Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #1
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Kindle Oasis 9th Generation Demo Mode

Hi, I don't think anybody will be able to help, but it is worth a try.

Amazon has made some changes on how their demo mode works on their Kindles.

There is a screen that says tap to learn more, and when you tap the screen it brings you to the home screen of the Kindle. See example in image 1.
The problem is that if the Kindle is no longer connected to Wifi, and you tap the screen that says tap to learn more, it won't bring you the the home screen. Instead it brings you to a slideshow of full screen images that you can page through. See example in image 2.

I have a quite of few of Kindle Oasis 9th's in demo mode, and obviously they are not connected to WiFi anymore. It is impossible for me to connect to WiFi since all I can access is the full screen image slideshow.

If they were connected to Wifi, when I would tap, tap to learn more, it would bring me to the homescreen, and then I could use the search bar to remove it from demo mode.

Any suggestions on what I can do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190503_101606.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	792.5 KB
ID:	171238   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190503_101614.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	725.4 KB
ID:	171239  
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 10:46 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
connect Kindle <-> PC with USB cable.
Run Wireshark on PC (Wireshark can monitor USB ports as well as network ports).
Step Kindle through all of the actions you can think of - see if any of them happens to start something useful, like ADB (The KOA2 is one of the "Androidized" models).
I.E: Pretend you are exploring an Android device (which it is, at least in part, the parts that run early, before switching to the Amazon/Linux system).

Note: Wireshark is available for all common PC systems:
https://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Last edited by knc1; 05-03-2019 at 02:18 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:58 PM   #3
Pheelo
Pheelo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 9th Gen
Did you guys find anything new about this issue? Same Demo-mode problem here...

Thank you!
Pheelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
SKK
Addict
SKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneSKK makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: N/A
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I didn't figure out anything. I do know it is possible to access the device from a computer somehow, and remove it from demo mode. I know of someone that has done it, but they wouldn't tell me how to do it.
SKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #5
melksnor
Goodest E-Reader
melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melksnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 500 / Kindle 5th / Kindle PW4
@skk did you ever figure this out?
melksnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 11:43 AM   #6
sianmagnus
sianmagnus began at the beginning.

Device: KOA2 (Demo)
I know this is an old thread. But wanted to leave the little bit of information some where.

With the power button facing down (when held).
Reboot the unit (long hold power)
When the system is loading (progress bar) This is the only part I have some recollection.
Hold the top page turn button (I think) and release before it is done loading.

Not sure when to start holding or when to release. I was not paying attention, just got through removing the old screen putting a new one on. Not thinking anything would work.
I do not have a second unit to try it on and repeat the process to confirm or refine.

This got me into the home screen. ;demo (in search bar) to bring up the menu and change it to resell.
If it is fully charged it will tell you to wait for the battery to drain a bit. This is so it is ready to be shipped.

Hope someone else can test and confirm.
sianmagnus is offline   Reply With Quote