Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 11-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
"enjoytheclassics dot com"

Here's a new one I hadn't seen: quote:
Listen to the 100 Greatest Books of All Time
Preloaded on an MP3 player. The perfect gift for yourself or someone else.
http://enjoytheclassics.com

It appears to be a pile of public domain books, read by someone, plus another fistful of music as well -- all loaded onto an MP3 player of some brand that I can't quite identify. For $99.

It was advertised today on A.Word.A.Day, a long running and well respected daily word email.

Eenteresting. Any thoughts? [I'm not personally interested. I can probably get the same books on Librivox.org ]
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Whenever narrators aren't identified, I assume they're LibriVox recordings. This seems like an awful lot to pay just for the convenience of having books preloaded onto a no-name mp3 player.

(I don't understand why this was moved to the books section--to my mind, discussion of a preloaded device properly belongs in the hardware section.)
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ehh. I don't care what forum it's in.

And if one is very non geeky, maybe it's worth the price. It saves the downloading, the FINDING of librivox to begin with, etc. Saves figuring out how to make an MP3 download work, etc. IE If you don't know how to do any of this stuff already, if might be a decent deal. If you buy more than one, the second costs only $69. (Or was it $79; see the FAQ page.)

But still .... not worth it to me.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Ehh. I don't care what forum it's in.

And if one is very non geeky, maybe it's worth the price. It saves the downloading, the FINDING of librivox to begin with, etc. Saves figuring out how to make an MP3 download work, etc. IE If you don't know how to do any of this stuff already, if might be a decent deal. If you buy more than one, the second costs only $69. (Or was it $79; see the FAQ page.)

But still .... not worth it to me.
Sorry, my error. I did not realize it was a preloaded device. I will move it back.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:17 PM   #5
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I did not intend my tone to be so abrupt. Sorry 'bout that.

As far as the device goes: I think the convenience might be worth it if the thing were priced around $50. Even at $50 these folks are would be making an enormous profit if they're using LibriVox or other nonprofessional recordings and just loading them onto a cheap mp3 player. At $100, it seems incredibly overpriced.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #6
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

They show a picture of the device, and a video of how to use it. Somebody might know what device it is. It *almost* looks like an old ipod, but I don't quite think so.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #7
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Interesting concept, but way overpriced. I have serious doubts about the quality of the MP3 player and I'm fairly certain these are LibriVox recordings.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:15 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Most people these days have a Smartphone, and certainly on an iPhone the free Librivox app makes it trivial to find and listen to recordings; you can just browse the catalogue by author, search, etc. No need to know how to download files or anything like that. I imagine that the Android version of the app works equally well.

This seems like a case of someone trying to make a profit from the generous free work of others.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-06-2015 at 03:29 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

There are still a lot of older folks who don't have a smart phone, and couldn't do the downloading in a million years. And THEY might be the ones who want the older books, too. (Thinking of my mother.... who fortunately has me to give her my hand-me-down Kindles, and to electronically send the books to them over the aether.)
Old 11-06-2015, 04:04 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A fair point, Deb.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote