Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-20-2016, 07:48 PM   #1
jacek.ciach
jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: PocketBook 623
[PB623] Copy ABBYY Lingvo dictionaries from one PocketBook to another

Hi everyone!

About a year ago I bought PocketBook 623. There were some ABBYY Lingvo dictionaries installed -- especially English-Polish one.

Unfortunately, that reader's screen broke. I managed to buy a new PocketBook 623 -- but the new one has no English-Polish ABBYY Lingvo installed (it has several Ru->* and *->Ru).

I thought that I could just copy ABBYY dictionaries from the old one to the new one. But -- there're no such files. In /system/dictionaries there is only Webster.

It seems, for me, that the dictionaries are embedded into firmware.

So -- is there any possibility to copy the embedded dictionaries from one device to another?

Last edited by jacek.ciach; 06-20-2016 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Adding a prefix to the title; spelling in the title
jacek.ciach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The commercial dictionaries aren't accessible via the USB interface. They are in the /mnt/secure/dictionaries/ directory in the root filesystem. I think there are two problems with just copying them from one device to another. First, that directory is read-only, and you would first have to root the new device to be able to write to it (and so far no one has figured out how to root the new devices). Second, there is a license file for each commercial dictionary there, and it's likely that the license file is tied to the device it was installed on. If so, the dictionary wouldn't work, even if you figured out a way to copy it to the directory.

There is a third problem, and that is that you probably need a working screen to be able to copy the files off the old device. Any method I can think of needs for you to be able to start an application from the Applications menu. If your screen is broken badly and you can't read or interact with that menu, then you probably can't copy the files yourself from the running device.

You could try taking the device apart and seeing if there is a removable SD card used for internal storage, and reading it from your desktop. I would read off everything available via USB first, though, in case the device gets broken even worse after that.

P.S. You can buy a En->Pl dictionary at the Obreey store if copying fails. It costs about US$10.50 for the Collins dictionary.

Last edited by rkomar; 06-20-2016 at 09:57 PM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:28 AM   #3
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
You could try taking the device apart and seeing if there is a removable SD card used for internal storage, and reading it from your desktop. I would read off everything available via USB first, though, in case the device gets broken even worse after that.

Considering that the device has the same formfactor as PB 626 TL3, I assume the insides might be the same. If the device hardware is similar you should have a MicroSDHC card in it (check the pictures attached HERE)
You should be able to copy whatever you want from the firmware. The card is glued in place though and it won't be very easy to stick it back in the device.

Last edited by brucelee; 06-21-2016 at 06:31 AM.
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 04:00 AM   #4
jacek.ciach
jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jacek.ciach is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Thank you very much for your replies.

The screen is too much crashed, so I'd not be able to use it.

So it seems to me, that I have to open the broken one and copy data from the memory card.

I just hope, that the commercial dictionaries don't have to be copied to /mnt/secure/dictionaries again and aren't tied to the device...

Anyway, whatever happens -- I'll share my experience.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
jacek.ciach

I managed to open my broken device.
Just insert something very thin between the box and the cover. The cover detaches from the box with a soft sound.

Unfortunately, there is no memory card on the 623's board.

I've taken a few photos of 623. I'm sending them in the post.

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0634_cropped.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	149641   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0635.JPG
Views:	603
Size:	925.8 KB
ID:	149642   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0636.JPG
Views:	550
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	149643   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0637.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	677.1 KB
ID:	149644  
Old 06-27-2016, 05:00 AM   #6
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EnergySistemEreaderPro, Nook STG, Pocketbook 622, Bookeen Cybooks ...
Why don't you just replace the screen from the old one with the screen from the new one?
nhedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:07 PM   #7
jacek.ciach

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Why don't you just replace the screen from the old one with the screen from the new one?
Yes, I thought about it. But I also thought, that it's better to have one working device, than two broken -- I couldn't be sure, if replacing the screen would be successful.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:17 PM   #8
nhedgehog
Guru
nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nhedgehog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacek.ciach View Post
Yes, I thought about it. But I also thought, that it's better to have one working device, than two broken -- I couldn't be sure, if replacing the screen would be successful.
That will depend on your skills. I feel quite competent replacing the screen since I have some experiences with it. Others will feel different about it. Compared to the Bookeen Cybook Odyssey models (which are using the same eink screens), Pocketbook models 622/623 are very easy to disassemble and more important easy to reassemble since they are very well built.
Another aspect for me would be, that I'm not sure about the quality of the inbuild ABBYY Lingvo® dictionaries. As a native German speaker my interests are mainly Eng-Eng&Eng-Ger and I found much better dictionaries for free elsewhere ....
Old 06-27-2016, 06:51 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhedgehog View Post
Another aspect for me would be, that I'm not sure about the quality of the inbuild ABBYY Lingvo® dictionaries. As a native German speaker my interests are mainly Eng-Eng&Eng-Ger and I found much better dictionaries for free elsewhere ....
Why not help other members by giving links to these better dictionaries? I'm sure that such information would be appreciated.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:40 AM   #10
nhedgehog
Guru

Dictionary sources

Sure, but jacek was asking for Polish dics:
A good source is http://enpl.dict.cc/?s=about%3Awordlist. Since they are very generous with their vocabulary database and are asking not to give the dics away, every user should create his dictionary himself. There is one english-german downloadable at the aforementioned site too.
There is a whole thread about dics and conversion here at
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60689
Alberto Pettarin, the creator of Penelope (an universal converter), has his thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=232883
And the thread here from the very helpful SIRSteiner:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=190769
For whose who understand German a good source of information is this from yen:
http://www.lesen.net/forum/ebook-rea...bo-außer-firm/

And the the attached file from the last mentioned thread has all the infos in German in it including the tools needed (source yen from the German forum).

EDIT: And for Jacek who is looking for Polish sources, that could be interesting:
http://zabałaganionemiejsce.pl/slownik-sjp-pl/
Conversion should work with penelope but I didn't check it.
Attached Files
File Type: zip woerterbuch.zip (998.7 KB, 362 views)

Last edited by nhedgehog; 06-28-2016 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:54 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #12
jacek.ciach

nhedgehog, thank you very much for the links you've shared

Tags
abbyy, dictionaries, pocketbook