Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-19-2019, 06:26 PM   #1
qwert
qwert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Should I return the Onyx Note Pro? Did I make a mistake passing up the Note?

$630+ doesn't seem worth it. I don't know why, but the background of my Kobo Aura H20 edition 1 with the frontlight off is so much whiter than the Onyx also with the light turned off. They're both Carta I believe, so shouldn't they be the same? I fiddled with the Onyx frontlight and it takes a mix of warm/cool halfway across the light bar to reach a similar page color.

Also, for some reason, without the light on, the onyx is basically unreadable for me though I have terrible eyesight so that might be a factor. It has a dingey gray-blue cast with the front light off that doesn't go away unless tilted in the light at exactly the right angle. I didn't expect the dpi to matter so much, but how is it possible that the letters are large and blurry? It's worse than me printing on a white page.

I really liked the idea of an ereader this size, and the notes option was pretty good. I bought it to use for pdfs, but the text is awful to read for pdfs as well. I've tried adjusting for contrast/boldness and switching to a different font. I did some research and thought this was the best ereader atm for this size, but this is so disappointing. I thought that the text was "darker" on the Note Pro vs the Note from a review video, which may be true, but the page is dark too. I thought about getting the Max 2, but if the dpi is an issue here, I can only imagine how much worse it is with a larger screen. I already have a headache from trying to read on it.
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
With their lights off the Kindle Oasis and Kobo Forma have the same dingey color cast as the Note Pro. Looking at an epub on the Note Pro is just as good as it is on the Kindle and Kobo; nice and sharp. I tried a PDF but couldn't figure out how to make the page bigger and the text is so tiny that it's nearly impossible to read.

But I didn't buy the Note Pro for PDFs; I was hoping that the large screen would be easier to read. My problem is that for me the Note Pro software is just really crappy. I think it's too slow for Android and Android has a very poor user interface. And it's never obvious how to do what I want to. A dedicated e-reader has a better user interface. Between the Kobo and the Kindle the Kobo is far superior and its 8 inch screen is better than the Kindle's 7 inch screen.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2019, 12:14 AM   #3
qwert
qwert began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
That's terrible news. I'm considering a Forma now. When you say the same color cast, do you mean the shade is almost the same or exactly the same as the Note Pro with the light off? It's unperceptible on my crappy phone camera, but very apparent in person. I find the Note Pro noticeably grayer and the contrast worse than the Kobo H20 with the light off, which is strange because aren't they both carta other than the Note Pro having glass?

I bought it primarily for pdfs, but epubs were not great either. I find the software to be okay, I figured things out and it was pretty easy to crop pages, adjust text size, reflow, etc. but the base color of the page is so distractingly blue-gray and the text is just not crisp enough.
qwert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:18 AM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
The color cast looks to be the same to me. On the kobo I don't find it particularly objectionable since I turn up the internal light just a wee bit, 3%, with the orange light up as high as it can go.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:34 AM   #5
Faeryink
Zealot
Faeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmosFaeryink has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2
To compare the e-ink screens I find that the surrounding frame and the size may affect our perception. So I have a small experiment, take a printer paper (A4/letter, white) and cut a hole in the centre about 5 cm in diameter. Prepare the same number of paper pieces per e-reader and then compare the e-ink screens with their lights completely turned off and observe in natural light side by side. I also do the same experiment with different light sources.
I thought that the Kindle paperwhite seemed whiter before this experiment and after doing this test I could barely see the difference. I don't have a Note pro or note, but I did have Nova Pro which I returned as I don't like front light on my e-reader. I have Onyx Max 2 Pro and I like the slight yellow/cream background compared to the white Kindle Paperwhite (front light).

Last edited by Faeryink; 06-19-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Faeryink is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert