Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-14-2019, 02:38 AM   #31
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova ((previous Onyx Boox N96 ML, Onyx Boox i86ML Plus and M92)
Quote:
P.S.S.T. Don't tell anyone, but I've still only watched that first 6.5 minutes. I've been too busy reading to watch the rest yet .... ha ha ha ha.
That speaks about those those times we are living.
Lack of concentration.
Those damned popup from books
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:50 AM   #32
Timboli
Evangelist
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That speaks about those those times we are living.
Lack of concentration.
Those damned popup from books
Yep, for sure.

In my case, I have a short attention span for videos and a long one for books ... young people often seem to be quite the opposite these days ... and not only them.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2019, 08:21 AM   #33
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post
Yep, for sure.

In my case, I have a short attention span for videos and a long one for books ... young people often seem to be quite the opposite these days ... and not only them.
I know what you mean about attention span for video. If someone I know sends me a link to a video that they think I would enjoy, often I don't even look at it. If I do look but discover it's more than a couple minutes long I probably won't watch it. But if a friend or family member whose opinion I value were to recommend a good book I might get it and read the whole thing!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #34
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
It's obvious... if you want to read more books, read more/spend more time. Or read thinner books. I mainly read on public transport, so the longer my commute is, the more I read. Nowadays, my commute is only 30 minutes, which comes down to reading one hour per day.

I use my own page count in Calibre, and it turns out that I read exactly 30 pages in one hour. (Confirmed by both the KA1 "Time to Read" and me actually timing it.) If I don't read in the weekend, I'd be able to read one 300 page book in 10 hours, or two weeks. This would put me at around 26 books a year.

According to Calibre, I actually do read 26-34 books a year (average 30), because I also sometimes read a bit in the weekends. Also, some of my books aren't 300 pages; most are actually 400-600 with some even longer than that.

So... surprise, surprise... even if you read for only half an hour a day, excluding the weekends, you can _easily_ read 13 books a year.

If you include all days:

365 * 0.5 * 30 pages/hour = 5475 pages in one year, it'd be 18 books a year.

Keep in mind that my pages are "longer" than those in a paper book. I just counted the words on a page of 5 paperbacks (standard mass market from Del Rey), and 5 hardcovers (Lord of the Rings, Musashi, Shogun), and averaged the wordcount and then used that for Calibre. A "page" in an e-book, in my case, has no margins, and there isn't any whitespace anywhere. A 300 page e-book would probably be 400 pages or so in paper, due to the whitespace.

Taking this into account, reading 20+ 300 page (paper) books a year with only half an hour of reading each day is no great effort. (Assuming you read at average speed and have no disability or anything.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 07-14-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #35
Timboli
Evangelist
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to read over 100 books a year, but that often involved binge reading and staying up to the wee hours. I also got to the point where I was some kind of speed reader, and continually pushing myself. A good number of those books were epic fantasy ones of 800 pages or more.

Of course, life throws stuff at you and other interests and responsibilities come along, so a good year for me now, is about 60 books, though I read less than half that in the last couple of years. This year I am already around 30 so far, so looking good.

I still occasionally binge read, but not to the same degree as when younger, and I have many more breaks and distractions, and the resilience with lack of sleep is far less ... I must be getting old.

To be realistic though, books no longer grab me quite like they used to ... no doubt due to my more mature state of mind and the resulting critical analysis, which means I am not so easily enamored. I also find the pace of some writing to be tiring, so I will stop and have a breather, even if only a few minutes (perhaps make a cuppa) ... showing my age again.
Advert
Old 07-15-2019, 02:03 PM   #36
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
To be realistic though, books no longer grab me quite like they used to ... no doubt due to my more mature state of mind and the resulting critical analysis, which means I am not so easily enamored.
That's a entirely different, but interesting topic...

When reading a book, I sometimes I crack a smile because something is particularly funny, or I like a certain passage for some reason and I raise an eyebrow and think about it a bit. That's about it with regard to "being enamored."

Compare this to my girlfriend giggling continuously, laughing out loud and even squealing when reading a book (and not occasionally; sometimes multiple times per chapter, or even per page), and I often think to myself: "You're overdoing it. It's just a young adult fantasy novel... sjees."

