Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #1
theboardrider
theboardrider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Air 2, Kindle Cloud, iPhone 5c, MacBook 5,1
Adding a Blank Page

This is my first time trying to edit a book in Calibre editor, and it was going great. However, I noticed a page that didn't seem to follow, and unbeknownst to me, it had deleted page 7. This in of itself sucks, as I can't find it or get it back. But I am wililng to recreate it and insert it.

What's the best way to do this? I tried to search all the editor tools for an "insert blank page," command and cannot find one.

Does anyone know how to simply insert a blank page? I figured there might be an option, somewhat like adding a blank page in PowerPoint, but can't find anything.

Or perhaps, has anyone had this happen? Do you know how to try and recover a page? Maybe it wasn't there to begin with...or more likely I probably hit something in error and deleted a whole page. Either way, is there a way to recover a missing page?

If someone can instruct me on how to find my missing pagepage, I'll be super grateful. But regardless, I'd like to know how to add a blank, just for future reference. And if nobody knows how to recover, then I need to know how to add a blank page for continuity purposes of this current project!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by theboardrider; 04-03-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Forgot Tags
theboardrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboardrider View Post
This is my first time trying to edit a book in Calibre editor, and it was going great. However, I noticed a page that didn't seem to follow, and unbeknownst to me, it had deleted page 7. This in of itself sucks, as I can't find it or get it back. But I am wililng to recreate it and insert it.

What's the best way to do this? I tried to search all the editor tools for an "insert blank page," command and cannot find one.

Does anyone know how to simply insert a blank page? I figured there might be an option, somewhat like adding a blank page in PowerPoint, but can't find anything.

Or perhaps, has anyone had this happen? Do you know how to try and recover a page? Maybe it wasn't there to begin with...or more likely I probably hit something in error and deleted a whole page. Either way, is there a way to recover a missing page?

If someone can instruct me on how to find my missing pagepage, I'll be super grateful. But regardless, I'd like to know how to add a blank, just for future reference. And if nobody knows how to recover, then I need to know how to add a blank page for continuity purposes of this current project!

Thanks in advance.
Ebooks do not have pages. They flow from 1 screen to the next.

Ebooks do have page breaks (a XHTML command) that forces a new screen ON SOME DEVICES.
the stylesheet should have in a (pagebreak) style;
Code:
pagebreak-before-always
Other choices are after or inside and avoid

File: Newfile: <name it.xhtml>: OK
Then drag it to where you want in the file browser. While there, right-click: Link stylesheets just in case you want to place something in that file
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboardrider View Post

Thanks in advance.
@theboardrider - it's probably too late but within an editing session you can take checkpoints, see Editor Checkpoints.

I have a feeling that there are also 'automatic' checkpoints - there is certainly one taken when an editing session starts, so if something screws up it's easy to start again. The checkpointing options are at the top of the Edit menu.

I do new pages by inserting a blank paragraph that uses a css entry that has page-break-after: always; in it. Not sure if that's the right or best way, but it works for my limited needs.

Added : as theducks already said in ePUBs there is no such thing as a blank page in the Powerpoint sense, an EPUB is more like Word. In fact if you import a DOCX into the editor that has Page Breaks in it, then a CSS entry will be created with the page-break-after: always; entry.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-03-2015 at 05:52 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
On the global toolbar, there should be an Add file icon. Also in the "File" menu.

Just type the name of the new file you wish to create, in this case a .xhtml file. It will create an empty file with that name.

Also take a look at checkpoints. They allow you to rollback changes, and all global actions create one. Additionally, one is pre-supplied to go back to when you opened the book. You can also create and name your own checkpoints.
Checkpoints are per-session only, and disappear when you exit.

Edit: Beaten... twice. Good job, theducks, BR.
No action for an hour, then we all answer at once.

Last edited by eschwartz; 04-03-2015 at 05:49 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@eschwartz - and we're in total agreement, I should close the thread to thwart any dissent

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
add, blank, blank page, caliber, editor