Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-29-2019, 03:19 PM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I read what interests me. Period. The value of my time and the price of admission rarely factor into my decision in that regard.

Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #17
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
So...do I read a "Jack Noble" book for $3.99 or a "Mitch Rapp" book (that the Jack Noble book compares itself too) for $8.99?
Reading what you've written, I say read the Mitch Rapp books until you've read them all or are fed up with Mitch Rapp.

The Jack Noble books will be there when you've read all the Rapp that are currently available and are eagerly awaiting the next installment.

I buy indies here and there, but I've noticed most of the 'indies' I buy are reprints of books that were published by the Big 5 at one point in time and have fallen out of print.

There's something to be said for the editing and polish of a big publisher. Some indies do hire professional editors, etc. But there's not an easy way to tell who has and who hasn't.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 06:26 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Annoying: Rampant 'Name Dropping (be it brand or personages) unless it is really needed to move the story forward.
That's funny, because including brand names is one of the things I heard praised about early Stephen King writing. It helps set his outlandish stories more concretely in the 'real world'.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:43 PM   #19
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
That's funny, because including brand names is one of the things I heard praised about early Stephen King writing. It helps set his outlandish stories more concretely in the 'real world'.
I think the annoying part comes from it being rampant (overdone) and/or clearly product placement.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 10:05 PM   #20
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Reading what you've written, I say read the Mitch Rapp books until you've read them all or are fed up with Mitch Rapp.

The Jack Noble books will be there when you've read all the Rapp that are currently available and are eagerly awaiting the next installment.

I buy indies here and there, but I've noticed most of the 'indies' I buy are reprints of books that were published by the Big 5 at one point in time and have fallen out of print.

There's something to be said for the editing and polish of a big publisher. Some indies do hire professional editors, etc. But there's not an easy way to tell who has and who hasn't.
Yep. And it’s not just the typos and grammar. It’s the depth of the story telling. The extra details, the texture, the character development.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Technology flaws (spark plugs on a Diesel).
There is one exception to this. Diesel powered tanks usually have a small gas powered engine as "starter motor" for the big one ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:04 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Yep. And it’s not just the typos and grammar. It’s the depth of the story telling. The extra details, the texture, the character development.
That's all part of what a good editor provides. Ever read the story of how To Kill A Mockingbird was written? It sounded like the book was really co-written by Lee Harper and her editor. That's a bit of an extreme example.

For me, an author is either a good story teller or he isn't. That's the talent part. What makes a great author is when the author is a good story teller and is willing to take feedback, either from the editor or from a reading group, to polish the work.

Many indies suffer from the same issue that many famous authors do after they become famous, i.e. they don't have to listen to their editor, or editors focus on grammar/spelling/continuity issues and stop making readability suggestions.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:39 AM   #23
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I read what interests me. Period. The value of my time and the price of admission rarely factor into my decision in that regard.
I agree with the first. But the value of my time does matter to me as well my patience, which also is limited. Not only do I want to maximize my actual reading time by playing the odds in terms of likely sources and avoiding the ocean of carp that is self-pubbed, I also have a kindly regard for my mental and emotional health, which is not helped by reading awful stuff, even just to sample it.

Quote:
Indies strike me as tending to be long on conversation and short on narrative. It's as if the author heard the voices in his head and just transcribed them, like a court reporter.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:02 AM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post

Indies strike me as tending to be long on conversation and short on narrative. It's as if the author heard the voices in his head and just transcribed them, like a court reporter.
I've noticed that a number of indies are from the "No s**t, there I was..." school of story telling that is so popular when shooting the breeze with your buddies in a bar. Basically, they want to jump to the "good stuff" without build up or setting the stage. Zombie Apocalypse books are well known for this sort of style.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:20 AM   #25
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I agree with the first. But the value of my time does matter to me as well my patience, which also is limited. Not only do I want to maximize my actual reading time by playing the odds in terms of likely sources and avoiding the ocean of carp that is self-pubbed, I also have a kindly regard for my mental and emotional health, which is not helped by reading awful stuff, even just to sample it.
Maybe I should have clarified. My personal vetting process for finding "what interests me" rarely results in something terrible enough for me to have considered my time wasted. I very rarely buy books on whim--famous author or no-name self-pubber.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #26
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One
Quote:
The horror isn't what's under the bed, but what's in it (figuratively 'speaking'). That's the real horror that writers like Stephen King and other serious writers wish to explore, in my opinion.

When the stories are 'outlandish' (a finger coming out of the sink), the real horror is the exploration of the consequences of that action and how it impacts upon the characters' lives (and, consequently, upon our own lives).
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:40 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
A stroke is not always a death sentence, but it is a life-changing event. Today (April 24th) I celebrate my one-year survival since having an ischemic stroke. The first 3 weeks I had to use a walker. The first few months I couldn’t even get my clothes on by myself. I had to use my right hand to eat. Fortunately, I can now control the left side of my body. Four months after my stroke, I was able to walk completely without assistance and now I’m walking again and able to drive.
Congratulations! For some reason, I hadn't seen/noticed that blurb before. I enjoy reading your posts, but I didn't know that about you.

(I will say that in some parts of the United States, having a stroke doesn't seem to keep people from driving. I suspect that being dead wouldn't keep some people from driving)
Old 08-01-2019, 12:46 PM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^ Thank you for the kind words.

Zombies driving golf-carts...I sense a story taking shape.

I have a finished poem: "Thirteen Ways of Looking at Horror Tropes". Here's number 8:

VIII.
Everyone in town was dead,
except for the zombies
who ambled down High Street
looking for brains,
even though most of them owned
late model cars and
had valid driver’s licenses.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-01-2019 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-02-2019, 01:52 AM   #29
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The horror isn't what's under the bed, but what's in it (figuratively 'speaking'). That's the real horror that writers like Stephen King and other serious writers wish to explore, in my opinion.

When the stories are 'outlandish' (a finger coming out of the sink), the real horror is the exploration of the consequences of that action and how it impacts upon the characters' lives (and, consequently, upon our own lives).
Yes, yes. What you say is true. That's why Bentley Little is a better author than Richard Laymon (to me).

But I was talking about what I remember reading in reviews, not what I personally thought.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #30
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes, yes. What you say is true. That's why Bentley Little is a better author than Richard Laymon (to me).

But I was talking about what I remember reading in reviews, not what I personally thought.

Oh, I agree totally. Bentley Little is one of my favorite writers in the Horror genre. He's a wonderful writer.

Laymon is fun, but he's like fast-food: delicious, but not recommended for everyday consumption.