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy (already).
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:41 PM   #37
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
To be realistic though, books no longer grab me quite like they used to ... no doubt due to my more mature state of mind and the resulting critical analysis, which means I am not so easily enamored. I also find the pace of some writing to be tiring, so I will stop and have a breather, even if only a few minutes (perhaps make a cuppa) ... showing my age again.
This is why I've adopted the strategy of analyzing whether or not a book "works" for me. I don't think I've ever been reading one where I could tell it wasn't working for me but I flogged myself to keep reading it and it ended up being a good read. If a book isn't working for me then I put it down and start the next one. We have a good library system in my county and that's where most of them come from; I usually have at least a dozen sitting on my book table. There are way too many books available so why should I waste my time reading books that I don't enjoy?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #38
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
That's a entirely different, but interesting topic...

When reading a book, I sometimes I crack a smile because something is particularly funny, or I like a certain passage for some reason and I raise an eyebrow and think about it a bit. That's about it with regard to "being enamored."

Compare this to my girlfriend giggling continuously, laughing out loud and even squealing when reading a book (and not occasionally; sometimes multiple times per chapter, or even per page), and I often think to myself: "You're overdoing it. It's just a young adult fantasy novel... sjees."

Hum, I'm getting on up there and I still find myself getting emotionally engaged in books that I read. Can't say that I've ever actually squealed while reading a book, being a manly sort of guy , but definitely I've laughed.

I will say that comedy in books seems to be a bit of a lost art though, but that could simply be because old fashion comedy a la Mel Brooks and such seems to be dying off.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 03:15 PM   #39
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
When reading a book, I sometimes I crack a smile because something is particularly funny...

Compare this to my girlfriend giggling continuously, laughing out loud and even squealing when reading a book... and I often think to myself: "You're overdoing it. It's just a young adult fantasy novel... sjees."

You think?

Don't worry, I'm old and grumpy too.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:10 PM   #40
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS-T3, T1
oops - posted in wrong thread

Last edited by 4691mls; 07-15-2019 at 05:30 PM. Reason: wrong thread
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #41
Timboli
Evangelist

Quote:
Well I guess you can like a story for all different sorts of reasons, and I can almost be heard to chuckle sometimes ... especially reading Terry Pratchett.

I guess by enamored, I mean I really enjoyed a story because it was well written, entertained me without jarring elements that made me struggle to believe.

No doubt the younger more naive I was, the easier to make me believe things. Now being older, I am more educated in life and people, so I question more things ... especially presumptions.

I'm not sure though, if maybe writing for some these days, is too easy, and they feel they can either take it easy and not work as hard at selling all elements of a story, or whether it is just the dictates or beliefs of a publisher or editor, that skew things.

Quote:
For sure, that is definitely over the top ... but some can't seem to help themselves and need to be quite visceral with their experiences.

Quote:
Could be. I certainly have my moments I suspect, where I think the author or maybe editor could have tried a bit harder to make you suspend disbelief. I really don't like it when you get thrown out of the illusion whilst reading a story, because the sense of something in it jars ... sometimes quite badly. I have had the same thing happen with movies.

Iron Man 3 was an example of that for me. A main element of the story sucked ... but at least I still enjoyed the action etc.

The perfect book example for me, was I think the 5th book in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. I thought she and or the editor had lost the plot big time, turning the whole show into a cheap Mills & Boon drama. I persevered until the end of the book, hoping for a reasonable explanation, of why the two main characters were so out of character, that I hated them. But no, I was just left believing it was a deliberate sellout. I've not read any of that series since or indeed any of her other work. None of it was helped by a few things she did elsewhere earlier in the series, that jarred ... the start of the second book in particular ... which I was able to get around with by taking notes to rearrange things, then coming back to start again a few months later, reading things in the proper order ... she did rather spoil things though, so I did not enjoy that book as much as I should have.

