Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-08-2019, 09:26 AM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It's the end of the world

Today's Guardian has an article "Top 10 end-of-the-world novels" and included with works by such titans as Crichton, Ballard and Vonnegut is Quantum Night by MobileRead poster Robert J Sawyer.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
The sky IS falling!!!

Congrats to Mr. Sawyer!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Congratulations.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:24 AM   #4
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Today's Guardian has an article "Top 10 end-of-the-world novels" and included with works by such titans as Crichton, Ballard and Vonnegut is Quantum Night by MobileRead poster Robert J Sawyer.
Very interesting article, but somewhat expensive
Thank you.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Very interesting article, but somewhat expensive
Thank you.
It's not obligatory to pay £1. I didn't. I just clicked the x But maybe it's different if you're in another country.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:36 AM   #6
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
It's not obligatory to pay £1. I didn't. I just clicked the x But maybe it's different if you're in another country.
I didn't either. But I bought some of the books.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #7
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Although sci-fi is about my least favorite genre, I think I'll have to read Mr Sawyer's book. As a grad student I took quantum mechanics and a book with quantum consciousness as a theme sounds intriguing. I've always wanted to read Crichtion's Andomeda Strain, being one of my favorite movies from the 60s. Other apocalyptic books I've tried I quickly put down or had to slug through. Station 11 was a decent read and a little lighter twist on the genre.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Was The Andromeda Strain the movie with a train in it? I very vaguely remember that.
Old 05-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Was The Andromeda Strain the movie with a train in it? I very vaguely remember that.
I don't remember a train. Underground silo.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:44 AM   #10
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I don't remember a train. Underground silo.
I took a quick look at imdb and realised that I'm thinking of another film involving a deadly virus. Can't remember the name of it.

EDIT: did some googling, I'm thinking of The Cassandra Crossing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cassandra_Crossing

There's a novel by Robert Katz; not sure if the film is based on the book or vice vers.

Another Edit: The film is available on youtube, until it gets taken down!

Last edited by BookCat; 05-13-2019 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:52 AM   #11
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
No train that I recall. The movie starts with the government investigating a small town where everyone was dead (except an old drunk and newborn baby. A satellite had crashed there, brining some mutant space bug with it. The event started a 'wildfire' alert and called up some of the nations top scientists to research and combat the bug. It was researched in an underground silo which would blow up if the researchers thought the bug was going to escape.

Last edited by drofgnal; 05-14-2019 at 05:38 AM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
No train that I recall. The movie starts with the government investigating a small town where everyone was dead (except and old drunk and newborn baby. A satellite had crashed there, brining some mutant space bug with it. The event started a 'wildfire' alert and called up some of the nations top scientists to research and combat the bug. It was researched in an underground silo which would blow up if the researchers thought the bug was going to escape.
See post #10.