Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-15-2019, 02:53 PM   #46
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Searching ...
I don't organize. A book catches my interest and I read it.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 11:07 PM   #47
haertig
Guru
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
...I have to sometimes double-check to see if I don't already own a book.
I hate it when I buy something that I already own!

Amazon is quite good about telling you what you've purchased from them in the past, so you don't re-buy. That doesn't help you if you routinely buy from different sources though.

Just today, I went to buy a book and Amazon warned me that I had already bought it back in 2013. Today's trigger to purchase it was that it was $0.00. Why not "buy" a free book? I looked back at my old 2013 order, and sure enough, I had bought it for $0.00 back then. Once a cheapskate, always a cheapskate I guess. Maybe I'll get around to reading it before it goes on sale again for $0.00 in another decade or so - that way I might remember the name of the book and not try to buy it again!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2019, 11:21 PM   #48
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3, PPW 2 3, HDX, KBasic 5, 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So getting a job gave you ebook OCD? How odd.
I'm a victim of sales. Bookstore sales. I did have a decade where I had no unread books, but that was an awkward time.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:54 AM   #49
maddz
Guru
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
Amazon is quite good about telling you what you've purchased from them in the past, so you don't re-buy. That doesn't help you if you routinely buy from different sources.
Or it’s a new edition with a different ISBN. I often have 2 copies of the first in a series - the first I got in a deal, then I got an omnibus in a deal...
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:05 AM   #50
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:

Amazon is quite good about telling you what you've purchased from them in the past, so you don't re-buy. That doesn't help you if you routinely buy from different sources though.
That is a nice feature of Amazon. I'm fairly absent minded when it comes to such things. I have more than a few books and DVD's that I have multiple copies of.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2019, 10:25 AM   #51
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
That is a nice feature of Amazon. I'm fairly absent minded when it comes to such things. I have more than a few books and DVD's that I have multiple copies of.
Of course, the advantage for Amazon is it entices the customer to make all their purchases from them.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:06 PM   #52
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Of course, the advantage for Amazon is it entices the customer to make all their purchases from them.
Of course. I do think at times that I should buy more from Apple and Kobo just to encourage them, but so far neither has given me a compelling reason to do so and there are certain advantages to using Amazon.

I was thinking about pre-ordering Mythos by Stephen Fry from the Kobo store, but ended up doing it from the Amazon store instead. I will likely buy the audiobook for that one as well and sometimes one can get a nice discount if you already have the ebook. Plus, I don't have the Adobe DRM set up on my Mac and I understand that I will need to get an older version to remove the DRM. I already have that process set up for the kindle store.

Amazon has done an excellent job of creating synergy between their various offerings to keep you in their walled garden.

Last edited by pwalker8; 08-20-2019 at 01:08 PM.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:38 AM   #53
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Another really good site is dead. FictFact is now dead. IT was really good for keeping track of book series. But they did have short-sightedness and it was really difficult to contact them to tell them of mistakes. For example, they thought that James Patterson's Bookshots was a series when that was way wrong. I told them time and time again and they would not listen even when I tried to give them proof.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 12:32 PM   #54
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Another really good site is dead. FictFact is now dead. IT was really good for keeping track of book series. But they did have short-sightedness and it was really difficult to contact them to tell them of mistakes. For example, they thought that James Patterson's Bookshots was a series when that was way wrong. I told them time and time again and they would not listen even when I tried to give them proof.
It took me a few times to understand that.
Bookshots is an IMPRINT

But I agree, many sites (not just that one) are so isolated (from Spammers) that getting corrections is near impossible.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #55
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:

Kobo offers the same functionality -- when you look at the details for a book in your library, the price pane is replaced with a "You already have this title". I don't buy enough from Google to have run into attempting to repurchase so can't say if they offer the equivalent warning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	you already own.png
Views:	13
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	173140  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:42 PM   #56
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I don't buy enough from Google to have run into attempting to repurchase so can't say if they offer the equivalent warning.
Google won't let you repurchase a book at all. There won't be a "Buy" button, if you've already bought it.

Personally I have no use whatsoever for store warnings, because I buy my books from several different stores. Amazon, Kobo, Google, Smashwords, directly from the publisher etc. Calibre is the only way I have to keep track of my purchases and not buy anything several times over.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #57
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Google won't let you repurchase a book at all. There won't be a "Buy" button, if you've already bought it.

Personally I have no use whatsoever for store warnings, because I buy my books from several different stores. Amazon, Kobo, Google, Smashwords, directly from the publisher etc. Calibre is the only way I have to keep track of my purchases and not buy anything several times over.
I think if you go to your My Library page you can download the book again. As usual, the Google user interface is opaque and unintuitive.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #58
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 2 & 3, Nook Glowlight Plus (7.8'')
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I think if you go to your My Library page you can download the book again. As usual, the Google user interface is opaque and unintuitive.
Yes, of course you can download it again. You just can't purchase it again.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #59
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes, of course you can download it again. You just can't purchase it again.
I may be profligate, but not that profligate.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:57 PM   #60
blue_skies
Addict
blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.blue_skies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue T62+; Boyue Mimas; and my old Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
For eBooks I import them all into Calibre, make sure the author and titles are in the 'correct' (for me) formats, and that everything is organised by genre and series, then run them through a process that converts each series to a single book for transfer to my readers. I find it easier to browse things on a small-screen device that way.
Is there a Calibre plug-in you use for that?
blue_skies is offline   Reply With Quote