Last edited by Timboli; 07-28-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #42
Timboli
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
This is why I've adopted the strategy of analyzing whether or not a book "works" for me. I don't think I've ever been reading one where I could tell it wasn't working for me but I flogged myself to keep reading it and it ended up being a good read. If a book isn't working for me then I put it down and start the next one. We have a good library system in my county and that's where most of them come from; I usually have at least a dozen sitting on my book table. There are way too many books available so why should I waste my time reading books that I don't enjoy?
If I am not enjoying a story at all or enough, I stop.

Stories however can be liked for all sorts of reasons and to varying degrees. So I often keep reading, even though a story is not 100% great, just so long as there is enough redeeming factors.

This can be especially so for sequels, where yes the story is not as great as the original. However, just knowing about how things develop for characters or other elements, can be interesting or entertaining enough ... certainly for me. Not every story has to be an award winner to be worth reading ... and I question some award winners.

It can be a bit like music albums by a group or artist, where the next record gets canned because it is too much like the prior one. One cannot be endlessly inventive to the point of brilliance. In fact, more of the same, is just what many of us want, and makes a lot of sense really ... a bit like your partner or friends, who are great just as they are ... no need to always reinvent themselves.

I see that as a bit like the world of Middle Earth, that Tolkien created. What a wonderful world, steeped in all the background and history he gave it. Yet we only get two stories from such a rich world. I have never understood why the Tolkien family, Christopher especially, have not allowed more to surface by themselves or by other writers they could commission and have oversight with. Tolkien worked most of his life on that project, and most of the later works, brought to publication by his son Christopher, are not very approachable to most readers. They at least could be re-written more in the vein of The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings, and less like somewhat complex dry histories. I say that having read and enjoyed many of them. I still remain hopeful, that one day, one or more of the grandchildren, may deliver.

Last edited by Timboli; 07-28-2019 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #43
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If I am not enjoying a story at all or enough, I stop.

Stories however can be liked for all sorts of reasons and to varying degrees. So I often keep reading, even though a story is not 100% great, just so long as there is enough redeeming factors.
I agree but unfortunately for me what makes a book enjoyable has become very narrow; the author has to care about the main character and make me care about them. Or make them interesting and have humor. I'd say that at most about 10% of the books I get from the library fit this criteria; looking at how many stars it has on Amazon or Goodreads hasn't helped or only helps minimally.
Old 07-28-2019, 02:52 PM   #44
Timboli
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I agree but unfortunately for me what makes a book enjoyable has become very narrow; the author has to care about the main character and make me care about them. Or make them interesting and have humor. I'd say that at most about 10% of the books I get from the library fit this criteria; looking at how many stars it has on Amazon or Goodreads hasn't helped or only helps minimally.
Personally I don't like reviews or online recommendations, where I don't know the reader.

Luckily I have so much backlog (mostly physical books), that I rarely find myself looking for new authors. The ones I do come across, are purely by accident or recommended by friend or family (and BookBub ... see later).

And it seems I was pretty good at picking books, certainly physical ones (at least so far). I have several books in series by authors I have or had never read ... that's confidence for you.

With new authors, point of contact would have been title and cover, then the price (or vice-a-versa), then if okay the blurb. If I thought the blurb was okay, then I would open the book to some middle portion at random, and read for a bit. If I liked the style at that point, then I would buy.

Or the price may have been why I looked at all ... most new authors for me, coming from sales tables.

At this point, most of my collection probably qualifies as new authors, even though I bought the book a good while ago, even decades ... that's how far behind I am.

And strictly speaking, I do obtain lots of new authors now, mostly on a daily basis, but generally only freebies from a BookBub daily email.

I actually read one of those for the first time the other day ... one out of about two thousand I have obtained so far ... my wife has read a few though ... cozy mysteries.

Amazon must hate me ... ha ha ha ... all those freebies, and I have only read one so far ... it did lead to two sales for the same author though.

Aside from that, I would probably hate to be starting out as a reader now ... so much to choose from ... and where do you start? Harry Potter most likely ... then where to from there? Decisions decisions ... based on what? Probably movies.

Last edited by Timboli; 07-28-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-28-2019, 10:09 PM   #45
lumpynose
Wizard

I'll give BookBub a try.