Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-11-2019, 03:28 AM   #1
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
invisible del / "line-through"

I had some text that was supposed to be crossed out, it was formatted <strike>

-- editing the book in epub in Sigil, to export to azw3 using kindlegen.

<strike> seemed ok on screen and kindlegen had no problem, but epubcheck says "Error while parsing file 'element "strike" not allowed anywhere".

So I made a test page:
<h2><del>del</del><br/>
<strike>strike</strike><br/>
<s>s s s </s><br/>
<span style="text-decoration-line: line-through;"> text-decoration-line: line-through; </span><br/>
<span style="text-decoration: line-through;"> text-decoration: line-through; </span>
</h2>

epubcheck also whines about <s>

On Sigil preview, all work the same except "text-decoration-line" which has no effect.

Made AZW3 and loaded on a PW3 -- see screencap.

At first, I can see no lines at all. Peering closely, I see the line-through: it is just one pixel high. On a 300 dpi screen, this is imperceptible.

Are there any ways to get a thicker line-through?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	strike.png
Views:	241
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	170182  

Last edited by AlanHK; 03-11-2019 at 05:02 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I pasted your code into an empty EPUB, converted it using kindlegen and sideloaded it onto my Oasis 2 running 5.10.3 firmware. The result was extremely thin lines for strike-through as you reported.

As a second test I converted the same EPUB to KFX and sideloaded that to see how it would look using enhanced typesetting. The result was a strike-though of a more appropriate thickness. (See image.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2019_03_11T08_23_32-0400.png
Views:	230
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	170183  
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #3
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
KFX and sideloaded that to see how it would look using enhanced typesetting. The result was a strike-though of a more appropriate thickness. (See image.)
Thanks.
6 pixels thick in KFX, as opposed to 1 for KF8

So Amazon fixed it for KFX, meaning they know it's a problem.
I wonder if they are going to leave things like that broken in KF8 rendering as a way to make KFX seem necessary?

Still would like to solve the problem for KF8.
I know you can make configurable underlines with borders. Is there a similar hack for strike-through?

Last edited by AlanHK; 03-11-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Thanks.
6 pixels thick in KFX, as opposed to 1 for KF8

So Amazon fixed it for KFX, meaning they know it's a problem.
I wonder if they are going to leave things like that broken in KF8 rendering as a way to make KFX seem necessary?

Still would like to solve the problem for KF8.
I know you can make configurable underlines with borders. Is there a similar hack for strike-through?
Have you tried setting a font for it, by any mad chance? Or, alternatively, using text-decoration:line-through, with a bold font weight? I freely admit, I've never had to deal with this, so these are random ideas.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:06 AM   #5
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Have you tried setting a font for it, by any mad chance? Or, alternatively, using text-decoration:line-through, with a bold font weight?
Whatever font, whatever size, bold or regular; the strike line is always one pixel on the Kindle with AZW3.

It's not a thing you need much, but when you do you do want it to be visible.
When they upgraded the hardware dpi, you'd think they would have looked at all the code that specced things in pixels.

Last edited by AlanHK; 03-21-2019 at 12:10 AM.
Advert
Old 03-21-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHK View Post
Whatever font, whatever size, bold or regular; the strike line is always one pixel on the Kindle with AZW3.

It's not a thing you need much, but when you do you do want it to be visible.
When they upgraded the hardware dpi, you'd think they would have looked at all the code that specced things in pixels.
Did you try the text-decoration:line-through, or is that the same result?

Hitch
Old 03-22-2019, 05:03 AM   #7
AlanHK
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Did you try the text-decoration:line-through, or is that the same result?

Hitch
Yeah, see the test code and screen cap in the first post.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:36 AM   #8
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Just noodling around... Could you "hard-code" the text that needs the strike-through by using an embedded font for just that limited text string? I mean by using a font face that actually has a strike-through slash across the glyph.

I saw this font, there must be others around. Or perhaps someone could edit an open-source font for you.
https://www.dafont.com/jmh-typewriter-mono.font
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Just noodling around... Could you "hard-code" the text that needs the strike-through by using an embedded font for just that limited text string? I mean by using a font face that actually has a strike-through slash across the glyph.

I saw this font, there must be others around. Or perhaps someone could edit an open-source font for you.
https://www.dafont.com/jmh-typewriter-mono.font
Yes, this is what I was actually asking--setting a bold font or heavier weight font JUST for the strikethrough. Granted, there are some tricky aspects with that (x-heights and all that), but...?

Hitch