Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Frontlit or Non-Frontlit E-Readers?
I prefer Frontlit E-Readers 96 88.07%
I prefer E-Readers without a Frontlight 13 11.93%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2019, 10:07 AM   #31
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Sure, but the Clara suffers from capacitive touch.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Where do you find it? I could only find Deja Vu Serif, but nothing that mentioned e-ink specifically.
I got it on MobileRead. Here's the link...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ghlight=dejavu

On the Tolinos this font wouldn't work right until I used an application to modify the font's internal name (had to be changed from "Book" to "Regular"), as suggested to me by Mr. Moe in the Tolino forum... here...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320540

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I mess with new fonts from time to time, but always seem to fall back to Google's Literata Book or their Noto Serif.
I'll take a look at these. Thanks.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I also exclusively use the Deja Vu E-Ink Serif font (actually, I think I got it from you) on all of my e-readers. The font just works the best for me!
I just linked you to someone else's work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
When using original fonts on e-readers, I have noticed that the contrast tends to be better to my eyes on the non-frontlit e-readers. So I used to prefer non-frontlit, but now I pretty much always use frontlit readers (mainly the Kobo Glo HD and Kobo Clara HD) with the Deja Vu font.
Same story for me. Deja Vu Serif E-Ink is what has made front-lit eReaders usable for me. I should probably donate a book to Katsunami. (Or at the very least, remember to mention and thank him (or her).)
Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Here you go, Zodwallop:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=224311

All due props to Katsunami, who added weight to DejaVu Serif to make it an excellent font for e-ink. Now that we can add fonts easily again, it has become my favorite. Very readable.
I was redundant again. Sorry.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:50 PM   #35
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
Worse contrast? That doesn't really make any sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
With the light completely off, the background screen color on my Kobo Clara is a little darker than that of my old Sony PRS-T3. However, the text on the Clara is clearer so it's still readable.
On my Glo and Glo HD readers, they definitely show much reduced contrast when the light is fully off. The background becomes gray instead of the white when the light is on, so of course that results in less contrast. The background color is about the same as my Sony PRS-350s were. For my eyesight (which I'll admit is crappy), I'd need quite a bit of external light to make reading comfortable without the front light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Deja Vu Serif E-Ink is what has made front-lit eReaders usable for me.
When I had my PRS-350s, I found that adding bolder fonts made a huge difference for me also being able to read in dimmer light. The trick I did then was to rename the bold font style I preferred to what the reader would recognize as the normal font, and instantly had bolder text and in any font style I preferred. It's something I still do on my Kobo readers.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2019, 07:24 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
When I had my PRS-350s, I found that adding bolder fonts made a huge difference for me also being able to read in dimmer light. The trick I did then was to rename the bold font style I preferred to what the reader would recognize as the normal font, and instantly had bolder text and in any font style I preferred. It's something I still do on my Kobo readers.
I didn't know you could do that (rename the font to the default so the reader would recognize it as the normal). I'll have to look into that once I'm reunited with my old readers. I found out that, on the T2, you can actually make the regular font much darker (and with better contrast) in the settings. Reader with the publisher's font seems to work pretty well when doing that. The screens on the Sonys seemed to have been consistently high in quality.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:38 PM   #37
Anabana
Zealot
Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire 7" & 10"; 11"(?)-12" Lenovo laptop
This thread made me realize that, even though I have a few ereaders without light, I always pick up the ones that DO have light. A Nook Simple Touch and a Nook Glow - I would grab the Glow -now it isn't working and can't get it to connect for an update..:^(, my (very old) Libre Pro was a great 'beginner' reader, it still works just fine. But I find that I tend to use the ones with a front light. Nook Glow before Nook Simple Touch, my Paperwhite before any of them (!) and if the front light devices need charging, I reach for my tablet... I just bought the new Paperwhite (32G with Bluetooth) - I'm SO HAPPY with it. I have some cheap - errrr - inexpensive Bluetooth ear buds that have surprisingly good voice quality so I'm very happy. Need a similar reader for all my non-Amazon books and audiobooks ....
Anabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:41 AM   #38
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, Kindle Voyage, iPad mini
I think the issue is largely moot: Amazon, Kobo, B&N do not sell eReaders without front light. The market has spoken!

It may be theoretically true that a given display will be clearer without front layers for the front light and touch screen but the front light expands the environments where reading is comfortable, without the need to carry around a separate book light as in the past.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:25 AM   #39
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 7th Gen, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I still reach for my non-lighted eReaders when I am going to be traveling and risk losing my device... they are "cheaper" and generally I am only reading outdoors/in full natural light or on a plane with a light overhead, so the frontlight is not generally required. I only recently got my first lit eReader but find it is very handy to keep at my bedside table for reading at night... although I do find the screens a little TOO bright at times, even on the lower settings! I believe my Paperwhite 2 is the bigger culprit of this, but hubby seems to manage sleeping through it (if I face it away from him of course!).
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:28 AM   #40
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 7th Gen, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I think the issue is largely moot: Amazon, Kobo, B&N do not sell eReaders without front light. The market has spoken!
True, true! They probably decided that they could not market eInk devices to "new" users if they couldn't even read them in the dark like their phones/tablets.

As long as I can switch off the light all the way, I am not really that bothered.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:57 AM   #41
Frenzie
Guru
Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.Frenzie can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
True, true! They probably decided that they could not market eInk devices to "new" users if they couldn't even read them in the dark like their phones/tablets.
I definitely "can't" read my phone in the dark, even at its lowest brightness… Perhaps I could use it as a reading light on a book though.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #42
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
I still reach for my non-lighted eReaders when I am going to be traveling and risk losing my device... they are "cheaper" and generally I am only reading outdoors/in full natural light or on a plane with a light overhead, so the frontlight is not generally required.
I never liked the overhead lights on planes or bedside lamps for reading. Hard to find a position where my hand doesn't cast a shadow on the screen.

I wanted a "cheaper" reader for travel as well. Alas, front light and at least 200ppi pixel density are both non-negotiable. The ability to run KOReader is also a big consideration. Thankfully, my main reader (PW4 32GB) is moderately priced enough that I'm not too scared to bring it with me when I travel. I don't think I'd take that risk with the Oasis, Aura One or Forma.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:42 PM   #43
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: koa2 wifi, b&n ngp, sony dpt-s1, sony prs-350
this makes no sense. if you don't want to use the front light, just don't turn it on.
the only exception is the older kindle where the light is at a very low level and cannot be turned off completely. but for the majority of readers, the front light can be completely turned off. just don't use it if it comes with it.

this is like saying i want to buy a knife that can cut chicken but not if the knife can also cut beef.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:47 PM   #44
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, iPad 9.7, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
this makes no sense. if you don't want to use the front light, just don't turn it on.
Some folks don’t like having an extra layer for the light diffuser as it can decrease contrast or make the display a bit more hazy.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 PM   #45
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: koa2 wifi, b&n ngp, sony dpt-s1, sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Some folks don’t like having an extra layer for the light diffuser as it can decrease contrast or make the display a bit more hazy.
understood, but the contrast on today's ereaders are so good that the light diffuser layer hardly makes a difference.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote