.1khz vs high-resolution music.

There's a transitivity issue here, but it's a starting point.
A very interesting study: to summarise (for those who don't wish to read it) a test of CD-quality sound vs. 24-bit sound in a test group of audiophiles and recording-studio sound engineers resulted in no correlation better than random chance of any ability to tell the two apart.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #39
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I once played a fun game with my wife: I burned CDs with the identical music, one sourced from 320k mp3 files, the other lossless. Then we did double blind tests on each other on our pretty good stereo. Neither of us managed to identify the mp3s.

And yet: I listen to lossless only, because listening to mp3s gives me a headache after a while. I guess supplying all that missing sound puts stress on the brain.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:35 AM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

That xiph.org post is a load of crap. It doesn't say anything useful. It doesn't say anything about how the music sounds with more bits and the cutoff point being that close to 20kHz. It's not about what you cannot hear, it's about making what you can hear sound better. That post is pulled out whenever someone is trying to say that 16/44.1 is all we need.

As for the blind test, this is what stands out...
Quote:
4 A NOTE ON HIGH-RESOLUTION RECORDINGS

Though our tests failed to substantiate the claimed advantages of high-resolution encoding for two-channel audio, one trend became obvious very quickly and held up throughout our testing: virtually all of the SACD and DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs—sometimes much better. Had we not “degraded” the sound to CD quality and blind-tested for audible differences, we would have been tempted to ascribe this sonic superiority to the recording processes used to make them.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-28-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:50 AM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
I once played a fun game with my wife: I burned CDs with the identical music, one sourced from 320k mp3 files, the other lossless. Then we did double blind tests on each other on our pretty good stereo. Neither of us managed to identify the mp3s.

And yet: I listen to lossless only, because listening to mp3s gives me a headache after a while. I guess supplying all that missing sound puts stress on the brain.
One thing you do get with MP3 is a squashing of the soundstage. Sometimes an MP3 can have a wider sound, but there is less space between the sounds.

One thing a lot of people do not get is that frequencies you cannot hear can have an effect on frequencies you can hear. So dropping frequencies just because some people cannot hear them can effect what you can hear.

Last edited by JSWolf; 01-28-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #42
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Which shows that (unsurprisingly) multi-channel sound sounds better than stereo, a fact that will be self-evident to anyone who has a "surround sound" system on their TV at home. That, though, is not what we were discussing. We were asking whether there is any perceptible difference between compressed and uncompressed music, to which the answer (for many of us, at least), is "no, provided the bit-rate is sufficient".
Old 01-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Which shows that (unsurprisingly) multi-channel sound is better than stereo, a fact that will self-evident to anyone who has a "surround sound" system on their TV at home. That, though, is not what we were discussing. We were asking whether there is any perceptible difference between compressed and uncompressed music, to which the answer (for many of us, at least), is "no, provided the bit-rate is sufficient".
It also depends on where and how you are listening. For example, listening in a car, 320k MP3 is good enough for most people.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #44
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
It also depends on where and how you are listening. For example, listening in a car, 320k MP3 is good enough for most people.
As I said previously, Jon, I enjoy listening to classical music (opera in particular), and I have a pretty decent Hi-Fi system. I'm unable to detect the slightest difference between my original CDs, and those same CDs converted to 320kb MP3 files, and that's all that matters to me.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
128k MP3 out of an Echo Dot is music to monkey's ears
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote