Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
poutine
poutine doesn't litterpoutine doesn't litter

Device: nook
NookDevs 2.4.1 Softroot/ROM Released

I packaged this up, simplified the instructions on the website, and released it today, enjoy:

http://nookdevs.com/Softroot

Included Features/Software:
* ADB over USB
* NookLibrary 0.1.0 - Allows for better organization of sideloaded books with enhanced sorting abilities.
* NookBrowser 0.0.9 - Predates the official browser, some different functionality.
* NookFileManager 0.0.2 - Allows you to deal with filesystem operations without needing ADB.
* Nooklets (rev:3) - Allows for mini javascript/web games to be easily made for the nook.
* Trook (rev:68) - RSS Reader, Allows syncing with Calibre
* mynook.ru Launcher - This allows for 3rd party applications to be installed and executed.
* Non-Market App Fixes - The Android system was modified to allow non-market apps to be install/upgraded
* Helper Scripts - A minimal amount of helper scripts have been written to help with Softroot/ROM upgrades.

It really is a nice and polished release this time.
poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Atomix
Enthusiast
Atomix began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
The only thing I care about is the battery draining. Is it fully fixed?
If I am going to use RSS feeds, will I experience a quick battery draining?
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
Roy Boy
Roy Boy began at the beginning.

Device: nook hifi
Very nicely polished. Cool icons. Seems smoother too. In other words, I like it!
Roy Boy
Roy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Idegen
Idegen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi
What is the recommended upgrade path from the previous Softroot version? Does one have to downgrade to 1.0 first?
Idegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Roy Boy
Roy Boy began at the beginning.

Device: nook hifi
To upgrade softroot, download file, install and reboot. Very easy.

The procedure is longer for new softroot installs.

The fb2 reader will have to be reinstalled. It is not part of softroot. I have not done this yet.

It's best to go ahead and read the procedure at http://nookdevs.com/Softroot.
Roy Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:07 PM   #6
Idegen
Idegen began at the beginning.

Device: Nook wifi
Thanks. I must have missed the directions when I looked earlier.
Idegen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
poutine

Atomix, I have read there are some issues with the wifi lock with Trook. I do not know whether that bug has been fixed, if you want to be absolutely certain trook does not drain battery when not in use, quit it from the settings screen, I will be asking about that before the next softroot release to see if we can get that fixed.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 AM   #8
Atomix
Enthusiast
Atomix began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutine View Post
I will be asking about that before the next softroot release to see if we can get that fixed.
Thanks, that would be much appreciated.
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #9
poutine

I have spoken with craftycoder, and he has told me that the wifi issue should be alleviated in the version of trook found here:

http://code.google.com/p/nookdevs/do...k.apk&can=2&q=

You can download it there and do

adb install -r trook.apk

or..

you can wait until the next softroot/rom release.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

I downloaded the soft root 2.4.1, reverted back to 1.00 as per instructions, loaded the 2.4.1 onto my memory card, and now I have a few questions.

The launcher seems to be a modified version of the 1.4 icons and separating out the two games on the nook. The buttons are no longer rounded, but they do appear shiny rather than the flat colors used on 1.1. Other than that and a B&N button which looks like it keeps the same icons but combines the games under one icon, I see no difference between the soft root launcher and the 1.4 launcher I had previously.

I don't see a Trook icon, a launcher settings icon, or anything else that looks new. It also didn't ask which browser I wanted to use, which I've seen was present in earlier versions. In short, other than shiny squared buttons and a couple cosmetic changes, I don't see any difference nor can I access the features I expected to find.

Finally, when I plugged my nook into my PC, it tried to find a driver for the ADB and couldn't. I downloaded the Windows version and when I had the installer browse to that folder, it said it couldn't find a driver...odd.

Not sure what's happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutine View Post
I packaged this up, simplified the instructions on the website, and released it today, enjoy:

http://nookdevs.com/Softroot

Included Features/Software:
* ADB over USB
* NookLibrary 0.1.0 - Allows for better organization of sideloaded books with enhanced sorting abilities.
* NookBrowser 0.0.9 - Predates the official browser, some different functionality.
* NookFileManager 0.0.2 - Allows you to deal with filesystem operations without needing ADB.
* Nooklets (rev:3) - Allows for mini javascript/web games to be easily made for the nook.
* Trook (rev:68) - RSS Reader, Allows syncing with Calibre
* mynook.ru Launcher - This allows for 3rd party applications to be installed and executed.
* Non-Market App Fixes - The Android system was modified to allow non-market apps to be install/upgraded
* Helper Scripts - A minimal amount of helper scripts have been written to help with Softroot/ROM upgrades.

It really is a nice and polished release this time.
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
press and hold the touch screen in the launcher menu until "+" appears in the left corner, press "+" to get extra buttons
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:35 AM   #12
WJMuldowney
Connoisseur
WJMuldowney began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
press and hold the touch screen in the launcher menu until "+" appears in the left corner, press "+" to get extra buttons
Thanks...that worked.
WJMuldowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
shelties4me
shelties4me began at the beginning.

Device: Jet Book
What is Softroot ?
What does sideload mean?
Thankyou
shelties4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #14
6502programmer
6502programmer began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelties4me View Post
What is Softroot ?
What does sideload mean?
Softroot is a custom firmware for the nook device. It offers the ability to connect to the shell on the device, access linux commands, remotely control it, and access low-level functions. Through this access, you can run applications such as a custom library that integrates downloads from the B&N store and sideloads (see next paragraph), has good search capabilities, understands tags, etc. It also lets you run trook (an RSS reader that can download books from a Calibre content server), a file manager that lets you move, rename, and delete files without connecting to a computer. There's an enhanced PDF viewer that you can download that has landscape mode, zoom, and some other stuff (I wouldn't know, because non-text PDF's are the equivalent of broken files, to me).

Sideload means that you load files through a computer, through downloading through trook, or some means other than downloading from the B&N store.

If you only read books through B&N, you're probably better off leaving things alone. If you're not technical and are afraid to play with things, again, you should leave it alone. If you do a lot of reading of PDF's, if you load EPUB's through your computer, or if you're just looking to geek out, give softroot a whirl.
6502programmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #15
Reader2
intentionally left blank
Reader2 began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook (display damage) so 2nd: Nook still working; Sony hardly used;
Hi, I just switched from BeBook/OpenInkPot to ... Nook firmware 1.4
and I wondered if Softroot would give me back my
- folder organsiation
- recent read list
also I was curious if the Softroot browser will display de calibre-content-webpages decent and let me allow to download/open the epubs on those pages ... or otherwise pushes the news to the Nook.
One of the arguments for the nook was the open firmware and android design promissing better features.

So I tried the procedure, guess: it worked (as I read recently I was lucky with my 1002..... serial).
This one is triky "press and hold the touch screen in the launcher menu until "+" appears in the left corner, press "+" to get extra buttons".
Great it supports the (calibre) tags with my_library_nookdevs, and maps with filemanager and (almost, the trook does not yet seem to support calibre 7+) gives me access to the calibre-content-server.

Great job.
Regards

Last edited by Reader2; 08-15-2010 at 01:21 PM. Reason: more insight
Reader2 is offline   Reply With Quote