Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #61
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hmmm.....I never got an email or any notice. I just happened to see a news article saying that I must upgrade by tomorrow so started checking around.

My K2 had NOT updated automatically. I downloaded the update file and just did a manual update. It seemed to work fine.

Just to confirm this does not affect Kindle Fire (original) right? it's just the eink screens?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just to confirm this does not affect Kindle Fire (original) right? it's just the eink screens?
That does seem to be the case, yes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #63
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That does seem to be the case, yes.
Thanks Harry. I just checked the version on my original Kindle Fire and it seems to be up to date in any case.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #64
Alpha o
Addict
Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alpha o ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Darwin, inkBOOK Obsidian
Got a notice and checked the Touch. The update is already on the kindle, and the option to update is greyed out. In fact, I think it updated when I had it down in the kitchen for recipes only last year. Turned on wifi and it updated.

We share the Touch. Husband decided he liked buying books online. Copy was there, and more of a plot synopsis so I let him use the Touch. Did also register it for him so he could buy books. I prefer reading on the Kobo and he likes the Kindle. It is not unavailable to me. He doesn't read in the morning so I can grab it and buy books.
Alpha o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:01 AM   #65
Shahi
Shahi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 UK 3G (B00A)
Hi guys,
I have Kindle 3 Keyboard 3G UK (serial B00A).

Yesterday I had to update firmware from 3.1 to 3.4.2 to keep Amazon services working. Before that I had to reset my Kindle to factory defaults (had a lot of stuff on it and jailbreaked, so wasn't able to update firmware without reset).

Now I have to install everything back.

Which jailbreak do I have to install? I downloaded kindle-jailbreak-0.13.N.zip, but there are a lot of bins inside with different names. Which one should I install for my B00A UK Kindle keyboard 3G? And, by the way, will this kindle-jailbreak-0.13.N.zip work on 3.4.2 firmware?
Shahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2016, 11:08 AM   #66
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Kindle Serial Numbers

Identify your device nickname and match it to the bin suffix.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 11:23 AM   #67
Shahi
Shahi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 UK 3G (B00A)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Kindle Serial Numbers

Identify your device nickname and match it to the bin suffix.

Thank you for the link. I found the nickname.
Shahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:00 PM   #68
ryoanji
ryoanji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I have kindle dx graphite. Sometime ago I jailbroke it and updated to K3 keyboard firmware for better browsing experience. My DX will not update automatically, I downloaded the file to update, and I am 100% sure that I will loose my jailbreak once I update. Can I rejailbrake it afterwards? Anybody has any experiences with that?
ryoanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #69
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should be able to rejailbreak -- the exploit hasn't been sealed.

Which update did you download?
Old 03-21-2016, 04:59 PM   #70
ryoanji
ryoanji began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Thank you. Update is
Update_kindle_2.5.8_B009.bin

Also, when I tried to update within Kindle, the option was greyed out. I contacted CSR and they suggested to install
update-caupdate-09.bin

which is Kindle Services update. That worked, but I didn't had a chance yet to install the main update file.

EDIT: Everything went better then I thought it would be. I installed the patch, it didn't affect the jailbreak and I am on K3 keyboard firmware. So far so good. Thank you for help

Last edited by ryoanji; 03-21-2016 at 08:30 PM.
ryoanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:01 PM   #71
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suggest you speak to Kindle Customer Service.
I did, about two days ago. They tell me that both devices have, indeed, been update. What was throwing me was that you're supposed to get a "03-21 Update" letter/message in your "recent items" after a successful update. I never got such a notice; not on either device.

Thanks, Harry T.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:07 PM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
I did, about two days ago. They tell me that both devices have, indeed, been update. What was throwing me was that you're supposed to get a "03-21 Update" letter/message in your "recent items" after a successful update. I never got such a notice; not on either device.

Thanks, Harry T.
I don't think I've ever had that. I just look at the firmware version in the "Device Info" menu screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #73
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoanji View Post
Thank you. Update is
Update_kindle_2.5.8_B009.bin

Also, when I tried to update within Kindle, the option was greyed out. I contacted CSR and they suggested to install
update-caupdate-09.bin

which is Kindle Services update. That worked, but I didn't had a chance yet to install the main update file.

EDIT: Everything went better then I thought it would be. I installed the patch, it didn't affect the jailbreak and I am on K3 keyboard firmware. So far so good. Thank you for help
Where did you get this update-caupdate-09.bin from? Amazon doesn't appear to have made it publicly available.
Old 03-22-2016, 03:16 PM   #74
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post

Thanks, Harry T.
I got both letters after the update.
The one telling me it was updated didn't arrive until the next day.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:14 PM   #75
sir_stoffer
sir_stoffer began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I am trying to update today, but the option is greyed out.

I have a Kindle Touch (B011) with JBpatch and collections manager. Can't remember when I installed them, but it was years ago.

My device info says FW: 5.1.2 (1679530004)
and JB Patch 26/52 (v2.4.1)

I downloaded the patches as directed by the Amazon page (which says to install 5.3.2.1 first) but it's not working. Also tried uninstalling jbpatch, but that doesn't work either...

What should I do; should I do anything?

FWIW, 99.99 % of my books are freeware.
sir_stoffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon, paperwhite, update